Are my rotors warped?

M=SP^2

:
Laser Blue Mazdaspeed Protege
Hey guys, I'm sure this will come accross as a noob question but I am getting lots of noise when I'm breaking from what seems be the front brakes. Is this what happens when your rotors are warped? What does "warped rotors" mean anyway? Please excuse my utter lack of mechanical knowledge.

Last edited:
warped rotors are caused by such high and hard braking that it heats the rotor and warps it.
Warped rotors- go 70mph and brake hard. if your car pulses or feels like crap, you have warped rotors.

you also could need new brake pads. Noise occurs when you need new pads because a change in material when you get low.

front warped-pulse in sterring wheel under hard breaking

rear warped-pulse felt in whole car under hard breaking

squell- replace pads.when your pads get low a metal strip contacts the rotor,and screams at you to let you know"relace me soon"

I have 21,000 miles on my car, isn't that a bit early for the break pads to wear down...I mean I don't drive like a complete maniac or anything. Also, thanks for the informative replies.

M=SP^2 said:
Hey guys, I'm sure this will come accross as a noob question but I am getting lots of noise when I'm breaking from what seems be the front breaks.
sounds exactly what i had.
and it's more like grinding.
it's NOT because the pads a worn, i had 60% of life on mine.
it's your rotors that are gone.

get some aftermarket ones, u wont regret it.

we'll i have 3 sets left of the cross drilled and slotted replacement ones for $299 and pads are $75

Attachments

• protege-shop 031.jpg
    protege-shop 031.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 208
  • protege-shop 030.jpg
    protege-shop 030.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 198
Almost 50,000 miles here and the brakes are a-ok.

Lots of driving and lots of downshifting :)

My front rotors are warped all to hell. I'm just going to get some nice new slotted rotors and new pads in the spring.

I have a pair of rear rotors, same ones as the pic above from that groupbuy (i bought em a week before the groupbuy, but same ones). I bought em, replaced the front ones, never had time for the rear, and ended up trading in my car last night :eek: Will sell em cheap if anyone wants just the rears.

M=SP^2 said:
FC3s....if you set up a group buy, I'd be interested.
i don't bother with group buys i have 3 sets left and they go for $299 fro the rotors adn $75 for the pads (f and r)

Those don't look any different than the rotorworks, and yet you want $50 more for rotors and pads? Oh wait..."powerslots" cut the grooves, ok.

mspdfreak said:
Those don't look any different than the rotorworks, and yet you want $50 more for rotors and pads? Oh wait..."powerslots" cut the grooves, ok.
since you brought it up , we use the premium rotors not the cheap chinese ones and we have them drilled and slotted by the pro's, they are cryod treated as well, we see in a few months when the cheaper rotors start cracking. I own a protege and take it out on the track and need good brakes not a set that just looks good on there-

Back