Check engine light when brakes lock up.

apexlater

:
2000 MR2 Spyder
I had to get on the brakes to avoid killing a cat this weekend, and my wife almost gave me a heart attack when she screamed. Now I'm getting better at threshold braking, but it was wet so they locked up for a quick second and I noticed the light come on, then click off. It happened so fast I almost didn't notice it.

I imagine it's the engine stalling out and then the engine "roll starting". But if I'm wrong it is very strange. Anyone else experience this? And please don't go out and just lock up your brakes for me and flat-spot your wheels, unless it's wet out. :)

the cat made it.

only thing i can think of is the oil sensor if there is even one... basicly all the oil flew forward. see if your low?

my dad had this the other day in his MSP. The CEL went out right away, but the ABS light stayed on for a day.

Ahh, yeah; This happened to me once, but it was due to wierd reaction times. It was right before the car popped into neutral. I was in second, braking hard, and the revs dipped WAAAAAAY low before I thought to clutch in and go to neutral. It was just about to stall, is all. It went out as soon as the revs bounced back up, though, so it was all good. =) Mine's a P5, though.

SenorCorwin -- the oil light is in the upper right of the dash and is red. The CEL came on in the lower left and is yellow. And my oil is spot on. And the MP3 didn't come with ABS or cruise. Probably to keep the cost/weight down.

ok, I'm not sweatin' it. :)

Last edited:
I have been having a similar problem with my MP3. Under moderate to heavy braking, the eBrake light lights up til I get off the pedal for a few seconds. Does that mean the pads are sticking or what? It just started doing this a few days ago, could it be because its cold out?

Apexlater - are you sure it was the CEL not the eBrake light? I don't mean to question your knowledge, just checking.

I don't think it was the ebrake light because that is in the right side of the cluster and red. this was definitely yellow and to the left. Your brake light coming on was probably the fact that the brake fluid in the master cylinder sloshed forward and made the sensor think that the fluid was low, then went out when the fluid settled. You may want to check your brake fluid level to see if it is low. As your pads wear, your fluid level will get lower in the reservoir.

Gizmo360 said:
I have been having a similar problem with my MP3. Under moderate to heavy braking, the eBrake light lights up til I get off the pedal for a few seconds. Does that mean the pads are sticking or what? It just started doing this a few days ago, could it be because its cold out?

Apexlater - are you sure it was the CEL not the eBrake light? I don't mean to question your knowledge, just checking.
if the brake light is coming on under heavy braking, it means you are low on brake fluid.

if its in gear and you lock up the front, you stop the motor along with the wheels, then when you let off it will kick start the motor, i have had that hapen 2 times at the auto x, ****** me up in a 180 turn, i was pissed.

Frank

Check engine light, almost stalled out.

Brake light, time for new pads most likely. Mine just started kicking on and I need new pads.

And the MP3 did not come with ABS. I'm not sure why, other than its a performance vehicle, and threshold braking will out stop ABS everyday of the week.

ABS is for the general public who don't know how to really drive there cars. I don't like the idea of the car taking about my ability to control it. I'm glad the MP3 doesn't have ABS.

Back