Why I love my P5, a reflection

I think there were a lot of issues wthe msp at first i.e. klunk and hesitation. The p5 has had its own problems, but I think in general they haven't affected people as much as the msp.

But let's keep this a love the p5 thread; not a p5>msp thread :)

Lord_Zath said:
The p5 has had its own problems, but I think in general they haven't affected people as much as the msp.

Which is amazing considering it was produced for twice as many years and wasn't at all a limited production car (don't know the number of P5s on the road at the moment). Any issue at all that I've had with my Protege5 was caused by me not having the right tools to do the mods I wanted to do. Even with that though, I've never once been left stranded by my Protege.

As much as I love her though, I do wish I could go back and do it again and get one with side airbags and ABS. Maybe I'll buy another protege5 with the airbags/abs package and then transfer all my mods over to it :D

zverg said:
Which is amazing considering it was produced for twice as many years and wasn't at all a limited production car (don't know the number of P5s on the road at the moment). Any issue at all that I've had with my Protege5 was caused by me not having the right tools to do the mods I wanted to do. Even with that though, I've never once been left stranded by my Protege.

As much as I love her though, I do wish I could go back and do it again and get one with side airbags and ABS. Maybe I'll buy another protege5 with the airbags/abs package and then transfer all my mods over to it :D

If I could do it all again, I'd look for a manual. If I knew there was such a disparity in power between the two, who knows how my car would perform now if it was a manual. I guess that just means when it's time for me to look for a new car, I'll just have to go turbo...

<<<<<<<<<<<< note: user name.........

I have my fresh washed car as wallpaper on my computer so I can stare & dream away when not outside in garage doing it. Yes, the new 2006 S40 lives outdoors, the garage is P5land!

i was away last month for a week and on the drive home ( 17hr drive in my explorer)) i was thinking abou how i couldn't wait to get home and take the car for a spin! it made the ride go by much faster than it really did! with all the crap i've modified on this car, it has responded real well...the only real issue i ever had was the egr valve problem and that was replaced under warranty...i'd by another one tomorrow (this time a manual!!) and i'd boost it again too!(thumb)

hi,
I have a 2003 P5 as well with 215/35/18 & would like to know what kind of shock & springs should I get to lower my vehicle?....should I go with coilovers or just shock & springs!....what do you think?

SkinnyJoint said:
i love my p5 cuz its so damn roomy i feel like i could just live in it trunk nice back seats nice :)
o yea plus its so sexy lookin

shocks and springs is enough I say. I don't really know what the benefit of coilovers would be aside from the adjustability.

I like a lot the P5 but I wouldn't have got one simply b/c over here in Montreal you se one, or two at every street cornet (litterally!). P5 and M3 are just everywhere. That's why I got the MSP, it's a very limited edition (that's why I'll never get the new MS3, it looks just like an M3). But I wished they had made the MSP with the P5 instead of the sedan, it would have been more practical.
But I'm extremely happy with my choice. It's true that many MSP owners expected a 300HP car (duh)!! It pisses me off to see so many pple. on forums bitching about it and always praising Subaru and AWD as if it was Nirvana on wheels! Mazda is about handling and balance and the Proteg, P5, MP3 and MSP are second to none in that department!! :)

FlyinMSP said:
It pisses me off to see so many pple. on forums bitching about it and always praising Subaru and AWD as if it was Nirvana on wheels! Mazda is about handling and balance and the Proteg, P5, MP3 and MSP are second to none in that department!! :)

Amen to that!

I'm satisfied with my ~100whp (haven't dynoed with my mods so I assume they've added a total of 0whp) because it's such a blast to drive. People who bought the MSP because it was slightly cheaper than the WRX they really wanted (most of the MSP people on here it seems) bought the wrong car.

I know what you mean about the abundance of P5s in Canada. I LOVE visiting Toronto because I see so many Proteges and well Mazdas in general. It's totally different in the states. At my school there are a lot of Protege5s for some reason (at least a dozen) but when I'm not at school I'm lucky if I see 2 Protege5s within a week of each other. I've actually never seen an MSP outside of car meets and caravans to meets.

SunnyP5 said:
Your car can have that title.. I love your wheels! what are they? (thumb)

mazdaspeed protege looks like it.... by the way.... honestly... i drive this car untill it squinks at me when i turn it off PSHHHHHHHhhhh lol i love that intake sounds...

but then again theres nothing like going 27 MPH and flooring it.... it kicks in 1st gear and your gone... lol people watch me drive by them.(waving at them lol). also on my way to my g/fs theres a turn i take at 40- 45MPH all the time which i can screeechhhhhhh!!!! them tires!!! its awsome...i will post some videos i have soon.(omg)

i've gotten "it's cute" like a hundred times. and "is that a station wagon" about 12. it looks much faster then it is...but that ok with me...keeps my insurance down and it handles like a charm.

...i think im gunna cry

The car was alot more fun than i expected. the handling was amazing even b4 i put a 1.4 inch drop and new springs and shocks.
good head room too, comfortable car for a person who is 6'3.
good looking body , looks newer than it is

Love the P5 even more since my simple mods. Power would be nice, but the style is fantastic. I see maybe 1 or 3 P5s in my area and they are driven by much older people.

altspace said:
Love the P5 even more since my simple mods. Power would be nice, but the style is fantastic. I see maybe 1 or 3 P5s in my area and they are driven by much older people.

damn oldies RUN EM OF THE ROAD!(ughdance)

santisurf said:
damn oldies RUN EM OF THE ROAD!(ughdance)

I always wave and give thumbs up to old people driving Protege5s. I think it's awesome that they bought a fun little car instead of a boring buick.

Plus think of it this way.. the more old people there are driving Protege5s, the less chances they have to get riced out. If I see one of those oldies with one of those fake ragtops installed on a protege5 I'll pop a cap though haha.

yeah i see that a lot too, the old people. its funny because i'll speed up to see the person driving and it turns out to be this old dude. then i say to myself "the explains why they are going to slow":wtf:

samm5149 said:
yeah i see that a lot too, the old people. its funny because i'll speed up to see the person driving and it turns out to be this old dude. then i say to myself "the explains why they are going to slow":wtf:
(poke) "why are you going to slow old lady?" "i don't want to scracth my paint" well that explains alot!:bs:

I always wonder what people are thinking when I drive past someone in a stock P5. Most of the time I wave at other P5 owners as well. Our own little bike club.

Back