How-To: VTCS Removal and Porting

Man, I tried to use some JB weld for the first time on those holes. It turned out to be a nightmare. That stuff is freaking difficult to work with. I put some in only two of the holes at first and it took forever to set, and I had to keep scooping it back into the holes as it oozed out. Then I took what was left in the tubes and mixed them and placed them under a little lamp I have. I check on the stuff under the lamp after less than an hour, and it was already too hard to use, meanwhile the stuff in my manifold is still goopy.(pissed)

Doh, I should have used quicksteel like in the How-To. I saw some stuff at the store that looked the same as quick steel, called fast steel or something, but it bothered me that it did not specify heat tolerances, so I didn't get it. I am a moron.

Last edited:
I dunno, I hear so many people rave about JB weld. I think it's probably good stuff if you're used to handling it, and you know what it takes to make it set.

damn wonder if it would do anything for my 2.3...

Dunno what the 2.3 has for an intake manifold. =) I'd like to take a look for sure. I think that the manifold is actually plastic on those, though... I remebmer hearing that, at least.

wish someone had a before and after dyno... I think it would be a good idea for those who plan on offering this as a service to get dyno sheets to help aid in getting some job bids... Just a thought. But I wonder also if there may be a chance that the throttle body may could use a port and polish on the inside of it. Anyone got any info on this>????

I ment removal of vtcs and yes electronic welded plastic vilm intake

wha? yeah plastic...many cars have plastic intakes....it withstands heat from the radiator but not a dremel :( I'll try and find picts of the 2.3 MZR VTCS VILM intake manifold.

p.s. the 2.3 in the 3s has a plastic valve cover...

The Camaros, Trans Ams, (LS1 engine) and Corvettes (LS6 engine) have had plastic intake manifolds. The most popular aftermarket one is also plastic and gives an extra 20hp and 15ft/lbs. (I have a lot of domestic friends)

30041.jpg

Even the Crown Vic has a plastic intake manifold ... and it's complete fertilizer. The bottom has a tendency to blowout and that's without any boost.

V6 6 has plastic one with the words FoMoCo in it

WTB: Intake manifold for p5

Suscribing and posting up my WTB announcment..

^_^ (wiggle)

Ok guys, I'm in a doozy of a pickle here. I have removed vtcs and ported a spare intake manifold, and I'm trying to swap them out now. I removed everything needed to take the intake manifold off, except for this damn exhaust gas pipe. The one that with the 25mm nut on it. I am trying to use a crescent wrench using all my might, but it refuses to budge. There is no room for a breaker bar, and i have already round off some edges. I tried a little wd-409 on it, but it ain't helping. I can't even get to it very well becuase of all the damn coolant hoses right next to it. What the hell am I supposed to do.

Also, is it really necessary to remove the egr valve to take the manifold off? Seems it would be easier to remove after the manifold is off of the engine.

I'm a lil' confused on VTCS. Once the car is warmed up, is it always off? or is it when the car is warmed up and over 3K rpm that it shuts off?

You can unbolt the upper manifold from the lower, and just swap that... That isn't TOO hard, but sometimes it's a b**** to reach that EGR valve; You have to get it from underneath, if you do, since it's such a pain to get to!

Eting: VTCS is always off once the car is warmed up. At 3000 and up WHEN COLD, it closes more to promote more tumble.

Thanks flat_black, just one more question....

so basically disabling the VTCS isn't giving anyone any gains (except maybe before it's warmed up). People are getting their gains from porting, right???

Latest posts

Back