FINALLY found the MSP I've been looking for!

Black Majik MSP

Contributor
:
2003.5 Titanium Gray MSP #1699
A friend of mine drives a really nice RSX-S. His older brother, one of my best friends, had planned on selling his Civic & getting an RSX-S as well. I did my best to explain why the MSP was a better choice, but his mind was made up. Unfortunately, he didn't realize that the MSP was indeed a great car & a better value until after production ended. So...for the past several months, I've been looking all over for a nice MSP with very little luck...until now!

My friend Joe (who will hopefully be registering here soon) was fortunate enough to find a local LBM MSP with only 5k something miles. The car is in good shape with the exception of a few things that will be corrected by warranty or that don't matter that much. So far, he loves the car & is determined to make his car faster than his brother's RSX (which won't be easy since HE is running high 13s).

I am leading a personal crusade to eliminate all traces of amber from the exterior of my car & I will soon be triumphant. After seeing my car, Joe has joined the effort. :D Both of us have also successfully installed GReddy FATTs & have them working with the stock alarm (which I had been without for the past 9 months). (2thumbs) I am also going to be trading him my custom exhaust for his stock exhaust so that I can do my GHL S pipe/ATP cutout setup. More mods & pics to come soon! (flash)

Attachments

• Joe 01.jpg
    Joe 01.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 254
  • Joe 02.jpg
    Joe 02.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 238
  • Joe 03.jpg
    Joe 03.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 217
  • Joe 04.jpg
    Joe 04.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
I forgot to mention...the story behind his purchase of this car is very amusing. It amazes me how stubborn & ignorant some people can be.

Attachments

• Joe 05.jpg
    Joe 05.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 171
  • Joe 06.jpg
    Joe 06.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 196
  • Joe 07.jpg
    Joe 07.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 177
  • Joe 08.jpg
    Joe 08.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 167
Black Majik MSP said:
A friend of mine drives a really nice RSX-S. His older brother, one of my best friends, had planned on selling his Civic & getting an RSX-S as well. I did my best to explain why the MSP was a better choice, but his mind was made up. Unfortunately, he didn't realize that the MSP was indeed a great car & a better value until after production ended. So...for the past several months, I've been looking all over for a nice MSP with very little luck...until now!

My friend Joe (who will hopefully be registering here soon) was fortunate enough to find a local LBM MSP with only 5k something miles. The car is in good shape with the exception of a few things that will be corrected by warranty or that don't matter that much. So far, he loves the car & is determined to make his car faster than his brother's RSX (which won't be easy since HE is running high 13s).

I am leading a personal crusade to eliminate all traces of amber from the exterior of my car & I will soon be triumphant. After seeing my car, Joe has joined the effort. :D Both of us have also successfully installed GReddy FATTs & have them working with the stock alarm (which I had been without for the past 9 months). (2thumbs) I am also going to be trading him my custom exhaust for his stock exhaust so that I can do my GHL S pipe/ATP cutout setup. More mods & pics to come soon! (flash)
If he wants to beat his brother right away tell him to buy my car I will bring it to him to show him.
Dan

Black Majik MSP said:
I forgot to mention...the story behind his purchase of this car is very amusing. It amazes me how stubborn & ignorant some people can be.
And that story is....? (dunno)

Demonic-Speed said:
(uhm) He edited the post to include the story
Actually, I didn't.

Let me start by saying that Gunther Mazda is great (the service department anyway), but the used car division isn't.

My friend Joe calls me to tell me that they have a blue MSP with 5XXX miles on it, but they are asking like $19k + TTT. I told him that I got my car new for $18,900 OTD & that I was going to come with him to look at it. We go together & I look at the car...for the most part, it's in nice shape, but it has a few things that need to be fixed under warranty (coolant leak, rusted rotor hubs) & a few things that can't be fixed (scratched shift knob/ignition, small knick on 1 rim, spot in center of lip that had been cracked & fixed with a 1/2assed touchup paint job). I figure that these things should add up to take some $$ off of the value. Then we find out that Mazda apparently has a new, longer warranty & that it was added to this car since it's certified. We tell them that we don't need it & that we just want the original warranty. Again, we figure this should save some $$.

We talk to 1 guy & he is really cool, but he wasn't the original salesman that Joe talked to. However, he is frank with us & even tells us what to say & do to get the car. This is the one honest, decent, nice guy who works there (that I dealt with anyway). So then we meet the original salesman & this guy doesn't know anything. He tries to tell me that the wing on the car costs $1000, that I have an 03 (since I have no lip or wing), & that the 03.5s have all kinds of extra stuff. I told him that the wing was $350 tops (painted), that I took my wing & lip off, that the 03s were only Black & Orange, & that the differences between the 03 & 03.5 were very minimal. After talking for a while, Joe & I decide to give him a # & if he tells us he can't do it, we walk out. I came up with $17,750 OTD & wrote it out for him. He tells us that he can't do anything without running it by his boss first, so he leaves to ask him. He comes back & tells us that we have to make a better offer, so Joe & I get up & leave.

