Flashing

Protege73

:
Titanium 2003.5
I have an appointment to get my cars chip flashed by the dealership on Thursday. Does it really make a big difference???

you will probably feel a difference.....right now are you feeling as thought the car is hesitating or studdering. If so the flash will get rid of this, also some say you will get better mpg.

Hookedup240 said:
you will probably feel a difference.....right now are you feeling as thought the car is hesitating or studdering. If so the flash will get rid of this, also some say you will get better mpg.

I do feel as ir the car is stuttering at times. Just coming home this morning, I pinned it in first, got her to the red line and then into second, it seemed to hesitate for a second and then pull like crazy. Not sure why though.

No that is probably not fuel cut. Fuel cut is much more violent than hesitation.

i'm getting mine flashed pretty soon too, please let me know how the difference feels after you get yours done.

You'll definitely notice a difference. It basically pulls timing to help compensate for the pig-rich a/f ratio.

Is there any way I would know they had done it besides the fact it should run better? Someone told me of a sticker that they put under the hood after.

Some people did not get a sticker. I only have a print out. The flash is 100% better than being unflashed. It was a quick fix and could have been better.

But that said, I do not miss the hesitation, stumbling, or whatever you want to call it. Import Racer magazine did a build up on an MSP and noted that the flash increased both the torque and horsepower. Turbo magazine said it lost horsepower. I could tell an immediate difference after being flashed.

That said, there are still people on this forum running around unflashed, by choice. I'll never understand that.

DAWIV said:
That said, there are still people on this forum running around unflashed, by choice. I'll never understand that.

the reasoning behind this is because some plan to run higher boost and if you are unflashed it is safer to do so than being flashed. Especially if you do not plan to run any type of engine management.

Your dealer can check the vin number on the computer, look up the history and be able to tell you if it's been flashed.

Well, I run up to 14 psi of boost in the summer, with race gas. I keep it under 11 psi on 93 octane. All the engine management in the world isn't going to protect our blocks without upgraded internals. I have a two stage boost controller also. I would not drive around daily at higher than stock boost levels.

Last edited:

So its not safe to increase boost past stock if youve been flashed? Im still unflashed but want to eventually increase boost to 8-9psi.

Had mine flashed didn't make much of a difference i still have the hesitation. I think it is multiple problems.

(confused) I'm not sure what to think now. Some have said that there was a huge and immediate difference, some said that there was little to no difference. Guess I'll find out on Thursday. Thanks for the info.

so whats the overall opinion, If you plan on turning up the boost, even to 8-9 psi, then you should leave it unflashed?

Welcome to this forum! Its a driveability fix. The MSP is possessed, so it will never be perfect. A 3 horsepower and 5 ft lbs of torque gain does not equal a major improvement in my book. But again, the overall driveability of my car is 100% better.

Latest posts

Back