How-To : AWR Rear Mount Install

cfpkiller said:
took me 1 hr to do both...im a mechanic so i had a lift and all the tools. the job was a b**** tho!!!!!!! damn mount nuts were tight as s***!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (rant)

do you know what the shop charge is on the rear mount? I'm considering just paying a shop to do it.

Just did the front mount this past weekend, and I rear some of you would like some better photos to help for point of referrence. I hope they help. On a side note, the car vibrates more with just the front mount changed out--like I'm driving over those cuts in the road before you come to the toll booth or something...except that's when I'm at idle. When driving I feel little more vibration through the car. If it means I don't have to replace anymore cracked midpipes, I'll be a happy camper.

Attachments

• step1frontAWR.jpg
    step1frontAWR.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 418
  • step2AWR.JPG
    step2AWR.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 401
  • step3AWR.JPG
    step3AWR.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 422
  • step4AWRrear.JPG
    step4AWRrear.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 422
Last edited:
i have more pic.s of install for the rear and even tools needed. i think now that youve done the front only, the rear stock will be more likely to fail. if ur good and have all the tools, u can do the rear in 2 hours. you can also come over to my house and ill help? i dont know... BUT, get the right tools and do the rear also. wat durometer did u install? not the 95 i hope...

tallrd said:
Just did the front mount this past weekend, and I rear some of you would like some better photos to help for point of referrence. I hope they help. On a side note, the car vibrates more with just the front mount changed out--like I'm driving over those cuts in the road before you come to the toll booth or something...except that's when I'm at idle. When driving I feel little more vibration through the car. If it means I don't have to replace anymore cracked midpipes, I'll be a happy camper.

thats not too bad, but its doable by yourself...
edit: maybe its not doable by yourself. i forgot hoo i was talkin about. HA, JK!

InFeXIoN said:
the shop here was gonna charge me to do my front sway and rear motor mount for 75 bux

my mounts are the 70 durometer, and although I appreciate your offer to help me out in person, I'm not so sure the gas money and time off from work would justify it ;) (I'm in Madison, WI).

If it's only $75-$100 bucks then it's *completely* worth passing along the headache to a paid professional. I'm going to have a shop install mine unless they come back with a $150+ estimate or something like that.

rear mount now installed

Did the mount this weekend, and all I can say is great write up (thumb) . Once I read them while looking at the car it all made perfect sense. Those directions saved me and my buddy (a mechanic thank god) probably 1-2 hours of frusrated swearing fits.

One thing to note is how much more the engine vibrates the car. I'm not diggin' that at all. When at idle with the headlights and heat on, the car's working just hard enough to shake the rear view mirror and maybe stimulate a female driver/passenger (for better or worse). I hope that it settles in a bit, because it's a bit UNsettling as of now.

+rep for the how to.

it will mellow out quite a bit when they break in, mine took about a month but after that they are not near as bad

A.V.MSP said:
it will mellow out quite a bit when they break in, mine took about a month but after that they are not near as bad

(cool) man, I hope I can say the same after a month.

it will still vibrate but not as much. you should be happy with them. I was nervous after people on here were saying its really bad but its not.

man, ur complainin about the 70s? I have the 95s. I kind of wish I had the 70s, but right now I have the 95s. the rear view mirror is useless... ha!

tallrd said:
(cool) man, I hope I can say the same after a month.

protegeric said:
man, ur complainin about the 70s? I have the 95s. I kind of wish I had the 70s, but right now I have the 95s. the rear view mirror is useless... ha!

i would imagine that when you're at idle that it feels like you are being rear ended by a semi every millisecond.

Hopefully somebody can help me with this real quick....That little metal peice along with that big rubber peice....Where do they go!?! Do they go back on!? How do they go on!? I'm lost!

big rubber piece goes on the side of the mount where the HEAD of the bolt is.
the head of the bolt should be on the driver side of the mount.

when u say "little metal piece" do u mean a washer?

Last edited:
Yeah, the washer too, its probably about 1/2" long....And with the rubber thing, which way does the flat side go? Like which way do you orient it!?

I just want to get this done!

Last edited:
flat side goes against the mount,
so the head of the bolt sits in the rubber thing itself.....if i remember correctly.

Yeah, I got it anyway...Pretty straight foward, I'm just stupid and wasn't paying attention because I just wanted to finish so bad! Thanks anyway!

1000 mile follow up:

Headlights + foglights + heater = rattle your teeth out (or arouse your female passengers...if you're an optimist). My wife calls it the rolling vibrator which is great imo, but she's pregnant and that's not good in this case.

It get's worse if you are using the A/C, so I don't see it mellowing out much. It maybe got 20% better since install. Still, I haven't been cracking anymore midpipes or getting wheel hop, so that's worth the price of admission in the long run.

do u have the 95 durometer motor mounts?

tallrd said:
1000 mile follow up:

Headlights + foglights + heater = rattle your teeth out (or arouse your female passengers...if you're an optimist). My wife calls it the rolling vibrator which is great imo, but she's pregnant and that's not good in this case.

It get's worse if you are using the A/C, so I don't see it mellowing out much. It maybe got 20% better since install. Still, I haven't been cracking anymore midpipes or getting wheel hop, so that's worth the price of admission in the long run.

Back