Once we make it to the door, the manager stops us...realizing that we are serious. He then proceeds to justify why we should pay more for the car. He says that the car is no longer in production, that it's very hard to find one, & that it's worth a lot. I told him that I could go online & find 30+ people selling them & that I have talked to people all over FL who had theirs for sale. He tells me that you can't find them in this kind of condition & that they are very valuable now. I said it's true that it has low mileage, but it's NOT in perfect condition & it's still a USED car. I explain that dealers were stuck with them when they first came out & sold them at low prices, then they went up in value after the new ones were all gone, but that they have dropped down again since everyone is selling them. Then I tell him that there is no way we are going to pay the same price or higher for this car when I got mine for $18,900 brand new & that they were even going for $16,500 OTD in TX when they were new. This is where it went from just disagreeing to actually arguing...I realized that this guy is stubborn, arrogrant, & a total asshole. He tells me that I didn't get my car for $18,900 & those people didn't get theirs for $16,500 because Mazda had incentives & that's not what we actually paid & some other BS. I said "Look, that is how much I paid for it. I don't care what Mazda did...that's how much it cost me new." Then I also tell him that we don't need this extra warranty thing because we're going to mod the car & probably have it voided by the time it runs out anyway. He asks me why I needed to add anything to the car & I say "because it's not very fast stock." The guy then tells me that it's fast enough the way it is & I just laughed. At that point, I'd had more than enough of this guy & his grandiose illusions of selling a used MSP for nearly the new MSRP price. Joe & I walked out & got in my car to leave.

Earlier in the day, while we were outside, I parked my car next to the 2 MSPs that they were selling so that they could see that I already owned one. I noticed that one of them (not the one that Joe bought) had a very sensitive alarm that beeped at my exhaust. As we were sitting in my car, talking about how it is impossible to reason with someone who is completely unreasonable, I decided to leave them with something to remember us by. I backed up to leave the parking lot & made sure to give the car extra gas while in reverse. My plan worked perfectly & the Titanium MSP's alarm went into the crazy morse code beeping frenzy. (laugh) I was hoping that they had the keys for it in some locker & that it would take them a long time to come outside & turn it off (it was conveniently parked right next to the manager's officer window).

I was totally shocked when, the next day, Joe calls me & told me that his salesman had called him & said that there was a different manager on duty that day & that they could meet our price, but only if he bought it that day. My guess is that someone realized it would be harder to sell than they thought & that they saw we were serious when we just walked out. I'm just glad that it worked out & Joe now has a nice blue MSP. :D

ya, dealers are pretty freakin stuck up about these cars, i have talked to a few, and they all want 19K+, one wanted over 20K, they are all stuck on the fact that its limited production, what they dont realize, or dont want to realize, one or the other, is that there are so many of them for sale right now, that the fact that they are limited production basically means jack s***... using that as an increase in value probably wont set in for a few more years, when a number of them have been wrecked/parted out, whatever, and when the people that own them at that time are looking to keep them, not sell, so there will only be a limited number on the market, if any at all, especially one with the exact year and color that you'd want, i guess if the dealership is looking to hold onto a car for a couple years they MIGHT be able to get the return they want out of it, but its usaully in the best interest of dealerships to get rid of cars ASAP, i think pretty soon they will start to feel the heat, and lower their prices, who knows tho...

just fyi, im getting the exact same car, lower miles, for almost 2K less ;), he still got a good deal on it tho, especially from a dealership...

JHew84 said:
just fyi, im getting the exact same car, lower miles, for almost 2K less ;), he still got a good deal on it tho, especially from a dealership...
Awesome, make sure to post pictures once you get it. Also, where are you located?

Ha, they want to SELL you on the fact that it's limited production...but see how fast they don't give a s*** when you try and trade one in!

MetalSpeed said:
good story I wish I could've been their to see that
I tried to explain the story as best I could remember, but even right after it happened, I told Joe that I wish I had recorded it somehow. I just couldn't believe the stuff this guy was saying.

I looked at MSP's and still want an RSX-S over it. MSP's aren't bad cars by any means but the Honda aftermarket is great and the K20 already makes more HP with the same displacement and no boost bone stock. Suspension mods are plentiful for the RSX-S and the build quality is so impressive on RSX-S's.

One MSP I looked at they wanted 18,000 for an 03 Spicy. The car was missing the intake, had holes drilled in the A-pillar, the stereo and power mirrors didnt work. The motor detonated all the way to redline. The stupidest line was "These are rare, that's why we're asking 18k." My response was..."If it's so rare, how did I find it on your lot?"

Replica said:
I looked at MSP's and still want an RSX-S over it. MSP's aren't bad cars by any means but the Honda aftermarket is great and the K20 already makes more HP with the same displacement and no boost bone stock. Suspension mods are plentiful for the RSX-S and the build quality is so impressive on RSX-S's.
They can also rev 2k RPMs higher than us & their 2.0L was designed to go fast...ours was just designed to go. I do agree they are great cars though...some of the nicest ones around are local friends of mine. I love the feel of the shifter & the fact that it's a 6spd, but I just can't deny the extra cost & the overabundance of them.

They are really expensive but i think you get what you pay for. That drivetrain on the RSX-S is pure sex, and the tranny is the best I've ever felt. I really believe it totally out classes the MSP, but "bang for the buck" I think a mildly modded MSP takes the cake.

To say that the MSP wasn't made to be quick is kinda funny. It has a turbo. Turbos are for two things, going fast or towing trailers full of hay bails.

Replica said:
They are really expensive but i think you get what you pay for. That drivetrain on the RSX-S is pure sex, and the tranny is the best I've ever felt. I really believe it totally out classes the MSP, but "bang for the buck" I think a mildly modded MSP takes the cake.

To say that the MSP wasn't made to be quick is kinda funny. It has a turbo. Turbos are for two things, going fast or towing trailers full of hay bails.
I was talking about engine vs engine...Mazda didn't modify the FS-DE before slapping the turbo on. Yes, the MSP has a turbo, but what's more important is the engine it's attached to & that is still just a 2.0L 130hp 4cyl that was never meant to go fast. Our tranny was designed the same way.

"but what's more important is the engine it's attached to & that is still just a 2.0L 130hp 4cyl that was never meant to go fast. Our tranny was designed the same way"

tell that to my car, it doesn't believe me when I tell it.

Back