Winter Tires and Rims

delpieve

:
2004 mazda 3 GT GFX, manual
I have seen a few of these posts on here but just needed a few questions answered....i currently have a mazda3 sedan gt
currently 17 inch rims with 205/50r17 tires on....
i want to buy some steelies for winter but would like to go down to 16 inch
and can get close to overall diameter with a 205/55r16....my questions is I believe the bolt pattern for the 3 is 14 x 1.3 on five...but not sure and what is the offset required for the wheel...
second question...i know that the 3 reccommends minimum of h rated tires..however how big of a deal would it be to run winters that werent h rated......as the price difference is huge.....i know that the rating is the speed rating but also has to do with sidewall stiffness etc..
any info would be greatly appreciated...

thanks

P205/55R16 is the perfect size as that's the stock tire size for the Mazda3 on 16-inch (it's even listed on the driver door sticker in addition to the 17-inch tire size on the GT with GFX). I'm going with this size myself.

Other stock parameters are: offset of 52.5mm. 6.5-inch wide rims for 16-inch & 17-inch, and bolt pattern is 5 * 114.3

Yes, a H-rated winter tire will have stiffer sidewall, which means for better dry pavement handling on cold conditions. However, Q-rated winter tires typically perform better in deep snow and ice.

I'm going with H-rated because I'm in Toronto (relatively little snow with a lot of dry pavement during winter, and I also do 90% highway driving). Given your location, a more snow and ice oriented tire would probably be more suitable for you.

wongpres said:
P205/55R16 is the perfect size as that's the stock tire size for the Mazda3 on 16-inch (it's even listed on the driver door sticker in addition to the 17-inch tire size on the GT with GFX). I'm going with this size myself.

Other stock parameters are: offset of 52.5mm. 6.5-inch wide rims for 16-inch & 17-inch, and bolt pattern is 5 * 114.3

Yes, a H-rated winter tire will have stiffer sidewall, which means for better dry pavement handling on cold conditions. However, Q-rated winter tires typically perform better in deep snow and ice.

I'm going with H-rated because I'm in Toronto (relatively little snow with a lot of dry pavement during winter, and I also do 90% highway driving). Given your location, a more snow and ice oriented tire would probably be more suitable for you.
thanks alot for the info

has anyone had any experience with tiretrends.com...good or bad....their prices are way cheaper then anything i have been quoted.....any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Back