Fuel pump upgrade for use with turbo?

biknman

:
99 1.6T Protege
Wondering if any body out there knows of a higher pressure fuel pump that will work in a Pro? Running my fuel pressure up to 80 psi has did my fuel pump in burned it up. I replaced it with the same one from the junk yard put was wondering if one say for use with an RX7 turbo might work in the Pro. According to one of the manufacture of pumps a 90-93 Miata, eraly model 323 and all the 1.8 and 1.6 Pros use the same pump.
Thanks in advance.

I used an inline universal fuel pump. Vortech and msd makes them. Almost a year boosted and I have a zero problems with it.

Haha another reason why I'm glad Spoolin boosted before I do, I'm not the kind of guy who likes to write the technical supposrt manual, I'm the one who calls because I can't read it.

Holley supposedly makes a pump that will work with the car as well...can I do a backup pump / secondary pump or just straight out replace the exisiting one, Spoolin?

Holley supposedly makes a pump that will work with the car as well...can I do a backup pump / secondary pump or just straight out replace the exisiting one, Spoolin?
No, I would not replace the existing pump since that will be more of a pain in the arse. The above mentioned pumps...MSD, Vortech and probably Holley are inline pumps. They mount before your primary intank pump and act as a vacum sucking fuel from the intank primary pump thus boosting it.

Simplified explanation.
Kinda like you are blowing air thru a big hose or straw and I am on the other side sucking, subsequently you do not have to blow as hard since I am helping out by sucking.............damn thats nasty(pukey)

Thanks for info, albeit disgusting as it was helpful. how easy are we talking install wise? removing the back seat and finding a spot near the exisiting pump? where would you suggest it go?

Spoolin is right, the inline pump is the way to go when you need to run high pressures. An rx7 pump(3rd gen) will flow enough fuel for 400hp but not at 80+ psi of fuel pressure. Even the walbro intank pumps start to run out of flow at high pressures.

By the way, the holley, msd, vortech inline pumps are walbro pumps. The best inline pump I've used is the bosch. You can buy a stock fuel pump for the 86 to 88 Volkswagon 16v Scirocco for about $140. You will have to retap the inlet to work with a barb fitting (stock uses a bango bolt). Or you can buy the same pump for $40 more that has the fittings already in it at http://www.precisionte.com/ , then click on buick fuel pumps, and it is the bosch 204 pump. I have seen that pump on a turbocharged volkswagon vr6 (used in conjuction with the stock pump in tank) make over 450 whp at 25psi of boost. But the walbros would work too.

Jeff

Back