Elderly lady backs into Mazda3...

bvmazda3

Well, I've had better days, but this crappy event added to others today...

Warning: Not terribly exciting, and incredibly long rant.

A woman, who was born at the dawn of time itself, backed into my car today while i was sitting in it.

I was parallel parked behind her, when she decided to throw it in reverse and tromp on the gas. About the same time I sounded my horn, I was astonished to find she had bashed into my front bumper. Well, I got out of the car, and went to her window where she waved, apologised, and attempted to leave.

I told her that wasn't allowed, and asked politely her to stay so that we could examine the damage and exchange information. She didn't like that idea.

We went to check it out, whereupon I notice that my plate holder was crushed, and my grill popped out partially. In her expert opinion, "there's no damage. All these new cars are curved like that!" Hmm... not good enough.

I told her that I knew what my car looked like before she hit it, which would make me a better judge of the damage. She started getting defensive and agressive, telling me it was *my fault* for being too close behind her. My car was illegally parked as I was partially in the yellow line of the curb, however there was plenty of room for her, had she been LOOKING!

She said, "well I never expected anyone to be behind me, so why should I have to look?!". Oddly enough, I remember seeing her eyes peering into the rear-view mirror moments before she turned her automobile into a rolling sledgehammer.

Now, I ask to see her driver's license. She tells me that the reason she was leaving in a hurry was that she'd forgotten her wallet at home, and that she would return in 10 minutes. I told her that would be fine, I would meet her back at the same spot, and that it really didn't matter as i had her plate number already. At that she replied, get this, "Well, in that case I guess I'll come back in 10 mintues."

Let - me - get - this - straight! Sounds like she wasn't planning on coming back until I told her that.

10 minutes elapses, and i've gone to the drug store to get a disposable camera for pics, taken a few of my car, and she returns. She's parked around the corner, but my wife has returned by this point and tells me where the woman came from. I let her chat it up with wifey (more like she was exceptionally agressive and not a bit NUTZ), while I took pics of her car. Got some good shots of the plate, bumper, including one with a rectangular impression of my license plate mount, and a nice scratch. Then I really stunned her by asking her to pose next to my car while I snapped one off of her, looking dazed and high on painkillers. :D

Now, I ask again for her license. She refuses. She yells, she stomps, she tells me that there's really no reason for me to call the police, she tells me that I'm wasting everyones time. Well, the po-po says all I need is her plate number, so I send her on her way, but not before she tells me that she's going to fight this tooth-and-nail.

She repeatedly asked me, "Can you see my point of view?! Can you!?" This was becoming tiresome, so I replied, friendly-like, "Yes, I can understand what you're trying to say, but that doesn't mean I would ever agree with you." Now, what I restrained myself from saying was, "Have you ever considered that you might want to give up driving at your age?" But I figured that wouldn't look too good for me.

Now, the bad part. $350 in damage.. the grille and the plate mount.

Now, the worse part. Insurance company says that if she denies full responsiblity, that *I'm* at fault. Say that again?!? Well, because I was in my vehicle at the time, there would be nothing to prove that she was going *backwards* and that they would assume that *I* hit her from behind! And that my rates would go up! And that I would have to pay for *HER* and *MY* vehicles' damages!

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

It wouldn't be so bad if she just admitted she was wrong. She's driving a nice car, in the nicest area of town, and she won't even take ownership of this. I think that if *I* end up paying for this, I'm gonna make sure I burn down her house. Yes, that's it. No, I'm just kidding, but damn I sure would feel that urge if she ends up screwing me over - I know it.

Well, if you made it this far. I'm sorry! ;) I'm upset, but this was good therapy... Just needed to vent. I know I'm not in the wrong and, if the Universe is at all fair, this minor problem will be resolved without further worry.

Last edited:
LOL - that would be nice, but I still don't even know who she is! Never even gave me her name. But if I ever find out... I'm gonna have a bunch of burritos, a gallon of milk, and come castor oil before I drop one in her sunroof! :D

Another story confirming one again that OLD PEOPLE SHOULDN'T DRIVE!!! Good luck w/everything.

Keep us posted...
I'd love to hear the outcome.

I've been screwed over by insurance companies before. Hope you don't get shafted.

If you really want revenge, there should be SOMEONE able to figure out where she lives......

Or, if karma exists, you'll see her driving around one day =)

you should have called the cops, and found a witness, that is always the 2nd thing you do after talking/writing down the person who hit you liscense plate.

so did u not call the cops at all? if she was that nuts thats the first thing i would have done.

There will always be stupid people like this b**** that hit your car. I myself am fed up of s*** like this, they scratch the living daylinght out of your bumper, and there like, ah, it'll buff out, evenif it'll just buff out, why the **** should I pay to buff it out. You take that b**** to court. Send the court a letter in advance so they know you're side already, it always helps.

mp5jeff said:
you should have called the cops, and found a witness, that is always the 2nd thing you do after talking/writing down the person who hit you liscense plate.

I called the cops. Even though she wouldn't show me her license or give me her name, they said that having her plate number would be enough as the damage was under $1000.

Well, I'm happy. I just checked my work phone's voicemail... ICBC called on Friday to tell me that the woman took full responsibility for the accident, and that the letter waiving my deductible is in the mail!

Quite an about-face for that lady... she must've got home and had someone talk some sense into her, or she had a hunch that I wasn't going to let this drop without a fight.

Huge weight off my shoulders... now my rates won't increase, and I get my whip fixed for n/c!

Wherever and whoever you are, Old One, thanks for doing the right thing. Wait... Let me write that again, she'll never be able to read that....

Wherever and whoever you are, Old One, thanks for doing the right thing.

SpicyMchaggis said:
you should of kicked her in the head..then had her fix your car.

Totally. Kicking old ladies in the head can be fun in and by itself. Accident or not, no reason necessary to do so. (thumb)

Thanks! Yah, I'm happy too. Like I said before, it wasn't a lot of physical damage to the car, but there would have been some serious fiscal damage if she wanted to screw me! Whew!

Called the insurance co. and asked if I could get an aftermarket grille instead of the OEM grill. They said that it would be no problem, as long as it was approximately the same price! Love that! I think I'll try to get in on the group buy of the Erebuni grills, if my wife agrees to it, that is.

Back