high revs on start up

romand

:
02 Protege5
Hey,

Lately, in the morning the car will rev at 1500 rpm for 2-3 minutes right after start up, the tach needle with slowly descent down to 800 after that. I live in Boston so it has been in the 40's at night but I wonder if this is unrelated.

When I rev the engine right after starting (within the aforementioned 2-3 min) there is seems to be some bottom end noise. This is doesn't sound good, almost like knock/ pre- ignition.

Has anyone encountered this?

Roman
02 p5
45k miles
Boston, MA

Same thing happens to my protege even when its 75 outside.

mp5jeff said:
called, cold starts...don't worry, its to heat the engine up to operating temps faster

Excellent. Do you guys usually drive or wait during "cold start" period?

Before this I worked and owned Saab 9000 turbos, in those cars, a steady idle is a dream (almost never achieved)

TIA

Roman

I don't boost while its warming up :) Just be easy on it and its fine to drive.

mx3ownzj00 said:
I don't boost while its warming up :) Just be easy on it and its fine to drive.

Ok, I guess I've been doing the same - Taking it easy while its warming up (as with any car).

Slightly unrelated question, (sorry in the same post) Do you guys find that after a really long time on the highway (more than 2-3 hours) when coming to a stop the car will have a slight "searching" idle, oscillating between 600-850 rpm? This has happened a few time to me and it goes away pretty fast after a minute but does seem to remain longer if I've been driving longer.

Roman

like mp5jeff said tha car is reving higher because of emmisions. the engine wants to get the cats heated up as quick as posible so they can do their job. it is not advisable to rev the engine right after you start due to lack of oil circulation. just drive at a moderate speed...meaning dont rev the piss out of the engine. i wont rev my engine until the temp needle is at normal temp.

yeah

cold start, thats the another reson to buy thoes remote starts it alows the oil in the engine to warm up to operating temp (correct viscosity in colder climates). kinda like the same for me but backwards.. i bought a turbo temp moniter to shut my turbo deseil down a few minites after i take the key out so the oil in the turbo is cooled down enogh so the oil wont harm the turbo lines also since my deseil has 15 quarts of oil in it it takes a lot longer for the truck to warm up ao it sits at high idel longer now that its but ass cold (notcool)

I usually wait for RPM's to die down below 1500 before I start driving it as a general rule. In winter, that gives me enough time to go out and scrape off the car. Otherwise, it gives me enough time to wish I had a remote starter.

LZ
Z

romand said:
Hey,

Lately, in the morning the car will rev at 1500 rpm for 2-3 minutes right after start up, the tach needle with slowly descent down to 800 after that. I live in Boston so it has been in the 40's at night but I wonder if this is unrelated.

When I rev the engine right after starting (within the aforementioned 2-3 min) there is seems to be some bottom end noise. This is doesn't sound good, almost like knock/ pre- ignition.

Has anyone encountered this?

Roman
02 p5
45k miles
Boston, MA
Hey roman,
the high revving is normal. The rattling with a cold engine is the VTCS doing it's work (Variable tumble control system) for emissions purposes. If you don't like that rattle you get when you rev at around 3000rpm with cold engine, there is a TSB that fixes that - they reprogram your ecu and might replace your VTCS valve. Here is the link to it:
http://web2.airmail.net/theman/protegefaq/tsb/01-004-03.html

I got it done a while ago and haven't heard that rattle since - but of course I still go easy on a cold engine.

You're in boston, I see - there is a big NEPOC (New England Protege Owners Club) meet coming up this weekend in Westfield, MA - check here for details and to put your name on the list:
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81104

There are some people coming from that area and will be driving down together, you guys should hook up.

Doug

I think my 2003 p5 has the cold start problem, but my VIN isn't in

"03 Protege / 03 Protege5

From VIN JM1BJ2***3*100001 to JM1BJ2***3*143365, go to STEP 4 "

I have like 152483 .. so can it be something else ?

I see dead people...haha....this thread was almost a year old before being resurected.

Back