banging sport's exhaust@_@

Glauconite

:
323f ;)
dunno if this question came up b4... but couldn't find any that was close to what i want... n sorry if the Q already came up... i'm bad @ searchin...

wellz.. i was rear ended 2 weeks ago... just got my car back from shop today... i had them put on the sport exhaust.. b/c i only have to pay the 100$ difference.. that's like a huge discount.. hehe^^ good thing no other damage...

yea... so now whenever i start the car up, i hear bangin noices... then nothin more.... the muffler is a bit wobbly... i think all mufflers do... but b/c the clearance between the tip of the muffler n the bumper was so close it bangs a bit when the engine rocks...

so my Q is this normal?? fine/bad?? i asked the shop n they said it's the same w/ others who have it on....it's not annoyin or anything... but just a thought..

thankz in advance~~

gary

wow...i'm in the exact same situation...i got rear ended a couple of weeks ago...my car is in the shop now and i told them to put on the sport exhaust...i should be getting my car later this week..i'll tell you then how it is...

I would say NO, its NOT normal....I have the bosal cat back on my p-5...its within 1/4 inch if the bumper...and it does NOT hit the bumper when I crank up the car.....if you are talking about the regular sport exhaust from Mazda...the tip is not nearly as close to the bumper, or shouldn't be...as mine....seems to me that it may be hitting something else.....either way...it should NOT be hitting anything when you start the car.

Sir Nuke said:
I would say NO, its NOT normal....I have the bosal cat back on my p-5...its within 1/4 inch if the bumper...and it does NOT hit the bumper when I crank up the car.....if you are talking about the regular sport exhaust from Mazda...the tip is not nearly as close to the bumper, or shouldn't be...as mine....seems to me that it may be hitting something else.....either way...it should NOT be hitting anything when you start the car.

What he said!!, except i chose the racing beat exhaust. This is definately not normal and you should go to a place that knows what they are doing.

wellz.... didnt think it was bad til i got to actually drive it over bumpy roads.... it's just plain annoyin now... so yea.. i'll go check it out tmr or somethin...

n thx for the info

Glauconite said:
dunno if this question came up b4... but couldn't find any that was close to what i want... n sorry if the Q already came up... i'm bad @ searchin...

wellz.. i was rear ended 2 weeks ago... just got my car back from shop today... i had them put on the sport exhaust.. b/c i only have to pay the 100$ difference.. that's like a huge discount.. hehe^^ good thing no other damage...

yea... so now whenever i start the car up, i hear bangin noices... then nothin more.... the muffler is a bit wobbly... i think all mufflers do... but b/c the clearance between the tip of the muffler n the bumper was so close it bangs a bit when the engine rocks...

so my Q is this normal?? fine/bad?? i asked the shop n they said it's the same w/ others who have it on....it's not annoyin or anything... but just a thought..

thankz in advance~~

gary

talk to kartboy about some harder substance muffler hangers, your muffler hangers are too soft for the kind of clearence you are getting - he should have something that wont allow so much movement. the hangers btw are the rubber supports that the muffler...well..hangs off of.

i've talked to the dealer... now they say they can only bend the hanger so it'll tip down a bit so it wouldnt come into contact w/ the bumper....

wise idea???

gary

I agree with equinox. See about a stiffer rubber for your hangers. Probably can find this at just about any muffler shop.

Glauconite, where did you get your car fixed? Dealer? my car was rear ended too, i bring it to the dealer, but they said to me that the sport exhaust will cost $250!!

well i'm in (canada) the collision is not my fault... so icbc pays for the damage done... i had a oem muffler... supposed they replace that for me... but i want to change to sports... n the difference in price is about 100+tax.... so yea... that's y i'm payin the difference

umm... but i'm not sure how it's done in the states....

yeah...when i got rear ended my muffler was toast...i asked my dealer if i could just get the sports muffler when they replace it...he said as long as the price difference isn't too much then everything is cool...i'm sure that a oem muffler and the sports muffler aren't that big of a difference in price

hey guys

were actually looking into making the hangman hangers for the Mazdas. marks out of town till late next week. once he gets back he'll draw them up and send them off to the Urethane shop.
i know our Racecar will need some too :)

thanks
tom

<font color="#000080" size=3>Any date set when they might be available Tom??</font> (hmm)

My exhaust did the same thing but is was not where the muffler touches the bumper where to noise was coming from. Instead some where under the car where the exhaust pipe makes it first bend upward it was hitting on the frame when I started the car up. Of course I took it back to where I got it from and (of course they gave me heck) they final bended the hangers so the prob was solved. Good Luck.

Josh

got the car back to the shop this morning... the mechanic said all he did was bend the hanger on the muffler so it'll tip downwards a bit... now it sounds better, nomore of that annoying hittin... but dunno til i really test it out after work tonite...

and another thing... there seems enough clearance between them but i feel a very tiny slight shake inside the car... i'm not sure if it's normal or is the shakin of the muffler that makes the car shake??? the shake is very minimal n not anoying.. but just wanna know... maybe the hangman hangers will stabilize it more?? or something???

thxthx

gary

well the harder hangers would probabaly let you feel the shaking more of your exhaust. Seeing as they would transfer more vibrations to the chassis - but your muffler would move less. it's a trade off.

Back