Failed piston ring?

CP time? no more diesel? :) Sorry to hear the bad news though... glad you got it apart ok though.

Kooldino said:
New pistons.
damn dude, good luck. too bad it takes forever to get some CP's made.

and like suggested you should lower your compression some this time. it doesn't have to be all that much. You are getting into the realm of higher horsepower so I'm sure you can live with a tad bit more sluggeshness of boost. My CP's at 8:1 and I know I can live with them once I install them. they'll help to save my ass (in conjunction with the dual knock sensors of the AEM EMS)

hope everything goes smoothly Dana

I "think" you can get just one piston though from JE and you'd be set... .that would be the cheapest route.

PaulMP3 said:
are you staying with 9:1?
I'll probably go 8.5:1 just for grins.

Anyone wanna buy three good (and one slightly damaged) 9:1 pistons cheap? ;-)

The skirts aren't even scuffed. Suprising.

TurfBurn said:
I "think" you can get just one piston though from JE and you'd be set... .that would be the cheapest route.
Right, but I might as well just go lower compression if I'm having the downtime anyway. I'll sell the three good pistons (and the one bad one) to whoever wants them at a low rate. Then they can get the 4th one remade.

I'm just not a big fan of lowering compression... :) I bumped to 8.9:1 but that was it. If you lower that compression you have to make up for the power with more boost, a turbo is only about 73% efficient... I believe the piston cycle is 86% efficient. That's a major simplification, but either way. I'm relying on the JandS and the Microtech combined to be my answer to the detonation and make big power :) I believe each point of compression (like 8 versus 9) is about 15 horse when used in NA. So granted lowering your compression is basically requiring about 1.5 psi more (on a poor tune) to compensate... the question is which is better power wise. Keep in mind that some of the Honda's and stuff consider a "low" compression to be about 9 as they are up in the 10's in some cases. I saw that just recently and believe it was Honda motors, but may have been something else... it's a toss up I guess... as we get more dynos out and the like I guess we'll see :).

I can also sell you a set of Mazdaspeed pistons and rods with rings for cheap if you want the car to be up and running in the meantime. Let me know if that becomes of interest for you.

(jacked)Dana, I just got home (1 hour and 15 minutes with hardcore traffic...cut few assholes here and there) major accident on the north bound side of Parkway. Two cars hit the sidewall of the overpass bridge, both cars totalled, I hope drivers and passengers survived... Anyhow, IM FAMOUS!!! Thats my finger tip in that piston picture (headbang)

Eee-alrighty then, as I said before Dana. Whenever you will get the new set of pistons, gimme a buzz, Ill come over.

TurfBurn said:
a turbo is only about 73% efficient
It would depend on what turbo you have and how much boost you are running.

Lower compression, good intercooler and the right AFR will always get you more power the higher compression and less boost.

MPNick said:
It would depend on what turbo you have and how much boost you are running.

Lower compression, good intercooler and the right AFR will always get you more power the higher compression and less boost.
what nick said!! (thumb)

how would that ring land get cracked like that? Detonation im guessing? I dont know why else... too hot?

-bryan

TurfBurn said:
I can also sell you a set of Mazdaspeed pistons and rods with rings for cheap if you want the car to be up and running in the meantime. Let me know if that becomes of interest for you.
Thanks, but I have a set of stock rods and pistons sitting in my closet. In the meantime, I'll pray for good weather and ride my motorcycle. I'm using the downtime to make improvements on my car. :)

azian6er said:
how would that ring land get cracked like that? Detonation im guessing? I dont know why else... too hot?

-bryan
That's a damn good question...anyone? Bueller?

Anyway, I'd just like to thank everyone who helped me out thus far.

Beau @ MAM
MPNick
CustomMSP
DiS
Turfburn
BMWrit

I really appreciate everything.

if it was detonation, i would have guessed the ring above it would be gone, not the ring land. I dont really know piston anatomy though...

is there a manufacturer warranty on JE stuff? might want to check on thateven though i doubt it.

-bryan

It's my pleasure. I just wish it wasn't so damn cold! How did the wiring go? Lol at my title! I just noticed that :)

CustomMSP said:
It's my pleasure. I just wish it wasn't so damn cold! How did the wiring go? Lol at my title! I just noticed that :)
We ended up not doing wiring and doing something top secret. I'll fill you in next time we speak.

Latest posts

Back