...Remove Center Console "Peel-Back" Method...

Silver Bull3t

:
3s 5d MT Sunlight Silver Opt:CGN,WLK,LS1,1AB,1MC
I'm installing some LEDs in my cupholder.... found a great way to get the center console removed... don't even need a screwdriver!

Start with the center storage area open.....(see pics):

(birthday)

Attachments

• DCP_1800.JPG
    DCP_1800.JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 7,881
  • DCP_1801.JPG
    DCP_1801.JPG
    267.1 KB · Views: 10,840
  • DCP_1802.JPG
    DCP_1802.JPG
    311.9 KB · Views: 7,777
  • DCP_1803.JPG
    DCP_1803.JPG
    328.2 KB · Views: 6,341
  • DCP_1805.JPG
    DCP_1805.JPG
    348.8 KB · Views: 11,734
It is even easier in an Automatic as well, folks.

At least every time I've done this, the part around the shifter always disconnected and stayed in the console area, while I could remove the cupholder piece in about 2 seconds.

Good pics though. Make sure to post your cupholder lights!!! :D

p.s. copycat

;)

Badger Biker said:
It is even easier in an Automatic as well, folks.

At least every time I've done this, the part around the shifter always disconnected and stayed in the console area, while I could remove the cupholder piece in about 2 seconds.

Good pics though. Make sure to post your cupholder lights!!! :D

p.s. copycat

;)

Yeah, I'm really happy that it was so easy. I've been really touchy about taking the car interior apart (under auspices of wife unit) and I always seem to have a left over screw or friction-clip.. (laugh)

The LEDs are surprisingly bright....I may put a resistor inline to dim them a bit....

(crazy)

a bit bright in the dark with bottles........

Attachments

• DCP_1823.JPG
    DCP_1823.JPG
    290.6 KB · Views: 3,162
  • DCP_1826.JPG
    DCP_1826.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 2,544
  • DCP_1824.JPG
    DCP_1824.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 2,455
Last edited:
Silver Bull3t said:
Yeah, I'm really happy that it was so easy. I've been really touchy about taking the car interior apart (under auspices of wife unit) and I always seem to have a left over screw or friction-clip.. (laugh)

The LEDs are surprisingly bright....I may put a resistor inline to dim them a bit....

(crazy)

Looks good. I think what I may do is install the LED under the lip that is on the left hand side of the cupholder in the middle. It will be mostly hidden but illuminate the holders a little bit when in use.

That blue looks fantastic!!!

If I can find some 12V Blue LEDS, I might have to switch em in to see how things look.

And to think I banged the hell out of my hand when my house keys fell down besides the parking brake skirt thingy....

Now I know ho to clean out the cupholder residue and vacuum out the human dander once every two years or so ^_^

thanks for the pics

Damn, that looks sweet. I might have to find a way to do that with mine. And then make sure to have water bottles in the holders at all times :D

Gonna try wiring them in series to cut the brightness down. Both came with an inline resistor, so that may help out....

yeah what wire did you tap for power? is it switched or always on? also did you side mount or are they under the bottle? what did you use to cover the hole just some clear lexan or something? nice lil mod and that blue is tight!!

Is this still possible with Navigation? My friend wants me to install his short throw but he has navigation

Not to butt in here, but I thought I'd interject a little info on how to hook up LEDs...

LEDs have two important values: "If" and "Vf". "If" is the maximum safe current an LED will handle. "Vf" is the voltage the LED "drops" or is required to run. An inline resistor is necessary to limit the current to an LED to keep it from blowing. By playing with the resistor value, you can achieve maximum rated brightness or lower.

To figure out the value of the resistor needed, just use the formula (basically just Ohm's law):

(14.4 - Vf) / If

I used 14.4v as this is typically the highest voltage supply the car will deliver.

For the RadioShack LED part# 276-316 (2600mcd blue LED), the "Vf" and "If" specs are 3.7v and 20mA (.020 amps), respectively. So, apply the formula:

(14.4 - 3.7) / .020 = 535 ohms. Since this is not a standard size resistor, use the next highest value (560 ohms).

If you want to use two (or more) in series, use the same formula, except subtract all "Vf" values from the supply voltage. You can use as many LEDs in series as you want until the sum of their "Vf" values exceeds the supply voltage. At this point, they will never light up. For the RadioShack LEDs above, I'd go with no more than 3 in series:

(14.4 - 3.7 - 3.7 - 3.7) / .020 = 165 ohms. A couple of 330 ohm resistors in parallel will make this value.

If you want dimmer LED(s), reduce the "If" value in the formulas above by about 5-10%. So, for a 20mA LED, try using 16-18mA for the "If" value.

Once you figure out the resistor value, you should calculate the resistor's power value just to be safe. 1/2 watt should be more than fine in almost all cases though. Whatever you calculate for power should be doubled for safety.

(14.4 - Vf ) x If = Power

So, for the two-LED example above, the power would be:

(14.4 - 3.7 - 3.7) x .020 = .14 watts

Double that for .28 watts (or a little above 1/4 watt). So either 1/4 watt or 1/2 watt would be perfect.

Sorry for the long-windedness. Just trying to be helpful...

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention - the longer lead on an LED is the positive lead. If you hook it backward, it won't break, it just won't light up.

Last edited:
Wow! that was easy! :)

I just removed the center console.... a lot easier than i thought.
Thanks for the great post, that made my day :)

BrianG said:
...Sorry for the long-windedness. Just trying to be helpful...

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention - the longer lead on an LED is the positive lead. If you hook it backward, it won't break, it just won't light up.

Good and Helpful information Brian. Thanks-a-bunch!

Silver Bull3t,
First of all, nice MOD. It really looks great with the glowing water bottles, but why did you decide to install them bottom dead center?
I just finished pulling out my own console, as per your instructions (Thanx,) and there is plenty of room on the the right side and enough room on the left to do the same w/o compromising the bottom. Taking a page from my wife's Saturn, I might have installed them high on the sides, left if possible, and held them back so they shine through a hole instead of sticking into it.
It seems to me that a piece of lens repair tape stuck to the back (red, if you like, and it could be made bigger than the size of the bulb) would cover the hole, protecting it but still allow the light to shine through.
If I am correct, red tape and a blue LED should produce an orange color, similar to the console lighting. Anyone know for sure?

I'm installing some LEDs in my cupholder.... found a great way to get the center console removed... don't even need a screwdriver!

Thanks dude, this came in really useful when I was installing my Kuda phone base yesterday. Just bought an 2008.5 MS3 and am just starting to mod it a little. :)

Back