Failed piston ring?

This is the order in which I plan to do things...if anyone has any input, let's hear it.

-Pull off valve cover
-pull out cams/cam gears
-drain coolant
-disconnect eleventy billion lines
-loosen nuts from head bolts
-disconnect black dog bone bracket on the back of intake manifold -> block
-disconnect turbo from manifold
-wire up/suspend turbo (so it's securely held)
-pull off accessory belts
-Pull the head
-drain oil
-disconnect oil return line from oil pan
-take off intake pipe
-unbolt the downpipe from the turbo and MAKE SURE TURBO IS SECURE (it will be held up by the turbo -> IC pipe at least)
-Jack up the car
-pull the bottom flange bolts off the downpipe, and remove downpipe
-pull off oil pan
-Drill 2 holes wherever I have to drill them to get the "girdle" out
-Take said "girdle" out (do they share bolts with the oil pan?)
-remove two bolts from the bottom of the rod BUT BE CAREFUL NOT TO DROP ROD BEARINGS
-remove rod bearings, note orientation, put aside
-carefully push piston out of the top of the block
-ASSUMING THE PISTON IS NOT DAMAGED AND THE RINGS ARE:
-remove rings
-install new rings that are filed to spec
-examine bore - hone if needed
-pull out old head studs
-use ring compressor to put the piston back into the cylinder
-re-insert rod bearings
-torque rod to spec
-use razor to remove RTV from oil pan/girdle/etc
-re-apply RTV to girdle
-reinstall girdle
-re-install oil pan
-re-install downpipe
-reconnect oil return line to oil pan
-install new 11mm head studs
-if necessary, pull old head stud washers out of head
-put in new head gasket
-drop on the head
-torque head
-reinstall dog bone from intake mani->block
-reinstall cams/cam gears
-time engine correctly (i hate this part)
-reinstall belts/etc
-rebolt turbo
-reinsert valve cover
-reconnect a bajillon lines
-fill coolant
-fill oil
-say a prayer
-fire that effer up!

Ok, so what did I forget? If I forgot something, quote me and insert the step where you think it should go in boldface text. At some point during the teardown, I have to take off the UDP (i hate that part), but I'm not sure when.

just want to wish you well on your project! if i was back east id be down to get under that beast and help you. s***, it wouldnt be the first time id done it...lol

Pic of the pistons that are in my car...

Attachments

• 000_0029.jpg
    000_0029.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 122
1FASTMP5 said:
just want to wish you well on your project! if i was back east id be down to get under that beast and help you. s***, it wouldnt be the first time id done it...lol
Doh! What happened to yours?

Kooldino said:
Doh! What happened to yours?
nothing enternal wise.... just the whole msp turbo/tranny install then un-install i had to do. i did that s*** all by my self.....NOT FUN. hahah

LOL, dont be hatin'! Dude, hows the progress? Leave something for me and Ron to do this Saturday!!! By the way, your life isnt that bad, yesterday I cought a nail and went to straus to fix......blah blah blah, asshole mechanic revs my car to 4 grand various times just to get the tire plugged....blah blah blah, i yell and curse the mechanic kid over and out ******* ASSHOLE!!! then I yell and b**** at store manager, get my keys throw their floor paper in front of the door and peel off of the parking lot. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Today at work, my 500 dollars alarm 2-way pager goes ******* off. I go check my car at construction site, FUCKERS ARE TRYING TO PUT MY CAR ON THE TOW TRUCK!!!! Me and my co-worker (we are land surveyors) driving up and Im ready to ******* fist fight! Im like, WTF!!! one of the construction guys says, WE were looking for the owner for 3 hours (hense its a small construction site, everyone knows where 2 surveyors are) we needed this vehicle to be moved because we need to pave this parking lot. I go, WTF MAN! If you would tell me that yesterday I wouldnt park here!!! Now those assholes couldnt even get my car off the ground because each time they tried, my psycho syren would just scream!! hehe. Anyhow, they got off my ass, I reparked and went to finish the building lay outs.

So, Dana, its not so bad. hehe, I mean, wtf, nail yesterday, tow truck attempt today, WTF TOMORROW?!!?!?! Well I know that Saturday ill be working on your car, hehehehehhehehehe.

