Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: How-To: VTCS Removal and Porting

Registered Member

03 Mazda Protege5 Red,5spd

i am attempting to remove my vtcs butterflies and i would like to use this link but it is broken. does anyone have the write up or a fixed link to the porting and/or removal guide? much appreciated

Evan aka "Lady Hands" Lewis7789's Avatar
    Donated: $10

1995 MX-5, 2006 MZ5, 2001 Yamaha R1

Post #129 has a downloadable version that I used way back in the day.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...-Porting/page9

03 Silver Protege5

Does anyone have a current write up for vics removal? That pdf is great for the vcts and porting everything out, but I can't even find pictures of the vics removal process
    Welcome to the Internet,
    where men are men,
    women are men,
    and children are FBI agents

Sponsored by

Donated: $15

2002 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by anarchistchiken View Post
    Does anyone have a current write up for vics removal? That pdf is great for the vcts and porting everything out, but I can't even find pictures of the vics removal process
    I wouldn't recommend removing the ViCS, it's a good thing...VICS opens up a secondary short ram ports on the intake after about 5000 rpms...think VTEC (ala Honda)...hence more power at higher RPMs... Removal of VICS would kill your high power.

Pro5

It'll actually kill youre low end torque. High end would actally probably be improved because of the smoother flow and added volume.

And vics removal is basically the same as vtcs removal. you just have to split the manifold.

03 Silver Protege5

If I understand correctly, the vics does not create an additional path for air to flow. It's a chamber with the opening facing the head sealed by a butterfly, and when the engine reaches a certain speed, I believe 5150 or 5200, the butterflies open and the chamber resonates, creating a slight pressure effect and increasing air flow velocity.

However that doesn't mean more air volume, just velocity at the head. For an NA car, the long runner setup is good because it builds torque more effectively below 4,000 rpm. But with a turbo, you don't need that high velocity vacuum because you can create a pressurized chamber via boost.

But if you machine out the sides of the vics chamber and delete the butterflies, you have modified the intake from a low volume, long runner, high velocity intake into a short runner, high volume, low velocity intake.

I'm sure I can figure it out, I've searched the forum can't find any pictures of the machining in progress or the final product before reassembly. Just want to be sure I'm doing it right
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Pro5

Okay, so youre talking about going all out crossover style, correct?

Like this:
    http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...d-Modification

They removed the pictures, but one can be found by googling "Protege VICS Delete"

Registered Member STudMUffin1177's Avatar

Mazda protege5

Old thread but full of awesome info. I just spent the past 3 days reading over this, can't wait to finish mine up and install.
    Sunburst 02 pro5 200k+ miles
    Mystery 4-1 header, mystery short ram, moog control arms, moog front endlinks, moog tie rods, moog trailing links, tein lowering springs, gutted interior
    All about them stickers, crumpled panels, and mismatched paint yo

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031