How-To: VTCS Removal and Porting

Eh, I got that eg pipe off eventually, guess the wd had to soak in a bit. I got my old manifold off, and I'm now working on putting the new one on. I just took a break for dinner, and I'm about to go at it again. Sucks that I have no daylight now though. I'm putting on outlaw engineering phenolic spacers while I'm at it, and doing the coolant bypass mod. Wish me luck. :D

eting_pro5 said:
Thanks flat_black, just one more question....

so basically disabling the VTCS isn't giving anyone any gains (except maybe before it's warmed up). People are getting their gains from porting, right???
The vtcs valves are open when not in use, but they are still impeding airflow just by being there. The cross sectional area of an open valve in comparison to the entire hole there is significant. What is being done here is not just diabling VTCS, but removing the valves entirely. Some gains should be seen by only removing the valves, but of course porting will help even more.

They're most likely getting their gains from removing those things from the flow of the air... They take up a lot of room on thier own, even when open!

Well, I got everything back together, and my car seems to be ******. It starts, but idles incredibly rough, usually dies unless I keep giving it gas. I give a little gas to keep it from dying, and the rpms shoot to 3k for a while, then back to near zero and so on. One of the injectors came loose when I was removing the fuel rail, and some fuel leaked out of it. COuld there be a problem with air bublles in the fuel line?

I think I bit off more than I could chew with this mod.

Hmm... That's odd. Check to make sure the O-rings are in good shape on the injector that popped out, and make sure the manifold is tight to the head, with no leaks, and same with the throttle body. I would suggest just making sure there's no vac leaks, and that the EGR is still functioning.

What is the best way to search for vac leaks? I used these paper gaskets that came with the phenolic spacers, should they require anything else to make the seal? Oil or adhesive or something?

I would suggest taking it off and putting some Permatex red all along either side of both of the gaskets.

If you can get the car to start and idle, get some carb cleaner, too, and to find vac leaks, spray the cleaner at key spots that might be leaking... If the car's rev's change or fluctuate at all, then you found your leak.

Last edited:
yeah sounds like you have a vac leak. i remember when i put my head and manifold back together there was a slight leak around the throttle body and the car wouldnt run

Ok, so you are saying to put the gasket sealant only on one side of each gasket? Does it matter which side? I'm thinking of attaching both to the phenloic spacers. I hope I didn't screw anything up too bad.

I would suggest both sides, but only use a tiny bit, a thin layer. I'm sure you didn't screw anything major up, dude. =) This stuff happens, especially the first time around for a lot of people. Just take a deep breath, and think through it, and you should have no issues finding and fixing the problem.

finally found some time to remove the manifold again. Well, I'm not sure if it happened during install or removal, but both of my paper gaskets are busted. The permatex stuff claims it can be used to replace gaskets. You think it would work if I just put some on each side of my insulating spacer? Those damn gaskets are break to easily.

that's exactly what happened to me - the paper gasket was dodgy. i just used a new gasket (coz i had a spare). the permatex should be ok

Ok, after 3 days of monkey'ing with the car, the retarded mechanic funtime extraveganza is over. My car idles now, which is good enough for me. I am too tired to take it off the jackstands for a test run tonight. With any luck I'll be driving it to work tomorrow. Yay! Thanks flat_black and twilightprotege for helping me out. So tired, must sleep now.

Eddie, Andrew--You guys run a dyno check before and after porting? Looks like you did, Andrew, but not sure if port job was combined with something else.

Have this on my "to do" list, but still would like to see dyno data. (yes)

Latest posts

Back