ODB II Devices Thread - Nology PDA - Beltronics - Autotap - Etc

CasopoliS

Contributor
:
05 Legacy GT, 06 Accord SE, Civic
I have been looking at accelerometers, Nology PDA, Autotap, etc. For those of you who don't know, these are systems that plug into our vehicle's ODB II port, and show various engine parameters...and calculate some as well. The ODB II port outputs engine light diagnostics, intake air temp, coolant temp, and many others in real-time.

Autotap

Nology PDA system

Beltronics Accelerometers

The Autotap is neat becuase you can display on your laptop in realtime. The newer windows version apparently has various graphics and gauge options. For those of you who have a laptop....this would be good for only $200. Talk about plug-and-play. You can look at your speed / RPMS / vs. time, coolant temp in realtime, RPMs, O2 sensor data, etc. The problem with this system is the incapability to calculate an estimated Hp, which depends on the vehicle's weight, and other parameters like 1/4 mile time, 0-60, etc. This unit uses USB connectivity. Which brings me to the Nology PDA Dyno system.

The Nology system can calcuate Hp and torque accurately if the vehicle's specs are defined correctly. This system offers all the outputs as the others, and some more.....but limits users to the use of a PDA. You need ot purchase one seperately if you want to use it. This system is $350 +. (Not including PDA)

The Beltronics Unit is a more permenant application for the vehicle, and has a smaller screen. It actually does not connect to the ODB port, but has some options similar to the other units. The options are less.....and so is the price. A non-logging unit (FX1) can be found for $100. The FX2 allows the user to output to a computer after logging, but not in real time. This unit is $180. They both show a bit less. They both JUST calculate Hp, 1/4 mile, 0-60, and G-force. If you don't care about logging the FX1 is hella cheap for a neat little tool. If the Hp is not extremely accurate, at least you can use it as a comparative tool as you mod....watching the estimated Hp go up or down depending on the mod. This just plugs into the cig. lighter......don't know how accurate this can be.

Depending on exactly what you want, these units all have various options and have a wide price range. The Nology has the most features....and the highest price. I personally would like to see a laptop program that does it all.

If you have any experience with these items, please post your input on this thread. If you know of any other items that are similar, please post on those items as well. Obviously these are not all the options available. I hope this to be an informative thread.

Last edited:
Any "real-time" ive experienced with the OBDII system sucks. Maybe its just my hardware (www.scantool.net) but ive used the scantool software and also digimoto software (www.digimoto.com) and there is always delay. Never instananeous real time.

Does anyone know the max data rate of OBDII? I guess I could look it up now, but...

I have heard up to 40 times a second, depending on the vehicle. The delay is probably a combination of the vehicle output, and the way the software/interface works on the PDA/Computer. Autotap has USB interface, but I do not know if this speeds up anything. From reading, people seem to be happy with the Nology System and its accuracy. Not too sure what the Nology response time is though.

Recent Ebay find.....yet another company. Seems similar to Nology's system for half the cost. This seller also sells the Pocket PC version.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

AutoEnginuity

Added to the list....seems good. Stil wondering if the graphing, RPM output, and other values update on the PDA in real-time or if there is a dealy.

Last edited:
My autoxray is LIVE, changes INSTANTLY. I have it scanning multiple features: ill list them:
load, short term fuel, long term fuel, MIL distance, OXY1 sensor, OXY2 sensor, throttle position, air intake temp, coolant temp, timing advance, i can get pending and live obd2 codes, i can do a buncha tests, like misfire, o2 sensor, o2 sensor heater, egr, air conditioning system, and more.

I love it, paid $130, and then $130 for the LIVE scanner upgrade, and it is live, as soon as i touch the pedal, i can see everything change

pdhaudio83 said:
My autoxray is LIVE, changes INSTANTLY. I have it scanning multiple features: ill list them:
load, short term fuel, long term fuel, MIL distance, OXY1 sensor, OXY2 sensor, throttle position, air intake temp, coolant temp, timing advance, i can get pending and live obd2 codes, i can do a buncha tests, like misfire, o2 sensor, o2 sensor heater, egr, air conditioning system, and more.

