HELP My P5 Sputters!

gimpo2

:
Protege5
My car is running all ****** up. This just happened at a red light. After the red light, my car started to sputter and would barely accelerate. I pulled over and turned the car off, started it again and the same thing. got out and it smelled like soemthing was burning (oil?) when i put the car in neutral and rev it, it revs freely except in the lower RPMs when it starts to putter, if i its in drive it sputters and barely goes. I got to my friends house, we pulled out the spark plugs and there is no oil on them. plugs 2 and 3 are quite black though, (i'm boosted and running rich) and ideas? my friend is saying its prolly timing or some bad spark plug cables. HELP!?!?

Last edited:
22k miles. i got the sparcko wires in there, i think i'm gonna put my stockers back in tomorrow

gimpo2 said:
22k miles. i got the sparcko wires in there, i think i'm gonna put my stockers back in tomorrow
Could be the sparko wires. They're not that high quailty. When I changed my spark plugs, i pulled them out and the connector (the metal part that touches the spark plug) separated from the wire. Had to re-crimp them tight.

bump for day crew, it has been raining alot here and i have an evo hood. but it wasn 't raining when it started doing this, and it didn't do it at all last week when it was raining then...

it has to be fuel or spark , i'll take a look when it gets up here andrew

Man you scared me there for a moment. I thought your car was stock w/ sputtering problems...

Anyhow this incident happen to me too on my 323 w/ nitrous. I did the same thing you did check the plugs. Nothing was wrong but just to be sure I replaced it and reset my computer and after that s*** never happened again. Good Luck !!!

check the gaps between your plugs because last week, my car had the same problem. Took it to mazda and they told me it was sparkplug gap got closed.

actaully i think its one of my coil packs. one of the harnesses on them is cracked and i can see that one of the metal wire pieces is broken out.

Exact same thing happens to me all the time. Its the spark plug caps. I have the sparko set and every time I wash the engine compartment water gets under the caps and grounds out the plugs. Remove the caps after washing a blow it out with compressed air or let it evaporate. Do a good job removing the water, even though you think you get it all out with a rag it will still short out.

Togan said:
maybe its time for an oil change..?
(rofl)

I'm sorry, that's not very nice of me. (sad2)

Like everyone else mentioned fuel or spark is probably the culprit. You could also check your PCV valve and clean out the throttle body, particularly the IAC valve.

Last edited:
wonder if it could be a nasty O2 sensor?

maybe its dirty/corroded or outta place? do you have a CAI?

Back