Alternative MAFs

xenosilvia

:
Kouki S14
Since our MAF's are maxed out at around 250whp, I'm looking for the best alternative to use, obviously with a EMS.

-GM 3Bar MAF
-Cobra MAF
-Z32 MAF

If anyone knows the voltage ranges that'd be great....

-mx3ownzj00

If you replace the MAF, you will need something to control it because the stocker is designed to work the the pretege ECU. I have an 80mm PRO-M MAF that I used with the MPI tuner. I had some issues when I used it, but that was a long time ago when I had other issues. MPNick uses it and it works fine, he was able to get in the 300+whp range with it. I anticipate him getting close to the 400whp soon.

I think the FCD clamps the MAF voltage so you don't have to worry about it, but I don't know much about the FCD.

I think the pro m 80mm is good for about 450hp Nick said...its huge, and i will hopefully be pushng 400whp with this set up shortly...

Lightning 90mm MAF. Very repeatable and accurate. Well known calibration and curve. HUGE HORSEPOWER POTENTIAL!!!!

btw, THE pRO-m 80 mm IS CAPABLE OF MUCH MORE THAN 450HP. NMRA Renegade Mustangs are restricted to 80mm MAF and they make over 900whp. It's all about tuning to keep the voltage below 5volts.

Last edited:
I would PM Mpnick he sells them for the protege to be used with his mpi tuner.

mx3ownzj00 said:
I'll have to look into the ProM 800, anyone know the price off hand?

Yea, I was just wondering. If I buy a shortblock it'll be from Nick so I'll discuss MAF options then.

I will NOT be touching FCD's :)

If I needed a MAF right now I would but I'm just researching my options before I build the motor and tune the stock turbo to hell and back. I don't think Focus is running a different MAF and he's making more than Kooldino. I'm still wondering why.

I know I've seen 3rd gens with 2-3different numbers on their MAFs but no one had confirmed that those numbers correspond to different parts. I guess some are lucky with more forgiving MAFs and some aren't.

mx3ownzj00 said:
If I needed a MAF right now I would but I'm just researching my options before I build the motor and tune the stock turbo to hell and back. I don't think Focus is running a different MAF and he's making more than Kooldino. I'm still wondering why.

I know I've seen 3rd gens with 2-3different numbers on their MAFs but no one had confirmed that those numbers correspond to different parts. I guess some are lucky with more forgiving MAFs and some aren't.

The tuning method!!!:D Sorry Kool, I had to!(thumb)

LOL, I guess I'll be the first to find out how well the Unichip tunes for big numbers in comparison to the MPI SMT6 and eManage. Hopefully I can get away with using the stock MAF for awhile :)

Its cool, I knew what you meant, even though I didn't type it correctly. I was researching last week ans they seem like darn good units.

Back