Rear brake pads wore out before front!

crazybassmp5

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
Just wondering if anyone else has had the rear brake pads wear before the front ones? I have 55k miles on it and all the pads are the originals, but when the shop told me that the rear ones have 10% left and the front have 45% left I kinda thought that was odd?! (freak) I've done some mountain driving quite a few times and some hard braking but I've always figured the front go first. I've already had them replaced and just recently had the front calipers replaced because one side of one caliper was always pushing the pad against the rotor and wore it the hell out! Anyone have any similar problems with the rear wearing first? Any thoughts on how that happened? (scratch)

There's a TSB out for this. Basically, on some models the rear pads drag a bit. Lemme guess, poor gas mileage too?

Use the parts listed in the TSB, the supposedly the M-clips have been redesigned as with the pad backing. You should be able to find details on the TSB with a simple search.

Yeah, the pads hang up a little bit on the rear. If they are adjusted wrong that also causes them to drag.

yeah, use the TSB. this happened to my sister last two summers ago with 25k on her car. they made her pay 360 for new pads and rotors. took advantage of a women who had no clue. the oads went a year later and they did it for free then under the TSB.

i did her fronts in the spring for under $65.00 for pads and rotors. she was impressed........the rears should never wear before the fronts. the front brakes do over 70% of braking under normal braking.

GNO said:
There's a TSB out for this. Basically, on some models the rear pads drag a bit. Lemme guess, poor gas mileage too?

Use the parts listed in the TSB, the supposedly the M-clips have been redesigned as with the pad backing. You should be able to find details on the TSB with a simple search.

Actually my mileage hasn't been terrible, still upper 20's. Tell me what the TSB is please? (shrug)

crazybassmp5 said:
Actually my mileage hasn't been terrible, still upper 20's. Tell me what the TSB is please? (shrug)
a technical problem that numerous cars have that are not safty related but are problems that should get fixed for free under warranty. the EGR valves in the 2.0 L protege's have a TSB due to many problems (1 in 10 have a bad one).

the rusty rotors in 3'rd gen protege's is another plus some others......

Protege52003 said:
a technical problem that numerous cars have that are not safty related but are problems that should get fixed for free under warranty. the EGR valves in the 2.0 L protege's have a TSB due to many problems (1 in 10 have a bad one).

the rusty rotors in 3'rd gen protege's is another plus some others......
Ahh, warranty huh? Don't think I'm still under that anymore with over 55k miles.

crazybassmp5 said:
Ahh, warranty huh? Don't think I'm still under that anymore with over 55k miles.
have you had your fronts done yet???? if not, the rear pads should not wear before the fronts......

Protege52003 said:
have you had your fronts done yet???? if not, the rear pads should not wear before the fronts......
I just had my front pads replaced with the calipers. But the originals still had some life left up front, about 40%.

crazybassmp5 said:
I just had my front pads replaced with the calipers. But the originals still had some life left up front, about 40%.
go b**** to your dealer.....the rears should have lots more pad left if you just got the fronts done.

do you have the old front pads?

Protege52003 said:
go b**** to your dealer.....the rears should have lots more pad left if you just got the fronts done.

do you have the old front pads?
Well, my dealer that the car from is in Minnesota, and I now live in New Mexico, SOOO. I might go talk to the local dealer though.
To clear things up, I had brought it in because I thought the front pads were worn, but it was the rear that were worn out. Mind you, all of these were still original until I brought it in. The front went later when I had to replace the calipers.

.....just take it to the dealer and ask them i guess. it can never hurt. the pads are pretty easy to do in our cars.....would you consider doing them or is that not going to happen?

Need your help in retracting the calipers on rear brakes

I tried to replace the rear brakes for a 2003 protege 5 and was unsuccessful in retracting the caliper on either side. I even disconnected the brake hose to be able to return the caliper so the new brakes would fit but was not able to. I used a cheap c clamp from kraken and it broke, didn't even move the caliper at all. Please help. Firestone is charging $400 for rear and front breaks to be replaced

NO s***! I have the same issue....rear pads are gone first, fronts have about 30% or so left. I only have 15K on my car and do not beat it up at all on the streets. Mileage is about 315miles per tank in the city (average.) I'm glad I'm not losing my mind!

The dealer wanted $119.00 for the rear pads and $109.00 for the fronts. Screw that! I found them cheaper at Performance Buyers Club in Chantilly, VA ($130.00 front and rear, shipped) and was planning on replacing them this weekend.

tony7 said:
I tried to replace the rear brakes for a 2003 protege 5 and was unsuccessful in retracting the caliper on either side. I even disconnected the brake hose to be able to return the caliper so the new brakes would fit but was not able to. I used a cheap c clamp from kraken and it broke, didn't even move the caliper at all. Please help. Firestone is charging $400 for rear and front breaks to be replaced
tony

I believe the rear calipers have a screw to adjust the caliper out when replacing the pads. I think it behind the caliper towards the center of the car.

I hope this helps.

tony7 said:
I have never had this happen when doing brakes. I am sure you are pressing the calipers in the center to reset them. If not, it will be difficult to reset, but not enough to break a clamp.

Thank's for your help

I will try and see, do you mean a screw on the caliper it self. I seen it. Do I just loosened it and then try to use the c clamp or do I take it off? Is that the only suggestion, do I also loosen the bleeder screw? If they don't retract does it mean I have to replace the calipers? The car was out the dealer, brand new. Thank's for all your help.
Tony

Mine Too!

Newbie here. I have a 02. I went to the dealer complaining about a high pitched sound from one of my rear wheels and a slight groove on the rotor. After their inspection, the claimed that I had 20-30% left on my front brakes and 15-25% left on my rears! And this was after 40k!! They wanted to change the brakes right there. I said I'll wait until my next oil change. Next oil change, they said the same thing after I complained about the continuing noise. On my third visit they finally broke down and machined the rotor and changed the brakes. All under warranty. I guess persistence paid off. My advise, don't fall for their suggestions right away.

Thank's for your help

You were right! There is a screw that is hidden by another screw on the back side of the caliper. You need an L wrench to unscrew and the caliper returns by itself. (boom02)

Still getting a screech after all brakes have been done!

I took my car back after I had new calipers w/new pads up front and new pads in rear, but brakes are still squealing!! Took it back and they blew it out and checked every thing, but it started to squeal again, sounds like its coming from the rear brakes. Anything I should check for? Not sure about this place for brakes, great for tires though.

Back