How To: EGR Removal and Cleaning for Rough Idle Fix

Then try cleaning it out. You might even want to swap out the plugs for new NGK ones if you have not replaced them in a while. New plugs are cheap.

I gotta do mine and fast . Its getting worst . spazzed on idle 3-4 times today .

Maxx Mazda said:
Mine spazzes worse after I cleaned it LOL!
You sure you got a good seal on the two halves? And between the EGR and the manifold? You still have the little metal gasket inbetween the EGR and manifold?

Ya, i did it all right, trust me. My ****** idle wasn't due to the EGR is all...

well, i can believe if it didn't fix the idle, it didn't fix mine either. I just found it odd that you said it got worse.

Lord_Zath said:
What was it due to then?

Some kind of purge canister solenoid continuium transfunctioner bulls***.... Still does it to this day ever since i bought the car.

I just installed Mobil1 10w30 synthetic and Amsoil tranny fluid. My rough idle problem has completely gone. Although the EGR cleaning helped, it still was rather rough. Now purrs at idle. I would try that if you have not yet.

RaiderMP5 said:
I just installed Mobil1 10w30 synthetic and Amsoil tranny fluid. My rough idle problem has completely gone. Although the EGR cleaning helped, it still was rather rough. Now purrs at idle. I would try that if you have not yet.

I'm using Mobil1 (since I bought the car) and still have the issues.

Have you taken it in to the dealer to be hooked up to a computer? I am sorry you are having such a ****** up idle. I had it for a few months, drove me crazy.

RaiderMP5 said:
Have you taken it in to the dealer to be hooked up to a computer? I am sorry you are having such a ****** up idle. I had it for a few months, drove me crazy.

It really doesn't bother me that much. I bag the absolute piss out of my car, so I don't expect it to run 100% anyways. Besides, it's only for the 2-3 mins after I fill up with gas then it goes away.

I wonder if it is a fuel filter issue. I know, I know, it is a 100K filter. But what if it is pretty clogged? The fun thing is, you gotta get to the tank to get the pump out to get to it.

I have a pretty heavy foot, too. I love the fact that unlike my GMC, when I am heavy on the foot, nothing ******* breaks the **** off (like the driveshaft, seat brackets, alternator, rear end, and others in the first 50K). It has been my best car ever, and I have loved it since day 1.

If you are cool with the idle, then cool. I just wonder how the fresh gas could change things.

anyone else having a b**** of a time getting those bolts on the bottom out?? i cant get em. my sockets are too deep, and it hits the stuff under it, not allowing me to get on them. my wrenches hit stuff on the sides...its pissing me off (pissed)

mp3wannabe said:
anyone else having a b**** of a time getting those bolts on the bottom out?? i cant get em. my sockets are too deep, and it hits the stuff under it, not allowing me to get on them. my wrenches hit stuff on the sides...its pissing me off (pissed)

I totally had the same problem! I used the ratchet from Sears that was not as thick as a regular ratchet, plus it had a swivel head, helped give me the .000005 of an inch needed to get torque on the nuts. I had to basically pop them loose with a ratchet, and use my fingers to remove them. If you have a magnetic parts tray, I suggest putting it under the EGR when removing them, as it is a pain to reach them if they fall down back there.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00944815000

Back