PICs of my Nardi Ambition shift knob & B&M short shifter.

Allen

世界杯
Contributor
:
2019 Acura RDX A-Spec AWD
May switch to a different shift knob in the future. One with leather so that I can rest my hands on the shifter without having to feel ALL the vibration from the car :D.

View my current shift knob gallery:
http://www.mazdamp3.com/vbb225/galleryuser.php?s=&userid=715&gallery=Shift knobs/
nardi_shiftknob.jpg

wow! thats nice man! :) thats a really classy picture too... dont know why.. just looks "advertisement worthy" like you would see that picture w/ the company name and a disclaimer on the bottom....

Darn, I didn't take that picture above... my friend took it with his digital camera. I'm sure he'll appreciate the compliment. :D

http://www.sportscar-parts.com/shift_knobs.html

This was really the only site I could find that sold this Nardi aluminum shift knob (very friendly and attentive customer service). If anyone else can find other competing sites, please let us know. Thanks!

Not to offend, but I use to rest my hand on the shifter of my old mazda 626 coupe. One day, I was trying to get my mechanic to experience/hear a noise in the rear suspension during a test drive (..I was driving).

He saw me resting my hand on the shifter and asked why was I doing that? I said "doing what", he point at my hand resting on the shifter and told me that would wear out the transmission pieces, including clutch plates, pretty fast.

He summed it up in one sentance something like this...the extra weight on the shifter is causing resistance, the movement of the car and vibrations you feel through the shifter is the transmission fully engaging the drive line - all the pieces work toegether to become one tightly fit piece. If you add extra weight to that, your going to wear it quicker than if you did not resting your hand on the shifter.

I don't know if that's BS :bs: or not, but it seems to make sense. So I broke the habbit.

now that you mention it.. it does kinda make sense... not sure if its valid or not.. but it seems kinda logical... and yah.. im in that habbit too... i cant help it... i almost cant steer correctly unless left hand is on the 11-12 o'clock position, and my right hand is on the shifter... if i try to use both hands at 10 and 2 or 9 and 3 its kinda ok... but if i try to drive w/ my right hand i cant do it... and its funny, because when i used to drive the 99 Maxima SE it was an auto.... and i used to hang my left hand out the window w/ a cigarette all the time.. and drove w/ my right.. now it just feels weird unless both hands are where they should be.. left on wheel, right on shifter... and i do drive better w/ one hand than w/ two, for most driving experiences... now... granted... if i was road racing, or any kind of racing for that matter... two hands is better than one.. but for just daily stuff i preffer just the left hand

I think I'll take that advice and avoid resting my hand on the shifter from now on. Keep the tranny running longer and less chance to injure my hand.

You remember how people get "tunnel syndrome" from using the computer mouse for long periods of time without proper rest pads? That reminds me of the problem I get with this shifter.

Well, after a long drive with my hand on this new aluminum shift knob and short shifter (along with the Kartboy bushing), the hand numbs up a bit ... very annoying.

THATS NOT GOOD! seriously man... i mean... "the hand numbs up a bit"... that should be a signal right there that somethin aint right.... lol.. damn allen!

yea Iv heard of that as bieng very bad... and I never do it. I'v also heard that resting you hand on the shifter is one of the main causes for bent or broken shift forks its just kind of become a habet to flick to the next gear and rest my hand somwere else (usually my balls HEHE)

Protege01MP3
man i like that tv screen you got in your car.. how much would one of those cost me?
but im not qutie sure why you did interior paint but whatever floats your boat.

the screen retails at $1100 US right now... its an Alpine CVA-1003 in dash/motorized/inputs:nav, aux, xm/am,fm/screen position/clarity controls/sub and speaker controls/ and a bunch of other features.

and whats wrong with a blue/white interior? looks better than the stock crap IMO (ok.. that was harsh.. the mp3 interior isnt crap by any means... it was actually pimp... but my blue/white looks WAY better :p PPLLLLBBBB!!!)

yeah thats exactly what i said "pimp"
haha
i wouldnt dare do anything like that to a 2001 car.
i guess my idea of a clean car id different. oh well
party on

MP3inOttawa said:
Not to offend, but I use to rest my hand on the shifter of my old mazda 626 coupe. One day, I was trying to get my mechanic to experience/hear a noise in the rear suspension during a test drive (..I was driving).

He saw me resting my hand on the shifter and asked why was I doing that? I said "doing what", he point at my hand resting on the shifter and told me that would wear out the transmission pieces, including clutch plates, pretty fast.

He summed it up in one sentance something like this...the extra weight on the shifter is causing resistance, the movement of the car and vibrations you feel through the shifter is the transmission fully engaging the drive line - all the pieces work toegether to become one tightly fit piece. If you add extra weight to that, your going to wear it quicker than if you did not resting your hand on the shifter.

I don't know if that's BS :bs: or not, but it seems to make sense. So I broke the habbit.

Right! Here is why:

http://www.protegeclub.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20776&highlight=Chicken+Scratch

MP3inOttawa said:

One of my friends used to have an older Nissan Sentra and used to rest his hand on the shifter. Eventually the shift fork bent and the car would pop out of 5th gear by itself.

Allen said:
...so that I can rest my hands on the shifter...

That's a bad habit you should break yourself of, especially if you want to autocross your car. You should treat the shifter like it's "red hot" and only touch it when necessary. Just a pointer from an old racing instruction video I once saw.

It's a difficult habit to break -- trust me I know!!!

Just stare at this smiley...it will sink in....(drive)

Don't mean to make this a rant...just a tip to make accident avoidance and quick manuevering easier.

Yeah, I broke that bad habit a while back. Both my hands are always on the steering wheel unless I need to shift. :)

BTW... I have since replaced the Nardi shift knob with a P5 leather shift knob that screws directly onto the B&M SS. MUCH better under the sun and in the cold!!! :D

ADAPTER SHIFT KNOBS SUCK!!!!!!!! :p

Back