what tools do i need?

Rogue

Red 5 Standing by
Contributor
:
2003 MSP
I'm putting in my TEIN SS this Sunday. Will hand tools be enough? Or will I need a compressor with air tools?

Thanx
(2thumbs)

spring compressor...air tools are for pussies!...and u also need to do it in a non heated garge in january when its like -10 outside to prove ur worthy...thats what i did

since i'm just pulling out the everything, do i still need the spring compressor?

Yes, there are a couple of pieces that you need from the factory set up. The only way to get those off will involve a spring compressor. Let me know if you need any info. since we just did this a few weeks back.

"I Boost" has a spring compresser. I'll borrow his. What parts from the stock set up will I need to keep?

you don't NEED air tools....they just make it a lot easier....I did mine with all standard hand tools. changed all 4 corners out and it took about 3 1/2 hours.

definately get a spring compressor...you can go to auto zone and "RENT" one...you get your money back when you return the tool....better than the 40-50 bucks to buy one.

haha, I've done it 4 times without a spring compressor... I wouldn't install regular springs again without one (kinda dangerous) but if you know what you are doing then its easy to uncompress them by un attatching them from the pillowball and putting a floor jack under the rotor/strut/etc. and letting it down slowly... easy.

I'm not just crazy, its very safe, though trying to put springs on some struts is kinda hard unless you weigh atleast 200 lbs.

as for installing the teins, you dont need a compressor, just lower them all the way and install... easy

just so you know, I've had 3 different sets of springs under my car, and installed springs on PDHaudio83's car, and AODfan's car... they can attest its not that hard.

you'll need a spring compressor to take the rear strut mount bearing plates off from the stock ones and transfer them onto the teins. the fronts you'll need the top bearing plate as well. an impact wrench i'd use for the two 17mm bolts on attaching the strut to the spindle and the endlinks. be careful not to strip the endlink nut. it's easier to use the air gun for this one because doing it by hand increases the chance of stripping it. you'll be using mostly 14 and 17mm combo wrenches and sockets. break out that tape measure in your tool box and make sure to double check your measurements.

One more thing when it comes to tools....if at all posible....use 6 point sockets and wrenches. This will minimize the change of stripping the nuts. if you get impact sockets...they will certainly be 6 point.

thank you soo much for the help. I'll go to Wal-Mart and "rent" one. Same with the spring compressor... :D

IA_Rogue said:
maybe I'll RENT a compressor... or do i lose "MAN" points??

pep boy's will actually let you rent them. the one my friend went to just took a $40 deposit and returned it the next day.

I just did my struts and springs 2 nights ago, I think my best investment for the install was $20 for 2 jack stands.

well, my friend crapped out and bailed on me. It was a nogo this weekend. We're having a mtn run this weekend and I'd like to get them on before then.

Wrench....wanna help?

Another friend of mine mentioned needing some kind of "pass through socket" to tighten something at the top of the strut... Can someone elaborate?

Maybe, Have you got a day off this week? I've got everything you'd need out here. I'm just busy on Saturday.

Back