Protege5 replacement tires

Dunlop FM 901's in stock size.

Great in the dry and fantastic in the rain. Only problem? Treadwear rating of 200.

They are summer only.

Well that's not gonna help him much, is it jackson. Especially considering its already almost november

Man, those Pirrellis have better dry grip than the ES 100's, better tread rating, and they cost like $1 more. That's nuts.

I'm in the market for new tires too, checked out those PZero's, but noticed they don't make a 195/50/16.

i'm not too up on my tires, but will this cause any problems on the stock rims as far as the speedometer and such, or even fitting if I go with the 205/50/16s?

No. Your speedo readin will be like 1 mph off at 100 or somethin like that, but nothing noticable. I had 205's on my car and I'm going to put 215's on soon, and they have never been a problem.

Suliman said:
How do those pirelli's handle in the snow compared to the OE dunlops?
Damn near anything handles better than those dunlops in damn near any condition. They're better. Trust me. I have those pieces of s*** on my car now. It's really scary after having even my bald-ass es 100's on, cause the no-tread yoko's handled twice as well as the nearly full tread dunlops do.

I've heard that the P-Zero Nero's are an all season tire with a summer slant. So for light snow they're probably fine, but anything more and I would look elsewhere.

I'm putting snowies on my P5 this winter and will run the Zero Nero's in Spring. Of course, up here snowies are almost required. A good all-season will get you through it if you drive with caution, but I have a two-year-old to drive around so I want the best traction possible.

I have just put on my second set of Yoko's AVS ES 100's, 205/45/16.
I really like them. Pretty sad that I am on my 3rd set of tires since I bought the car in Feb of '03.

But give the Yoke's a try.

Guys, he lives in a place where it snows. Ultra-high performance summer tires are not gonna work for him.

We all know how kickass the ES 100's are, but he needs suggestions for tires that will work in winter.

I've got the ASX's on my 17's. Great tire for the 3 seasons I've had them. they don't like autocross though, I destroyed them in 4 autocrosses. They are quiet, ride great, handle good, and are incredible in the rain.

Antenna.jpg

I drive in the snow with my Yoke's and they do just fine. The above picture is my antenna with only about 6 inches of snow. My only problem with winter driving in the snow is my lowered springs and lack of fender gap. It gets so packed with snow & ice.

anarchistchiken said:
Guys, he lives in a place where it snows. Ultra-high performance summer tires are not gonna work for him.

We all know how kickass the ES 100's are, but he needs suggestions for tires that will work in winter.

My son ----- bless his little heart has gone through 3 sets of 195/50/16 on his 2002 P5. Now he is away at school in Asheville NC and needs tires again! Snow will not be as bad as NJ but much more than coastal NC. What kind of wear will he get from the P Zero Nero and after reading the thread it seems like the 205/50/16's will be ok? I was looking at the Dunlops but the noise and Mountain winter have steered me away.
Any other info will be appreciated.

The main reason I suggested the pirelli's was because of the ratings. I don't have them, but would like some feedback from anyone who has them. I've got winter tires to get me by, but my 712's are about shot and will need to be replaced in the spring. I will be ordering the Pirelli's. I'm just worried about treadwear. I put on a lot of miles, and auto-x, but I think these tires(according to their ratings) should be pretty good.

Well, I don't have PZero Nero M+S yet, but will be buying them in the spring strictly based on Tire Rack's test data. They have a 400 treadwear rating compared to a 360 for the stock Dunlops. The treadwear rating doesn't mean jack when comparing tires from different manufacturers, but I would think the Pirellis will last longer, especially if he's diligent about rotating them.

I base that on the knowledge that OEM tires are often softer than their aftermarket replacements -- even the exact same tire. I don't drive very aggressively and my stock Dunlops are down to 3/32's of tread left at 12,000 miles. You should get 20-30k out of them! And that tread depth is across the entire tire, so I haven't worn the shoulders down faster.

Pirelli makes good tires, and the Nero M+S is highly rated. Go with the 205/50 size and he'll be fine.

Back