Flickering A/c Switch

BOOSTR

1 OWNR MSP
Anybody else have a situation where the a/c light flickers when the fan is in the 2 position? It does not happen all of the time. I have had it happen both while driving a long while and at start up. The A/C is otherwise fine.

My dealer is too far away and I do not want to take my mods off of the car to pay them a visit. Thanks.

Get it replaced by the dealership while it is under warranty. The same thing happened to me and then the AC went out. They had to replace the entire AC module. What sucks is that they put an LX or DX control unit in mine and now I have orange gauge lights and green AC lights. :( I don't know if they will switch out as it was done a while back. The thing would have costed me around $360 so do it before the warranty expires!!!!

Yep only when AC is on. Thanks for the link and responses.

PS that link does not reference the MSP. Since its only happening in the 2nd position, it states its a logic error. Whatever that means. I still have plenty of warranty left.

Last edited:
Mine did that, too. When the light was off the AC went warm as well.... noticed it happened more at highway speeds. Fixed under warranty... light still cuts out between 1 & 2, but the AC stays on when the switch is all the way in the second. Lights are the same color as before. I think they replaced a resistor... so yah

I have found that pushing/pulling on the dial while screaming, "What the ****, stupid MSP" works well to temporarily solve the problem.

mine did that when i had the ac still in, only on the 2 button would it flicker on and off, always wondered why, oh well i don't have the ac in anymore so who cares =)

hate to bump this old thread....but does anyone know the part number for the control unit? i'm out of warranty..mine just keeps getting worse and worse. first it was only in 2, and it would flicker. then it would flicker in 3 also. then 2 stopped coming on all together, then 3 stopped all together, the 4 started flickering, and barely stays on now. i can only use my a/c in 1. its not so bad now, but in a month or two when it gets warmer...

so.. i can only get this replace if i have waranty? i have no warandy dute to mods but i am having this problem. i thought TSB for even tho you dont have waranty they will till fix it.

I will have to find my bill but I have the numbers

I will try to find my old bill but I have the numbers, I stored on my computer from somewhere.

New Part Numbers:

(DX N LX Green) BL8F-61-190D

(ES Amber) BL8W-61-190F

im gonna go bring my car to the dealership for this problem too...i have mods so i should remove them this weekend...

1338 said:
so.. i can only get this replace if i have waranty? i have no warandy dute to mods but i am having this problem. i thought TSB for even tho you dont have waranty they will till fix it.

Since its s TSB you should be able to get it fixed reguardless of the mods, unless you upgraded your AC controls for more HP :D. This problem happens with all proteges of this year range.

monkeymsp said:
Since its s TSB you should be able to get it fixed reguardless of the mods, unless you upgraded your AC controls for more HP :D. This problem happens with all proteges of this year range.

ok ill go to mazda monday to get this checked out.

mp3wannabe said:
hate to bump this old thread....but does anyone know the part number for the control unit? i'm out of warranty..mine just keeps getting worse and worse. first it was only in 2, and it would flicker. then it would flicker in 3 also. then 2 stopped coming on all together, then 3 stopped all together, the 4 started flickering, and barely stays on now. i can only use my a/c in 1. its not so bad now, but in a month or two when it gets warmer...

hey let me know what happens when you take it to the dealer. my mp3 is havin the same frigin issue and its gettin hella lot down here in houston.

monkeymsp said:

i changed the leds in my a/c controls and disabled the a/c on defrost setting...i should fix that before bringing it in right?...im also getting some tapping noise from the engine bay so i think i should remove all my mods so that they can check that out too...

This just started happening to my A/C as well. My msp is only at 30k miles. would it still be under warrenty even though its 10yrs old or am i pushing it?

Back