Trunk Rattle

Mark-MsP

:
2002 Ford Supercrew larait.
I have 500 Watts RMS going to 2 Image DYnamic 12's in my trunk and I have a horrible rattle coming from the trunk (notcool). It SOUNDS like its coming from inside the rear bumper, but I'm not sure. Anyone know?

make your woofers face the cabin. trunk rattle > cabin gain effect when woofers are faced out. also, it's your lip... that rattles as well. if you think that's bad... listen to my car with 1300w...

One way to eliminate trunk rattles is to line the entire trunk bed and lid with a vibrational damper such as Dynamat Xtreme or Brown Bread. I used Brown Bread and it worked very well. Moreover, it greatly improves the sound quality as well. Good deals on these products and ones of a similar ilk can be found on e-bay.

Mark-MsP said:
I have 500 Watts RMS going to 2 Image DYnamic 12's in my trunk and I have a horrible rattle coming from the trunk (notcool). It SOUNDS like its coming from inside the rear bumper, but I'm not sure. Anyone know?

okay i got one for ya, my rear dash (or parcel shelf as its sometimes called) rattles freakin loud in my sedan! I was thinking of putting foam under the plastic piece to see if that makes a difference but i cant tell if the rattle is comming from under the plastic or if the plastic piece hitting the rear glass is making the noise. help!

dynomat the trunk including behind the license plate along w/ placing those wires 4 the brake lites etc in a better position. crutchfield.com has dynomat. it's pricy but works. fyi, it will make your car weigh a lil bit more.

remove the center seatbelt and dynamat the liscense plate. its a good start. eliminate the rest of the rattles from there.

Hey if u guys think that bad i have 4000 watts going through my car. My trunk rattles louder that anything ive heard. Im going to try the dynamat ill let you know how it works.

ms03protege said:
Hey if u guys think that bad i have 4000 watts going through my car. My trunk rattles louder that anything ive heard. Im going to try the dynamat ill let you know how it works.
Holy s***, what do think was gonna happen?! Here's a site you'll probably need to visit shortly.

www.beltone.com

ms03protege said:

And I thought my trunk with stock woofer rattle bad...wow man. Then again, it's enclosed it the cheapest plastic s*** box you'll ever see...

I have 2 10W6 in a fiberglass box and my whole trunk is about to fall apart. Has anyone done anything to the trunk look that has looked good. I know that you could just put dynamat on it but i don't want to open the trunk and look at silver foil s***.

I've got 2 eD 13kv2's ported @ 27hz off a kilowatt, and with 20sq ft. of eDead v1, trunk rattle is pretty much non-existant. eDead is the best bang-for-the-buck sound deadener. $1/sq. ft.
www.edesignaudio.com

Oh, BTW, do you have the IDQ's or the IDMAX's?

Scott D. said:
I've got 2 eD 13kv2's ported @ 27hz off a kilowatt, and with 20sq ft. of eDead v1, trunk rattle is pretty much non-existant. eDead is the best bang-for-the-buck sound deadener. $1/sq. ft.
www.edesignaudio.com

Oh, BTW, do you have the IDQ's or the IDMAX's?
Q's...they were still 250 a piece. One just blew and ID is fixing for free.

And by the way....I have my subs sitting on my backseat. There is no cure!!!!

Mark-MsP said:

A few of the rattles I had fun with were the seatbelt tiedown covers and the cover on the rear deck for where the third brake light would go. A little home depot weather stripping and the problem was cured for both. Then the door panels will rattle a bit and make sure you empty all extras from the inside of the car. Like replace CD jewel cases with case logic cases. Get padded cases for sunglasses etc. It's amazing how many things will make little anoying noises.

1100 watts RMS to 1 12" Diamond Audio TDX in a slot-ported custom enclosure and at least 20 ft of Dynamat Extreme. I've killed so many rattles that I stopped counting and I have to do it all over again almost every month (pain in the ass). But, my windshield wipers jump about 1/4" off the windshield. LOL! Oh Yeah, I also have a big stress crack down the middle of the windshield and dealer will not cover because they have heard my stereo. Oh well, guess you gotta pay to play.

monkeymsp said:
A few of the rattles I had fun with were the seatbelt tiedown covers and the cover on the rear deck for where the third brake light would go. A little home depot weather stripping and the problem was cured for both. Then the door panels will rattle a bit and make sure you empty all extras from the inside of the car. Like replace CD jewel cases with case logic cases. Get padded cases for sunglasses etc. It's amazing how many things will make little anoying noises.

I'd really like pics of where you put the weather stripping. this s*** is driving me nuts! i've got 500W going to a jlw3v2 in a custom box and that rear dash is killin me! especially with the infinity speakers i put in i really need that sub and those rattles make it sound like crap inside and out. I know its a b**** to pull the panel off but if you get free time i'd REALLY appriciate it.

DrooandhisES said:
I'd really like pics of where you put the weather stripping. this s*** is driving me nuts! i've got 500W going to a jlw3v2 in a custom box and that rear dash is killin me! especially with the infinity speakers i put in i really need that sub and those rattles make it sound like crap inside and out. I know its a b**** to pull the panel off but if you get free time i'd REALLY appriciate it.

I attached 4 images I just went and took now. It was dark outside so I hadd to use the flash and the pics arn't great... They are huge though :)

I show the panel in the first. Then I show where you can stick a key under the front and pry up the panel, in the two spots where there is a clip. It's actually not that hard to get off once you know this. Then there are two pics of the weather stripping. I used a razor blade to make the cuts clean but first I used a piece of paper to make a template to check fitment and play with width before I committed to cutting weather stripping. Then its just peel and stick. I also put weather stripping on the seatbelt tiedown covers. This clean up a lot of the highpitched anoying ratles. But then you'll find others.

enjoy!

Attachments

• P1010185.JPG
    P1010185.JPG
    324.5 KB · Views: 154
  • P1010186.JPG
    P1010186.JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 154
  • P1010187.JPG
    P1010187.JPG
    497.6 KB · Views: 154
  • P1010188.JPG
    P1010188.JPG
    295.9 KB · Views: 138
DrooandhisES said:
did you put any on the rear dash itself? of just the 3rd brake panel?

Just the third brake panel. But I think when I get time the whole back dash is coming out and getting weather stripped. But that panel was 85-90% of the noise. So I was basically happy with the mod.

Back