removing side mouldings....

Silver Bull3t

:
3s 5d MT Sunlight Silver Opt:CGN,WLK,LS1,1AB,1MC
what's the best way to go about this......

Is a hairdryer or heat-gun needed? Is there any residue leftover and how should I remove it?

I've just about worked up the courage to rip 'em off...

(naughty)

If anything, dont just rip it off, heat it up, try taking it off, if that dont work, get a metal wire, and slice behind it, there should be some residue left wich you can than rub off slowly with some heat and I dont know what product might do the job.

Do NOT do it when the vehicle is cold. The warmer it is outside the better.

I did it when it was 40 outside ... never again. I did the other side after I took it to a heated garage.

i just used water and slowly pulled them out, then with my finger removed any remaining tape, came out nice

Thanks

Thanks fellas, .....Did't think about slicing behind it like that, good ideas

Thanks. (hippy)

fishing wire is great, and if you don't have that, dental floss works just as good, except for when it breaks. then just use some goo gone and it's clean as can be.

i started the beginning edge with fishing line (which you should NEVER do without gloves...I cut the crap out of my finger...)

then it pulled right off. It only left a tiny bit of glue where I used the fishing line...everything else was nice and clean.

bug&tar remover works well to remove the glue....i just used my fingers. it was just as easy.

I think having them removed adds so much to the look of the car

oh

will these same methods work on all the emblems? or is it just the side molding, i would like to get rid of everything

curacer1 said:
will these same methods work on all the emblems? or is it just the side molding, i would like to get rid of everything

I took off the mazda 3 emblem from the back, and I used the fishing line method...be aware: there are three holes that hold the "mazda" part of the emblem on...none for the "3"

As for the 2.3 on the sides, I kept them on...but I may take them off, because right now they are "floating" on my doors. can't decide what to do yet (dunno)

btw.. how warm was it when you all did these removals?? It's like 40-45 in my basement garage, so it's probably doable.. it's supposed to get up to like 30 outside, this week, so probably like 50 in the basement...

I have fishing wire, I may as well do this while i'm banned from work for the week. lol

Lil Freek said:
btw.. how warm was it when you all did these removals?? It's like 40-45 in my basement garage, so it's probably doable.. it's supposed to get up to like 30 outside, this week, so probably like 50 in the basement...

I have fishing wire, I may as well do this while i'm banned from work for the week. lol

DO NOT TRY IN <50 DEGREE WEATHER!!!

The stuff is just too damn hard to get off. It is best to do it on a warm day, with the sun sitting ont he side of the car. Break out a heat gun if you can too. The tape comes off very easily when it's warm .. when it is cold it is a total b**** and it doesn't come off clean at all.

I learned this from experience. :(

damn.. we won't have 50+ until May/June.. :(
ah well. the car'll just have to wait until then, I suppose

that's cool.. first hot day of the year, i'll take the car to work and park it outside all day, then wire it off in the afternoon :)
thanks for the advice... probably saved me a WORLD of headaches.

Putting goo-gone on my car was a very painful experience. :(

If you used a hairdryer and worked VERY slow that could work as well. I did my one side in the fall on a 40 day ... ugh.

Did the other side in a heated garage with a hair dryer. The difference was night/day.

Back