Crankshaft position sensor

A.V.MSP

:
3.5MSP
My car died last week and havent been able to get it to run. It turns over but doesnt start. My CEL light is always on so I didnt know I was throwing a code. Any way finally got it checked and it says crankshaft positionsensor malfunction. It was raining when it died so is it a possibility it got wet and if I just erase the code will the car start? im gonna check the connection right now but wanted to know what you guys think before I erase the code, thanx

hah, mine failed on me a while ago, then the one i replaced it with failed within a few week, the new one has been in for a long time though...over 8 months

its the sensor right next to the water pump pulley right? if it is I melted the wires right at the last hook thing that keeps the wires next to the block. How the hell does that happen?

into my downpipe. and the downpipe sits next to the radiator hose and its wrapped in heat wrap. not that it still doesnt get hot though. Since I melted some wires could I just cut off where its melted and run new wire?

yes, but I'd suggesnt soldering, and possibly running them further from all the hot stuff, so be safe. also wrap the wires in tin foil, or some other kind of heat resistant covering. also consider some high grade teflon coated wire, it will survive longer than PVC coated wire.

Back