How To: EGR Removal and Cleaning for Rough Idle Fix

hm. i wonder if i can use it once, and then return it :p

i have a breaker bar, and a really nice ratchet already...and i'm exceedingly cheap ;)

Me too. So I only have that one as a breaker bar and a ratchet! In fact, I busted it twice using it as a breaker bar.

so, in other words, dont use it as a breaker bar ;)

think us automatic guys would have this same problem? I just noticed like.. last month my car started idling a little funny randomly..

like.. I was sitting in my car listening to sounds.. started the car.. let it sit for a little bit.. then the idle started bouncing a little.. from 800-1200rpms..

should I do the EGR cleaning thing?

i dont see why you wouldnt have the same problem..the engine is the same, just a different tranny. try it out and let us know.

Yea the EGR piping goes into the header, which takes exhaust gases coming out of the engine. Nothing a tranny difference will change. Worth a shot!

I'm glad I saw this thread.

I notice the idling problem on my car sporadically. I will be sitting at a light and the tach will randomly drop to 0 for a second and then come back up. While this happens, the car has noticeable vibration and then it's fine after that for a while (although I probably only notice it when I am in the car by myself without the radio on.) However I do have 45,000 miles on it and I bought it two years ago.

I'll try and do it this weekend at my friends shop and I'll post the results. I feel sorry for the uneducated protege owner who will have the dealer "fix" the problem for big bucks.

Hey folks!

I believe my car may have this same problem, but it only does it when it is hot and humid outside, and even then it only does it when the engine is cold-ish. Should I have my mechanic clean out the valve? The O2 sensor was replaced about 4-5 weeks ago, if that has anything to do with it.

The car has almost 80,000km on it. Not sure what that translates into miles, but I would assume around 50,000miles.

don't pay a mechanic to look at it, do the how-to and do it yourself. It is easy (aside fromt he 2 bastard bolts holding it to the manifold.

jsut to share something about idleing problem. I have this problem also. I did the egr valve cleaning. it did not help. I guess because it was not clogged. Next i took out the idle solenoid valve, guess what???? the plunger was stuck and couldn't open the air passage when energized. I cleanned the carbon build up (i guess from EGR) with carb cleaner and brass brush. Idling is better now.

(cool)
tinfoil said:
Hey folks!

I believe my car may have this same problem, but it only does it when it is hot and humid outside, and even then it only does it when the engine is cold-ish. Should I have my mechanic clean out the valve? The O2 sensor was replaced about 4-5 weeks ago, if that has anything to do with it.

The car has almost 80,000km on it. Not sure what that translates into miles, but I would assume around 50,000miles.

RaiderMP5 said:
don't pay a mechanic to look at it, do the how-to and do it yourself. It is easy (aside fromt he 2 bastard bolts holding it to the manifold.

Oh, I was thinking about it and I do have the necessary tools, but I must admit to being a little... unsure of myself. Sure, I'll replace an alternator or just about anything else on my old 67 Wildcat, but the engine bay on that car is large enough to house a small family and doesn't have all the hoses, wires and computer gibblets.

*sigh*

Time to man up, I suppose ;>

kasmankk said:
jsut to share something about idleing problem. I have this problem also. I did the egr valve cleaning. it did not help. I guess because it was not clogged. Next i took out the idle solenoid valve, guess what???? the plunger was stuck and couldn't open the air passage when energized. I cleanned the carbon build up (i guess from EGR) with carb cleaner and brass brush. Idling is better now.

I did forget to mention that my CEL came on and the code is for the EGR valve. Oh, and where is this idle solenoid?

Last edited:
here is a pic from the service manual

I'll take some photos tomorrow morning, if still needed. You going to need a special torx wrench to take the valve out. Clean the plunger and the housing.

check out the pics. In my case, when i removed the solenoid valve, the plunger got stock to the throttle body. There was carbon build up.

RaiderMP5 said:
idle solenoid? Want to show us pics>? It might help us all.

Attachments

• the valve.jpg
    the valve.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 4,016
  • valve removed.jpg
    valve removed.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 3,894
  • dirty sticky plunger.jpg
    dirty sticky plunger.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 3,674
  • cleaned plunger.jpg
    cleaned plunger.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 3,406
Last edited:
Well Well!

I cleaned my EGR and idle solenoid (since I was already in there, why not). Sure enough, the plunger bit was indeed hanging up and causing my problems. Luckily, a mechanic buddy of mine was available to watch over me, which was good because there were some problems. Of course, it came out easily, but pulling it apart turned out to be a chore. Pulling the valve apart, even after letting some penetrating fluid work on it for an hour, resulted in one stripped screw and one sheared screw. Ah well, luckily my mechanic friend has a full shop so we drilled and tapped all the holes and put in new screws.

But, it's all done and it works MUCH better now. Thanks for the How-To!

You are the man!! My car has 50,150 miles on it and it wouldnt idle. The delear wouldnt value my expired warranty by 150 miles! I cleaned the sticky , carbonated valve and voila, it idles smother that ever.

I am beginning to hate Mazda service! They have yet to satisfy any of my requests.

Latest posts

Back