*installing New Brake Pads!!!*

xjTRiBALjx

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
I need some suggestions on a new pair of front brake pads for my '02 Protege5. I'm at about 61K miles and I'm still on stock pads, so I think it's definitely time!!

I took my car to Brake Check last week and they wanted to charge me $95 for Optima brake pads for a grand total of $219 for the change (including turning the rotors, hardware, flush, etc.) I'm no auto expert, but this seems like too much for a simple pad change. So I've decided to order either Pure Performance KVR Carbon Fiber pads or Axxis Metal Master pads online and get someone to change them and turn the rotors.

Can anyone give any suggestions on which pads (or any other pads for that matter) to choose? I don't drive too crazy, but I definitely want an improvement over the stock pads. If I choose the Axxis pads, what website can i find them at for my car? (I haven't had any luck) And finally, what is the rough cost if i take my new pads in to a shop to replace them and turn the rotors? I don't want to get ripped off or overpriced.

I'd appreciate the help and suggestions. THANX

at my dealershiop stock pads are nearly $120...way way way too much, although they are pretty decent OE pads from what it seems...

I went with EBC pads from tire rack...have had the greens for about a year, and they are going to need replaced soon...and I will go with the reds just to try them out...I am really impressed with the greens bite though...

200 bucks is the normal price for a thorough brake job...and if they do indeed flush and bleed the brake lines, which is a PITA to do yourself, as well as turn the rotors, it might be worth it...if you can get them to drop the price a good bit and you give them your own pads to install...it wouldn't be bad...

I appreciate the info. Yeah, I think I'm going to go ahead and do that. I don't want to pay too much, but I also don't want a crappy brake job.

Or you can always install them yourself (thumb) I would stay away from the stock pads because they suck in my opinion. Axxis and carbotech make some good pads for our cars and are alot cheaper then the stock ones. Im going with the axxis though and rotorworks rotors from **********.

I just bought Hawk HPS for the fronts from Tire Rack. $66 shipped and got here in two days. Although I will probably have a local shop install them for me next week[font=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif], and put in new DOT4 fluid.

By the way, with new pads, should I have the rotors turned or is it better to bed the pads in on the seasoned rotors. They don't really seem to pulse when I brake so I don't think that need it.
[/font]

Last edited:
yeh I use Hawk pads on my car and it feels a whole lot better than OEM and most likely than the Optima brake pads they're recommending! It's cheaper and I also ordered from tirerack.com and it only took 3-4 days (really fast). It felt nice and smooth, it doesn't bite early like some pads do.

Yes, you should resurface the rotor when installing new pads, especially high performance pads such as Hawk or EBC.

Well I just ordered the Pure Performance KVR Carbon Fiber pads from Pureperf.com last night, so let's see how they turn out. I've been stressin' out over this decision over the past two weeks so I decided to just order them and stop going crazy! Turned out to be $68.98 including shipping.

Yea, I was going to get the Hawk HPS pads from tirerack, but after reading the reviews about rediculous brake dust, I decided not too. (Did order some Khumo Ecsta tires from the tirerack about a month or two ago!! Nice...)

One question...when Brake Check gave me their free inspection, they said my parking brake light was on because I was low on fluid and that the fluid was going directly to my wheels (or something like that) because my pads were wore out almost to the metal. After I told them I'd be back on Friday (yea right), they put brake fluid in for free and the light turned off. 1) Is it true what they said about my low fluid? and 2)Do I need to replace/flush the new fluid and add more new fluid since I'm getting new brakes??

1) Is it true what they said about my low fluid?

Yes it is true. The fluid is full when the brakes are new and as the brakes wear down the fluid also goes down. The brake light is also to let you know your car needs service.

2)Do I need to replace/flush the new fluid and add more new fluid since I'm getting new brakes??

Instead of just adding brake fluid, you should also have it flushed. This helps flush out all the old brake fluid that more than likely is dirty and contaminated. It is also good for every component of your brake system. You would be surprised how many things can get ruined from dirty brake fluid.

I actually used to work at a Brake Check when I lived down in Texas. So I have seen many crazy things that can go wrong with brakes.

Anymore questions let me know.

Thanks a lot for the info FG...that really helps. Well my pads are comin' in on Wed. according to UPS, so I'll probably get them changed next Sat.

Back