Does anyone know how to remove the rear view mirror?

twizyours

I was just wondering how to remove the rear view mirror. I am going to put on my old 89 probe GT mirror on. Lines up perfectly with are uper window contour, looks like it was meant for it sits higher and when I get the auto dimming mirror in the future no wires showing . Any help appreciated.

The mirror is glued to the glass. I have seen techs remove them with a razor blade.

Thanks , do they just scrape around it and how long does it take them to usually do it. So I know how long I should be I guess scraping at it for.

the mirror itself is NOT glued to the windshield....and the metal shoe that it attaches to is specially bonded to the glass....in fact if you go out and get a new windshield for a newer pro....the shoe for the rearview mirror comes on it already..

to remove the mirror from its mounting shoe there is a little special tool that fits in a slot on the front of the bast that releases a little clip and the mirror slides off towards the back of the car.

I used a little tiny screw driver that i bent the shaft on to make it so that the handle wouldn't hit the glass...but it was not easy.

IF I WERE YOU....what I would do is remove the stock mirror off its mounting shoe...then see if the probe mirror fit on the stock mount....if not...well good luck getting it off without busting your windshield......its not as easy as SCRAPING around it, that is why they come bonded to the glass from the glass makers now.

Thanks Sir Nuke, I think that info was very beneficial because I now have insight on getting the mirror off. When I get the mirror of the mounting shoe , I can then can take my time to get the stock mount off. I am not just replacing it with the probe mirror but the hole mirror console. On 89 GT,s they have a hole console that attaches to the ceiling never attached to the window, looks perfect when slid on. Had tried taking it of like 2 months ago was being really carefull but still I made a hairline fracture about a inch. Not bad cant feel it on either side and doesnt leak I did checks a never had a leak even when it rains. It is really small, I will cover it up with a vinyl strip since I wanted one anyway, since it is not leaking and when I cover it up it wont be noticible I dont see a reason to replace the window. I had replace a sable mirror a few years ago and remembered it was glued on but didnt remember the hole procedure. Wish I would have had asked earlier cause then with my window would have been perfect still, but that is part of learning. Sorry for the long post but thanks, I now know what I am looking for and feel I will get it off.

Freakin simple. After responding I went out with tree tools a skinny 2 inch flat head screwdriver, a skinny broken circular chissel (very skinny), and a coat hanger, I figured one tool would work. Started withe the broken of piece of chissel, no sucess. Took a second and a half to realize it wouldnt work. Then took the small flat head screwdriver, boo yah came rite off. took about 2 seconds this is the mirror of course not the metal shoe but now I can put in the probe mirrorin and take my time getting the shoe off. I saw the little square like opening in the mirror to slide in the tool, so I knew what I was looking. Well thanks again sir nuke wish I would have asked sooner.

Latest posts

Back