Mazdaspeed Miata turbo upgrade options?

Gaboost

:
2006 Aspen White WRX
I thinking seriously about trading my msp in for a msm, but i'm wondering about the stock turbo that comes on the miata. I've read it's a IHI RBH5, also I've heard it runs out of steam on the top end. Now knowing a good amount about Subaru's, i know people who own wrx's use IHI turbos that come stock on the Sti to upgrade the stock wrx mitsubishi turbo. Since those two turbos are interchangeable, I'm wondering if they would work on the msm. The stock wrx turbo seems like a perfect match for it, and it seems plenty would be available from the subaru forums. Just wondering if anyone has any info on this.

to answer your question... I don't think anyone knows yet... to the best of my knowledge and the online world, no one has changed the turbo on these cars yet...

I don't even think anyone has checked to see what other bolt up options there are...

But "run out of steam" is a relative term... there's people who've run up to 15psi on teh stock turbo already...

Its a small turbo, its not going to have killer topend power. A stock WRX turbo is tiny too, a bit smaller than the t25 on the MSP's IIRC.

The turbo on the MSM is sized right for the typical MSM driver. There will always be people, like you, who want more. I'm sure that Flyin'Miata has looked into the issue. They already have a bigger intercooler upgrade for it, and ongoing R&D.

and they also just bought an MSM to develop stuf with themselves.. ;)

FM is cool.. I just got their downpipe/cat for teh MSM... sitting here waitin to install...

The subi IHI is not a direct fit to the MSM. There are a few option. BEGI makes an upgrade and FM does also. Both are over 2K. There is a company called deadbolt that can upgrade your compressor with a bigger wheel. Also Blouche can do the same. A few guys have done custom manifolds and DP's also

Last edited:
if u wanna build your motor with pistons and rods you can get the garrett 3071r and make roughly 100+ more hp with a good tune or u can keep the motor the same and run the 2560 and push around 13psi safely with an o2 modifier, intake, exaust, and i.c.

If you want to swap the turbo you need new manifold. Also, you can bore out factory turbine housing and just run that turbo. If I had a spare that's what I'd be doing so I wouldn't creep every day.

rob if you could spare the down time i can upgrade your stock turbo on the cheaps

The IHI on the MSM is not anywhere similar to the subi turbo. Your best bet would be to upgrade the entire setup.

same way we do for the mazdaspeed3 and 6. port and polish the housings, larger compressor wheel, ported wastegate and clipped exhaust wheel

Any chance you could PM me some info on that? Price, power, and supporting mods necessary ...

Thank you!

Back