Oil Consumption

Mazdamia

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I have been having an oil consumption problem lately. I have about 50400 miles on a 2003 protege5 with zero engine mods.

As an example of consumption, I changed my oil on 9/3/04 and it was down 2.5 quarts. I then brought it to mazda and they said for me to bring it to them for the next change for documentation. Today (10/1/04), 2900 miles later, it was down almost three quarts when they changed it at Mazda. There are no external leaks of any kind and there never have been any.

I have done all my own changes and logged them all in the maintenence book but mazda wants receipts, or other documentation it are to repair this problem under warranty. Is this legal? I don't know how to produce receipts that I don't have so what recourse do I have? Any mazda employees or techs please help. Thanks. Oh yea, Mobil1 5w30 synth. is what I use.

Wow, if you are burning that much oil, you would have a pretty big cloud of smoke behind you all the time... notice anything like that?

Yes, they can ask for documentation and you should always keep your receipts if you do you own changes. Did you put them on credit card by chance? Chances are, even if the dealer did all the changes, Mazda would find some way to void your warranty... Mazda's warranty sucks s***.

Good luck.

Mazdamia said:
I have been having an oil consumption problem lately. I have about 50400 miles on a 2003 protege5 with zero engine mods.

As an example of consumption, I changed my oil on 9/3/04 and it was down 2.5 quarts. I then brought it to mazda and they said for me to bring it to them for the next change for documentation. Today (10/1/04), 2900 miles later, it was down almost three quarts when they changed it at Mazda. There are no external leaks of any kind and there never have been any.

I have done all my own changes and logged them all in the maintenence book but mazda wants receipts, or other documentation it are to repair this problem under warranty. Is this legal? I don't know how to produce receipts that I don't have so what recourse do I have? Any mazda employees or techs please help. Thanks. Oh yea, Mobil1 5w30 synth. is what I use.

my question is, if your oil was down 3 quarts when you brought it to mazda, how the hell were you driving around with 1qt of oil in the oilpan and not hearing a lot of noise?

My engine sounds and to the best of my knowledge is fine. The is absolutely no smoke coming out...not even a puff at startup. Sure, I did pay for the oil usually on a credit/debit card but I always bought it in bulk, 2-3 cases at a time when on sale and with other items.

Per the dealers request I did not add oil during the time between changes so they could see how much it was losing. I brought it in early when it go just too damn low.

no doubt... I'm surprised it was still running. Take no offense when I ask - are you sure you were reading the dipstick correctly? It can be a little tricky with the synthetic if you havn't let the engine sit a while...

KpaBap said:
my question is, if your oil was down 3 quarts when you brought it to mazda, how the hell were you driving around with 1qt of oil in the oilpan and not hearing a lot of noise?

Mazdamia said:
Per the dealers request I did not add oil during the time between changes so they could see how much it was losing. I brought it in early when it go just too damn low.
That is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard! They definitley owe you a motor... I sure hope you got the dipshit's name that told you that. Man...

Yea...I didn't really need to be reading the dipstick when I am draining the oil out and putting it into bottles for disposal during the changes.

Anyway, I read the dipstick correctly.

If you run about 1qt low for a prolonged period of time you're bound to fry a bearing or two. 3qts low and as soon as you start it up you will hear a crazy rap as the rod bearings and the head are now running almost completely dry and grinding themselves into death

if you seriously ran the engine 3qts low for any period of time longer than a minute or two, I'd demand a rebuild

you might not have any problems now, but you WILL very soon.

If the engine is consuming this much oil, shouldn't I be able to see some evidence on the sparkplugs or somewhere else? It really doesn't sound bad that is why I didn't notice it at first.

Well, that is the strange thing about this. If you are not leaking oil anywhere, then you must be burning it - and if you are burning THAT much oil, you are sure as hell going to know it (i.e., smoke, running like crap, noise, etc.).

Mazdamia said:
If the engine is consuming this much oil, shouldn't I be able to see some evidence on the sparkplugs or somewhere else? It really doesn't sound bad that is why I didn't notice it at first.

Mazda's customer service when it comes to warranty issues--> (fu)

sorry to here your problem --- good luck in a solution (headshake

Mine just broke 50K and I used about 1qt inbetween oil changes. 1 qt every thousand would show up on plugs, but I doubt it'd smoke that much with the cats. Most car companies think 1qt/1000miles is OK.

I've been having oil problems with my 2003 P5 as well. Every 2 tanks of gas or so, I need to top it up a quart or more. Mazda changes my oil and has me on an oil consumption report.

Oh, actually my motor only has 20K on it. It was replaced at 30K. s***, this is gonna get bad...

Yeah, I think you are right. Ford seems to think that 1qt/750 miles is ok (braindead. I do remember now that my dad put synthetic oil in our GMC van once (years and years ago) before we went on a beach trip. By the time we arrived at the beach, you could definitely hear the rods knocking. When we pulled over and checked the oil, it didn't even register on the dipstick. This was less than 100 miles of driving! It was a rebuilt 350 and yes, the drain plug was tight (and yeah, we did remember to put an oil filter on) :) Strange thing was, it didn't smoke at all... maybe synthetic oil burns cleaner?

Mike R said:
Mine just broke 50K and I used about 1qt inbetween oil changes. 1 qt every thousand would show up on plugs, but I doubt it'd smoke that much with the cats. Most car companies think 1qt/1000miles is OK.

That's odd.
I mean really odd.

Have you checked for leaks while running hot, and not just cold?

here what i would do.
get some UV additive and put it in your oil, Then get an blacklight and you should be able to easliy fine any leaks. Ive seen this UV additive at semitruck stores for finding leaky turbos. I think it should work also in a car engine.

*shrugs*

Back