I love it, paid $130, and then $130 for the LIVE scanner upgrade, and it is live, as soon as i touch the pedal, i can see everything change

Does this unit calculate 1/4 mile times, acceleration, braking, etc? Is this a PDA unit, laptop unit, or what? The LIVE scanner upgrade was needed for the real-time? What did this change to allow for real-time? Thanks. Website would also be appreciated.

www.autoxray.com
no it doesnt calculate 1/4miles times, or accel, its a handheld unit with a interactive display. My model is upgradeable (flash) and for $250 i could have had a better handheld with bigger display. oh well. instead i use my 2 lines display.

just some codes, like activating it. its "built" in but you have to enter a buncha codes. Kinda like windows activation.

Here is a reply from AutoEnginuity regarding OBDII refresh time:

To understand this issue you must know that OBDII works in tenths of
seconds. You see, OBDII requires a 100ms delay between commands. That means
it's capable of 20Hz in one direction or 10Hz bi-directionally. Since it is
a command-response protocol--it's 10 Hz. GM and Ford ECMs are capable of
this easily. In fact, GM has a 4x mode which allows for 40Hz in extremely
specific instances. ISO vehicles typically see between 2 - 8Hz depending on
bus activity. The reason for the packet delay is because their ECMs are
actually slower. A delay WILL happen at a minimum of 100ms no matter what
between the first request for a sensor sampling and the response. Typically
it can be 200ms--worst case. GM and Ford have ways around this. However,
Ford and other manufacturers, do put a lower priority on diagnostic
interfaces during WOT. That means a mash of the pedal will cease
communications until the ECM catchs up with its fuel management. You have to
understand ALL products against these limits. We can mitigate them using
HeartBeats and FastModes; which we specifically support. But there is no
such thing as real-time and OBDII. There will be a minimum of the 100ms
packet turn-around.

The serial interfaces on the PDA and the copper the signal travels on are
beyond negligible in regards to impact. The OS on the other hand is
definitely a factor. We wrote our product in straight C. Our product has
extremely little binary runtime impact. If your product was to use Dot.Net
or VB, it would significantly be impacted by runtime libraries and such. The
more in the way of process, the longer the delay. We know that the PDAs
don't have the computing resources that laptops have and chose NOT to use
slower languages to aggravate the already impacted situation.

I have the Auto Enginuity and I like it.

As "live" as it can get and its pretty neat!

I've used the AutoTap and liked it. Currently, the OBDII scanner I own is from Alex Peper at www.obd-2.com. With the AutoTap you can choose which parameters to read. On the Alex Peper tool, you can't. So if you go into Enchanced mode, the refresh rate can get very slow, since it is reviewing so many different paramenters.

StuttersC said:
I have the Auto Enginuity and I like it.

As "live" as it can get and its pretty neat!

Are you running this with a laptop, or PDA? In the email I recieved from AutoEnginuity, they described PDA's as not being able to operate as fast due to minimal processor. The lag time still seemed very minimal.

I like the options and features AutoEnginuity's kit comes with. And a great price.

The ProScan has a great graphic that actually has the yellow and green lights as if you were on a track running a 1/4 mile. I really thought that was a great feature. The website is horrible, and seems unprofessional. Support is usually the same way. It doesn't even let you know where you can purchase it!

StuttersC, does your software have the lights I mentioned above when running 1/4 mile tests? Just curious.

CasopoliS said:
Are you running this with a laptop, or PDA? In the email I recieved from AutoEnginuity, they described PDA's as not being able to operate as fast due to minimal processor. The lag time still seemed very minimal.

I like the options and features AutoEnginuity's kit comes with. And a great price.

The ProScan has a great graphic that actually has the yellow and green lights as if you were on a track running a 1/4 mile. I really thought that was a great feature. The website is horrible, and seems unprofessional. Support is usually the same way. It doesn't even let you know where you can purchase it!

StuttersC, does your software have the lights I mentioned above when running 1/4 mile tests? Just curious.
I run it on a lap top as I got one for very cheap (aka free from my dad). I like it. There is some lag every now and again I think as everything re-sinks through the port. But other than that I like it.

I haven't had a chance to run the 1/4 and stuff like that. I'm still messing with the parameters and I keep forgetting to sit and put them all in and go do some runs.

Dexter said:
Gonna have to write my own s*** in strizaightup C.

I actually thought about the interface, and how hard it would be to obtain and decipher the data. The code would just suck to write....but its where the money's at. I know I would pay for it.

i have nology. it's nice, i've scanned and cleared CEls for many people, so i feel it's worth it. doesn't work on the MZ6 though

wish i knew to program in palm, i'd love to add items to the prog( ACC, HZ-RPM, M/s-MPH )

Back