Motor Mount Question

:
2002 P5, 1978 F250
Does anyone know if the motor mount on the passenger side of the car is filled with oil? I have a fluid that leaked in that general area and theres a crack on the MM. I want to be sure its not the power steering fluid causing this before I put the car back together.

The motor mount is rubber only. You are leaking fluid from something in that area.

I'd replace the motor mount there with the one from the MSP...It is made from a harder rubber and will stand up better to the movement of the motor.

I replaced mine when it tore with the MSP one.

Sure about it? I know not many people have messed with the side mounts but I see no other place for the fluid to have come from. The PS fluid is full, and the MM is cracked and there is a black liquid in that area that has stained the paint.

ELEmental59437 said:
Sure about it? I know not many people have messed with the side mounts but I see no other place for the fluid to have come from. The PS fluid is full, and the MM is cracked and there is a black liquid in that area that has stained the paint.
I'm sure. My mount was completely dry. Still flexible, and ripped all the way through. No fluid is in the motor mount.

Damn, I am getting that side of the engine bay repainted and I would hate for it to leak again...

As for the motor mount, the engine doesnt move any more than it used to, I wouldn't even know the mount was torn if I didnt see it when I was taking the PS fluid tank out.

StuttersC said:
I'm sure. My mount was completely dry. Still flexible, and ripped all the way through.
Mine isn't ripped in the spot you would imagine it to be (thin part where it meets the metal circle. Its ripped kinda longways across that. Whatever the fluid is looks like it splattered out of that very area. The power steeting fluid would have dripped directly down IMO.

Could it be A/C lines stuff?

I'm trying to thing what all hangs out in that area...

okay....last time....it's not filled with fluid.

If it somehow got melted and splattered?

P/s fluid hit the belt and splattered?

Oil leak (crank seal?) hit the belt and splattered?

I assure you it isn't filled with oil.

The condensor was leaking (had a hole punched through it) but I dont see why it would leak from there. The power steering works just fine and I drove the car around for quite a bit after the wreck.

The stain in the paint is a dark brown/black color. Before it soaked in it was a watery liquid (not think and oily) but that may have been from it mixing with water.

BlkZoomZoom said:
okay....last time....it's not filled with fluid.
I am not trying to hold on to the idea that it is filled with a fluid. But it's not like its very uncommon though - certain Honda MM's are fluid filled along with many other makes.

I am trying to brainstorm to see what else it could be - I need to solve the problem before it leaks onto the same areas that will be painted very soon.

Last edited:
If you think the position the hole in the condenser was in could get fluid to the area the stain is in, then its possible. A/C systems have refr. oil and sometimes dye...which has a brownish./green tint after being used. That would also explain the watery consistancy (condensation formed from refr. leaking).

Elemental, that one IS filled with fluid! Back when my mp3 was in the wreck that ended her life. That mount got broke, and it IS filled with fluid. I saw it first hand.

not trying to step on your toes blkzoomzoom, I've just seen mine broken open with fluid from it splattered on the firewall and fluid still sitting inside it.

lamp3 said:
Elemental, that one IS filled with fluid! Back when my mp3 was in the wreck that ended her life. That mount got broke, and it IS filled with fluid. I saw it first hand.
KICKASS (in one way)... what color and what consistency?

BlkZoomZoom- thanks for the tips, I just asked my dad about the freon color (he is and A/C installer)

I got pwn3d. lol

I was baseing my opinion on the fact I have never seen Mazda use a liquid filled mount.....I'm gonna have to break one tommorow just to see for myself.

LOL. breaking s*** is cool =) ...I do however wonder if the msp mount is solid. Might be the reason its stiffer.

BlkZoomZoom said:
I got pwn3d. lol

I was baseing my opinion on the fact I have never seen Mazda use a liquid filled mount.....I'm gonna have to break one tommorow just to see for myself.
Meh, not the hardes pwnage. You weren't all suicidal about it like I have seen some people on here get. "I swear on my life as I hover a blade over my wrist that I am right!!"

Why dont you just send me your mount and I can send you my broken one. (I will do this for free even!) It doesnt "act" any differently. I didn't even notice a difference in the way the car felt with it broken.

Back