Big Brake Upgrade

:
2001 323 Astina SP20 (P5)
Hi All,

well i should hopefully be getting my car back from the brake shop shortly after a bit of front brake massage.

i'm getting 2 peice rotors, 295mm x 25mm and i have series 5 rx7 4 pot calipers.

here's a pic (kinda dodgy looking) :

front%20brakes%20FD%20caliper.jpg

in the picture they are actually series 6 rotors, however the brake people decided to make the custom rotor hat a little too thin so the clearance behind the wheel was a little tight so they ground some of the caliper off. if you look carefully on the caliper you'll see a ring. well - that's where the brake fluid lines are. they ground too far off and when the applied the brake to check it's feel, POP! atleast the brake fluid went all over the car beside mine and not on my car (hehehehehe)

anyway, they are giving me the series 5 calipers for free.

will post better pictures when i get my car back (hopefully before the weekend). and i have to say, going from 258mm to 295mm rotors - man they look HUGE! and behind the stock wheel it looks even better!

take 2 - with series 5 rotors this time :

brakes1.jpg

brakes2.jpg

brakes3.jpg

brakes4.jpg

brakes5.jpg

man this thing stops! no even getting close to the abs kicking in and it stops noticable quicker than stock! very impressed :D

a bit too much - the front rotors only were about $2300 aussie. when i add in rear rotors, stainless clutch line and a few other little bits $3000 aussie

here's a better pic of the whole car :

brakes.jpg

So they fit with the stock wheels I see. What modifications were necessary. Since you have larger rotors there's an adapter plate back there, right?

did you have to get longer brake lines? or were they different fittings? I ask because I already have SS brake lines.

Do the Series 5 calipers bolt right on? When I asked about this before, you said that the calipers had to be widened w/ spacers. Is that so it could reach around the rotor?

I think pictures of the modification would definately be helpful.

Thanx!!

the calipers are bolted up to the stock mounting points with the stock mounting points tapped, so kind of a straight bolt on, but not really.

calipers need to be spaced so the rotor fits within the caliper

Back