RPM's dipping very low

gboromsp

:
06 WRX
When i'm coming to a stop and push in the clutch my rpm's with drop very low, (under 500) and then will come back up to about 1000 and finally settle off at 750 where it stays when idling. Any ideas what could be causing this? I've already taken the EGR off and cleaned it out so I have no idea. I'm sure its not my blow off valve because I tried tightening it the whole way and it didn't help. Could it be a vacuum leak? I'm really lost on this one.

i have an intake and a CustomMSP SMIC and mine has done that occasionally since day one. sometimes when cold, sometimes when hot. not sure why but it never does it more than twice in a row. car has never shut off or stalled so i'm not worried about it. might be nice to know what is causing it tho

i also have the same situation. I have a CAI, FMIC and a catless exhaust so my guess would have to do with the vacum lines. not that they have a leak but maybe the ecu is saying holy s*** why is there this much air and trys and corrects it with the RPM's once or twice and gives up. But i am not a genius so i dont know. Or could be same problem but instead of vacum line could be MAF sensor. i dunno though

i talked to my buddy, service writer for mazda, and he says that it's happening to alot of MSP's. His RX-8, according to him, does the same thing.

I adjusted my idle screw a bit so it idles at 850 now and no longer have the RPMs dropping when the alternator or A/C sap power

before this the car actually stalled a couple of times while idling at a light and would dip down periodically

for now I suggest resetting your ECU and letting it idle for a while to see if it smooths out the idle and eliminates the problem on its own

gboromsp said:
When i'm coming to a stop and push in the clutch my rpm's with drop very low, (under 500) and then will come back up to about 1000 and finally settle off at 750 where it stays when idling. Any ideas what could be causing this? I've already taken the EGR off and cleaned it out so I have no idea. I'm sure its not my blow off valve because I tried tightening it the whole way and it didn't help. Could it be a vacuum leak? I'm really lost on this one.

You need to adjust the idle on the throttle body a hair. Remember that even with the better FMIC and enlarged piping, it is still going to cause a drop in PSI. Especially when its cold the air is denser, the MAF thinks there is more air comming in than it acually is. Thats why if you dont watch it, you can boost spike. When the car is in boost, then all of a sudden lets the boost go through the BOV/BPV sometimes it will let go too much air and cause the car to kinda go rich for a min. Its nothing bad, just annoying. Typical MAF stuff.

I hope I explained myself clearly,lol

Last edited:
I have this occaisionally, always at a stop sign. I have an Injen CAI and Turbohoses hardpipes. It's done it since I put on the intake. Never stalls, though.

mine will drop when the car is just at idle.... i understand the whole boost, pressure loss thing, but this is just a drop while idling....

I had the same problem. The Stealer looked at it and said it needed a new Idle Air Control Valve and to come back in 2 days to have it replaced under warranty. Before I left they turned up the base idle via the idle screw on the throttlebody. This seemed to fix the problem, at least for the next 2 days, but I let them go ahead and replace the valve anyway. Since then I have not seen this happen at all.

Oh yeah, mine did it after putting the stock intake back on also.

Good Luck

Last edited:
s

I get the same thing ive been asking every one on this . Real annoying . Didnt do it during the summer .

toucci said:
I adjusted my idle screw a bit so it idles at 850 now and no longer have the RPMs dropping when the alternator or A/C sap power

before this the car actually stalled a couple of times while idling at a light and would dip down periodically

for now I suggest resetting your ECU and letting it idle for a while to see if it smooths out the idle and eliminates the problem on its own

So where exactly is this idle screw and how do I adjust it? Which way and how much do I turn it to raise up the idle rpms to 850?

I get the same thing. I took it into the dealer and they said that they didn't see any problem with the idle. I just know that something will happen right out of warranty...

Spooled said:
I get the same thing. I took it into the dealer and they said that they didn't see any problem with the idle. I just know that something will happen right out of warranty...

Initially, they told me the same thing. I then explained to them that the problem happens randomly, so it was not something that I could show them on demand. I also made a point that this is not the first car I've owned, and that none of my other cars did this, especially under 20,000 miles. Basically I just did not take no for an answer until they finally agreed to take a closer look. When they started screwing with that Idle Air Control Valve, they determined that it was faulty and needed replacement.

Can anyone explain to me where the idle air control valve/adjustment screw is located? I tried looking for it last night, but I don't know what I'm looking for.. hehe..

I have the same issue and it's totally screwing w/ my carputer. I might look into adjusting the idle. I was thinking about replacing the battery too. I idle at stop lights around 750 and some friends I've talked to also idle around there, so maybe it's a Protege thing?

I would like to know too.

Chewbacca said:
Can anyone explain to me where the idle air control valve/adjustment screw is located? I tried looking for it last night, but I don't know what I'm looking for.. hehe..

mine does it too, and it also does it when the engine is warm and I turn it off for a few minutes and when I turn the car on again it will rise to 1000 and then dip really low like on the verge of turning off like stumbling until you rev it a little then it goes away, could it be the plugs too??

what are your AFRs when this happens? mine does this when the ECU pull or adds a significant amount of fuel at idle. normally its better after being run warm, but sometimes...

i dunno my afg just has the led lights and jogs back and forth cause i hooked it to the o2 sensor on the minifold ( so I read on here), so I don't have a exact number..

Back