2002 vs 2002.5 vs 2003

MiaTurbo

Contributor
:
FSM 1.5.b "Kluge";FSM-SV "Ramalamadingdong"; Civic High-Bread
Can some one please help out a P5 noob? What is the difference in the models years? I'm in the market for a primary car so the Miada can retire to track duty, and the P5 is on my list.

And yes, I will be looking for an automatic as it will be a daily driver, and I hate manual trans in DC traffic...

For 2002.5 the colour white was released. 2003 models have a different cupholder, side markers and the interior colour was also changed slight. Most notable is the gagecluster colour.

Canadian models are slightly different, but the big diff is that the P5 never came factory with roof racks. Canadian roof racks are much different than our US cousins. (canada)

Don't forget about 2003.5s! We don't have roof racks but we get two tweeters and a sub in the spare tire well stock:D

well mines an 2.5 and it has a roof rack seems like most of the list have the roofracks for 03 but maybe im tired and reading wrong

SkinnyJoint said:
well mines an 2.5 and it has a roof rack seems like most of the list have the roofracks for 03 but maybe im tired and reading wrong
You're right. American 03 P5's don't have them. Canadian P5's never did.

RobMP5 said:
Don't forget about 2003.5s! We don't have roof racks but we get two tweeters and a sub in the spare tire well stock:D
I have a 2003.5 with roof rack. Maximumimpact can vouch if he remembers.

Mazda P5 driver said:
I have a 2003.5 with roof rack. Maximumimpact can vouch if he remembers.
IIRC the later 03s had available roof racks as a stand alone option, but stock they did not have them....02 had them standard without purchasing them separately, but I could be wrong. All of these .5 model refreshes are confusing. I don't know if anyones said this yet but the 2002 P5s don't have the side marker repeaters that was 2002.5 and ^

Lord_Zath said:
I'd go for the 2003.5. The stock sub is nice and the sport shifter is kinda cool.

LZ
Z

sport shifter? eh?
Oh wait, you mean on the automatics... I got it now.

My 03.5 does have the roof rack, and I thought I remember someone saying something at some point about the 03.5's having an another optional finish on the wheels? Or was that between the 02 and the 03s?

To sum it up, the only notable differences is the wheels between 2002 and 2002.5, the 2003 added a leather option (worth it IMO), and the subwoofer replaced the roof rack in the 2003.5. If you're picky about colors, 2002.5 and up offered white and 2003 and up offered the MP3 laser blue.

Pesty said:
sport shifter? eh?
Oh wait, you mean on the automatics... I got it now.

My 03.5 does have the roof rack, and I thought I remember someone saying something at some point about the 03.5's having an another optional finish on the wheels? Or was that between the 02 and the 03s?
There is a chrome wheel and a standard wheel. The design of the wheel is also different compared to the 02's. The spokes are more square, whereas the 02's are more round spokes.

LZ
Z

i have a 03.5 and i have no roof rack...sexier that way IMO and i have a sub in the trunk that bumps pretty nicely or our car...and yeah idk what other differences but the roof racks were an option for 03.5 because when we picked it up it didnt have one and the demostration car did and we asked about it and the dealer said it was a mid model change AND i think it looks better without

I aggree. And Mike, yes, all years could get polished or painted wheels. That's why I described the differences in the wheels as well.

Which do you guys like better? I think the 2003 wheels are cool, but someitmes I wish I had the 02's because it looks more sporty (and reminds me of my 2000 Trans Am wheels)

LZ
Z

I'm not sure whether I have an 03 or 03.5 quite honestly. The window sticker where we bought the car says 2003 Protege5, so I've always assumed it was a regular 03. If it was an 03.5, would it say on the sticker?
I've got the sport/AT transmission and no roof rack, which I always thought were signs of the 03.5, but i guess not.

Lord_Zath said:
There is a chrome wheel and a standard wheel. The design of the wheel is also different compared to the 02's. The spokes are more square, whereas the 02's are more round spokes.

LZ
Z
Not chrome...polished for 500$..I know cause I have it. BTW, the sub was a free option. Yes, the roof rack was a paid option. The spoke part is correct as well.

Back