RX-7 camber plates might fit

xelderx

Zoom Zoom Boom X 3
I just talked with one of the suspension guys at Tripoint Engineering and he said that they originally used camber plates for an RX-7 on their Proteges. I'm off to check the bolt battern on my 2nd Gen GXL. If this proves to be correct and from what Tripoint was saying, this might be a good cheap alternative for us. I need a set by this weekend so I'm off to start figuring this out.

Cool, great way to build some suspense and tease us...Couldn't you have waited until after you checked and verified it? Sheesh. J/K

Great news, if it does work. We all need inexpensive negative camber

I'm waiting for a call back from Mazdaspeed Motorsports. They seem pretty confident that it's the plates for the 1st Gen RX-7. I hate waiting for phone calls.

i've been wanting to do this for sometime but never had anyone that had the physical camber plates off the car to check. i was looking at either the 1st or 2nd gen. RX-7's.

please let us know how it goes i'd definitely be interested in it.

I just checked and the bolt pattern for the upper strut perch on the Proteges is exactly the same as the 1st Gen RX-7. It might also be the same for the 2nd Gen RX-7, but the perches themsleves look much different where the 1st Gen RX-7 perches look roughly the same.

Mike R said:
Sweet! Is the strut rod diameter the same?
Haven't checked that yet. There is a high probability that it will be slightly different leaving us to either modify the camber plates or machine down the strut rod. I have a lathe that should allow me to turn the upper strut rod while still in the strut housing if I need to do that.

Mazdaspeed Motorsports is supposed to call me back before noon tomorrow. I've already ordered camber plates from Delsing Motorsports today that will be here on Friday. I'll post up the info that Mazdaspeed gives me when they call tomorrow.

Update

Tripoint used the 1st Gen RX-7 camber plates on the rear or the Proteges unmodified. There is no concrete information at this time about the front application other than the bolt patterns are the same. Strut rod diameter and the height of the pillow mount are unknown in relation to the Protege units. A set of adjustable coil-overs would overcome any difference in height that the pillow mounts happen to be off from one car to the other, but the strut rod diameter might require some slight machining to get it to fit. I'll have some more info in the coming weeks since I have a friend ith a 1st Gen RX-7 nearby and I can measure his stock strut diameter. Give me some time and I might have this figured out.

Mike R said:
Were you able to find out if the strut/pillow mount info?
Sorry, I got sidetracked. I have to pull the whole front suspension off the car next week to replace all the bushings. There are a lot of little things I'll be taking care of at that time. I'll get a measurement on the strut rod diameter and hopefully I can get the 1st Gen RX-7 up in the air to mearsure it as well. Once I got my Delsing camber plates I kinda forgot about this. You can smack me later.

Mike R said:
I could get you the strut rod info for the pro, I have a set of struts sitting in a garage.
If you want to. I won't be able to check mine until tomorrow and I'm not sure when I can measure the RX7.

Back