replacing power steering pump.. need help

PaulMP3

Contributor
:
Turbo MP3 #222, 00 Silverado Z71
I was driving down the rt.89 today when i hear a whinning/screaming sound. It stopped after 30 secs then i smelt it. Soon after steering got tough at slow speeds. I pop the hood, and when i try and turn the wheel fluid flys out from the bearing
frown.gif

I need some help of someone who has removed/replaced the pump before.

my 1st option, find a used low mileage pump (new is almost 500$) and replace it, assuming i can do it myself with basic hand tools. (i have my tool box) i no longer have the luxury of working in a garage so i need to do this in my dorm parking lot:( I havent looked to closely at it, but the hoses might be an issue, or do they bolt in?

2nd option.. remove pump altogether.. i would rather not do this, but it would get me through till i find a good price on a used pump. Where would i get a smaller belt if it is removed. What do you do with the piping/hoses if removed? This option would just be temporary.

How safe is the car to drive now? the fluid level isnt low yet, but my side of my engine and belts have oil from the pump on them. when turning the wheel at slow speed it shoots oil out pretty bad, during normal condition it isnt spraying out, just when stressed.

Also if anyone had a spare they want to part with, i would appreciate it.

thanks for the help.

Also is anyone aware if the mp3 powersteering pump is the same as the protege? I know the steering rack is different, any chance the pump is different?

Good point. I would ASSume the pump would be the same though. I have no idea how to change it though.

weight reduction...remember i rarely drive the p5 anyhow, don't need PS, took all the AC components out also...car weighs nothing =)

just bought one from a local auto recycling place 85$ and only has 35,000 miles on it.

I might attempt the install this weekend, but the place where i bought it will install it, and bleed the system for 1.3hrs@60$/hr. they cant fit me in till weds, but i think im gonna wait till then. The whole problem should be solved for under 200$.

Any thoughts why it failed so soon (55,000 miles)?
Could the lack of a coolant loop be responsible? Since i rarely beat on the car anymore, and the weather is cold already here, i cant see that being the issue.

Where was the leak? Was it at the top metal line going into the pump? I had a leak there on my msp at early mileage and the dealer had to replace the o-ring seal

mp5jeff said:
weight reduction...remember i rarely drive the p5 anyhow, don't need PS, took all the AC components out also...car weighs nothing =)
How much combined weight were the components? How bad does it suck driving w/o PS?

PaulMP3 said:
Any thoughts why it failed so soon (55,000 miles)?
Could the lack of a coolant loop be responsible? Since i rarely beat on the car anymore, and the weather is cold already here, i cant see that being the issue.
Ahh, good point. I'm sure not having the loop in there accelerated wear. They wouldn't put it there for nothing.

all the ac/PS s*** weighed alot, probably almost 80lbs if i had to guess, its all in a big container =), its not hard to drive unless you are really weak...from a dead stop is the only time it makes a difference, once you are going like 5mph its easy.

dont forget the entire interior of the car gone, so id say the weight distribution is the same or close to it, even though i don't really care lol

hey paulmp3 my sis car has about 65000 miles n her pump failed but she still drove it for like another 1000 miles till she wrecked it(wasnt the pumps fault n shes fine) but it was completly messed up that u couldnt drive with it jsut ozzed power steering fluid out little by little but not mroe than a inch in 2 weeks so it was ok i guess but hers faild about 65000

CustomMSP said:
Where was the leak? Was it at the top metal line going into the pump? I had a leak there on my msp at early mileage and the dealer had to replace the o-ring seal
its sprays out the bearing when turning the wheel when the car is not or barely moving. It seems fine when driving normal, i just need to be careful turning at slow speeds.

The Min and MAx line on the steering fluid reservoir is a really small amount. When i checked it today, i was on MIN, it didnt take more then an ounce to fill. I drove about 20miles today to go get a new pump, and it wasnt at the MIN mark when i got back. The thing that worries me is when it does spray, it goes all over the belts.

AznXstazy said:
hey paulmp3 my sis car has about 65000 miles n her pump failed but she still drove it for like another 1000 miles till she wrecked it(wasnt the pumps fault n shes fine) but it was completly messed up that u couldnt drive with it jsut ozzed power steering fluid out little by little but not mroe than a inch in 2 weeks so it was ok i guess but hers faild about 65000
after driving today i realized it doesnt leak much or any during normal driving. When i was testing with the hood open standing still it really spray b/c all the stress the pump is under.

Back