Damn DiS.

Anyway, the head is off. The top of the piston looks fine, and the bore looks pretty clean. More tomorrow.

DUDE...my compression is also off... i got 205 in the 1st, 2nd and 4th cylinders and 185 in the 3rd... seems like thats always cylinder that goes out... what do you think my problem is? the same probably...

wishing you luck on your project

dumb - do the teaspoon of oil test.

BTW, when I pulled my head off, the 10mm head studs that were in there would wiggle by the touch once they were loose. I can't believe they held my head in place.

Attachments

• 100_1283.JPG
    100_1283.JPG
    372.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 100_1284.JPG
    100_1284.JPG
    292.8 KB · Views: 109
  • ARP 11mm vs 10mm.JPG
    ARP 11mm vs 10mm.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 82
damn. i would do the studs first huh? would suck if that was the problem, not the rings.

but you said you did the oil test and compression went up a bit?
-B

azian6er said:
damn. i would do the studs first huh? would suck if that was the problem, not the rings.

but you said you did the oil test and compression went up a bit?
-B
Yup. Plus I wasn't getting any mixing of coolant/oil AFAIK.

Also, I went up to MP Nick's shop last night (it was a long cold ass ride on my motorcycle), and we filed the rings. Getting a little bit closer every day.

I have pictures of where those bolts are for the tranny.... but I can point in you in the right direction without a pic. Take a 9/16" drill bit and punch up through the bell housing RIGHT NEXT to the metal gasket that is between the motor and the bell housing (the final hole should leave about 2-3mm of metal there). you do it right at where those two "prongs" stick down fromt he bell housing. It'll make sense when you look under. But center on those and you'll be close enough. Be careful when you punch through because you'll be at or just behind the flywheel and you can hit the starter gear teeth. You'll have to rotate the the flywheel while looking up through the holes with a flashlight to see the bolts appear. It requires a 10 or 12 mm socket to get them out. That's it there.

I have my motor completely torn down... I haven't done the "put it back together" part of things yet.. so I can't help you much on that... but I do know where everything is and have a torn apart motor to take pics of for you should you need them.

How did you file the rings without a cylinder bore??? You need to match them to your cylinder bore.... but anyway... give me a ring if you need any help... if you don't have my number pm me and I'll hook you up.

Later.

Steve

TurfBurn said:
I have pictures of where those bolts are for the tranny.... but I can point in you in the right direction without a pic. Take a 9/16" drill bit and punch up through the bell housing RIGHT NEXT to the metal gasket that is between the motor and the bell housing (the final hole should leave about 2-3mm of metal there). you do it right at where those two "prongs" stick down fromt he bell housing. It'll make sense when you look under. But center on those and you'll be close enough. Be careful when you punch through because you'll be at or just behind the flywheel and you can hit the starter gear teeth. You'll have to rotate the the flywheel while looking up through the holes with a flashlight to see the bolts appear. It requires a 10 or 12 mm socket to get them out. That's it there.
Ok, cool. Snap a pic today if you can.

How did you file the rings without a cylinder bore??? You need to match them to your cylinder bore....
We used a blown motor with a stock bore at Nick's shop. I'm going to get feeler guages and double check on my own.

that'll work then... if anything it'll be a thousandth or two too big... which just means more blow by... which isn't the end of the world... just not ideal.

Also if you have a chance to take pictures of your rod bearings when they are out I'd like to see that as I'm curious if you are seeing any uneven wear or any polishing of the bearing surfaces at your boost levels.

Kooldino said:
Yeah, i'd DEFINITELY need a picture here.

This is the best I can do. I had to reach under the car with the camera. It came out a little blurry but it will give you the idea.

IM000082.JPG

Well, the verdict is in. It's a ring land in the piston. It's BARELY cracked.

On a good note, the skirts are BARELY scuffed on the piston. ******' A.

Attachments

• cracked-piston-web.jpg
    cracked-piston-web.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 657
Also, here's a pic of the holes I drilled in the tranny bell housing...

Attachments

• tranny-holes-web.jpg
    tranny-holes-web.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 117
Back