Tire Dilemma

MSPinVA

:
2003.5 Silver MSP
OK, I'm going to get my stocker patched today, but I know it won't last too long like that, and, being a college student, I don't have loads of dough laying around so I picked out 3 tires that I am interested in. What do you guys think? If anyone else has a good suggestion for ~$100 then please chime in, but I think I'm going to get an all-weather tire instead of a summer, cause the Potenzas suck in the rain, and when it snows around here the roads get terrible. No autocrossing, and maybe 1-2 trips to the track over the LIFE of the tire. I do drive ~500 miles a week though, so something with good treadwear would be nice too.

Sumitomo HTR+ - $77 at tirerack.com, they got decent reviews.
Continental ContiExtremeContact - ~$95 at tirerack.com, got great reviews.
Pirelli PZero Nero M&S - $116 at tirerack.com, a little north of what I want to pay, but they sound like fantastic tires. And who is gonna argue with Pirelli anyway, eh? :)

Thanks

Tyler

Toyo proxy 4s. If you do a google search you can find pretty good deals on them. All-season, good gripping tires.

Theres afew people on here with the PZero's and have nothing but great comments about them, they are a little pricy but they sound worth it

Why don't you just get it patched, theres nothing wrong with a patch as long as it's a plug/patch combo and it is done right. It'll save you from having to but now and make up you mind on which tires to buy. Just a suggestion.

Why don't you try out a set of the Fuzions. I got a set from the Denbigh Firestone and I must say, they are very good. Since I put these on, ( about 8k miles ago ), I have been beating on my car and it's suspension ever since. I will say this, they will hold the road, and that's for sure. I ended up putting my set on the front, after something on Eustis Blvd tore a complete hole in one of my stock tires. When I got mine, they were $99. a each. I went this option because I needed some tires ASAP and because Hampton Roads doesnt' have jack-sh_t in stock. Good Luck...

Thanks for the suggestions guys. All the other tires that I have had plugged ended up leaking again after a few thousand miles, so I have not had good experiences with them. I think I might get the PZeros, once I get the money saved up, everyone else I have talked to said that they are wonderful. I think the plug will last at least until Xmas, so I should be OK.

Thanks again,

Tyler

Got to somewhere who can do it right, rope patches do not work take it to like a good tire shop. Sam's club I know does the plug patch combo and it wont leak.

Do you have to be a member to go to their tire shop? Cause I'm a member of Costco, does anyone know about their tire shop's reputation?

AZMSP84 said:
Got to somewhere who can do it right, rope patches do not work take it to like a good tire shop. Sam's club I know does the plug patch combo and it wont leak.
Dude, rope patches work fine, you just have to put them in right. Easy as can be... it's amusing that Sam's Club rates as a "good" tire place, discount tire places can't exactly hire the best of the best - s***, no tire place does. Follow the directions and do it yourself, don't trust some moron in a hole like that.

Take your car to a tire dealer other than a Sam's or Costco. Make sure the tires are taken off of the rim and patched on the inside and plugged on the outside. If the tire can be fixed this way, you will not have any problems. I have driven with many patched/plugged tires without any issues. Plugging alone is not safe or reliable. At best, it will cost you $20 per tire.

I ran over something sharp and shiny a few month ago with the stock tires on my MSP, damn near tore a hole in the tire. The tire would go flat in about half an hour. I took the car to the local tire shop, and they said that they can patch the big hole, but they can't patch a hole in the sidewall. I looked, and sure enough there was another hole, across from the big one, in the sidewall. I honestly don't think the sidewall hole was there before I dropped the car off, but that's another story. Needless to say I dont' drop my car off there anymore. I took a tank of compressed air in my trunk, and I would air it up and drive the 4 minutes to work, then air it up and drive home again for a few days until I could figure out if it was patchable. Like you, I'm a college student and can't afford much more than just the payment on my car. I just got a buddy to run me to autozone and we got a rope patch kit. Wham, bam, the tire's fixed, even shoved a rope into the hole in the sidewall. I know you're not supposed to patch a sidewall hole, but whatever. Buy me a new tire if it bugs yah. I drive pretty hard, and I haven't lost a drop of air. I'd say to just leave the patch in there and run it until it's either bald or blown.

With a patched sidewall, you are simply asking for trouble. It does not bug me if you do this, I just want to point out that its crazy. I would not want to drive a car hard with a patched sidewall. That is simply faulty advice. You do not want to add dead to the poor college student moniker do you?

Kuhmo ASX. 89 bucks.

IIRC, costco doesn't fix tires or mount tires bought some where else anymore

Back