Clunking sound while turning

Be11ydawg

Contributor
:
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Midnight Blue
I installed the Tein S-Tech springs about 1-1/2 weeks ago. I heard noises after the install but figured they were settling out. I still hear a clunking sound from the left front (I think) when I turn occaisionally. It happens whether I am turning left or right, but not every time. Wondering if it is still settling or if there is something I should be looking at for issues. For information, I kept the original struts during the install.

Thanks,

it's possible that the spring was not fitted onto the rubber seat correctly. I had a pretty hard time trying to tighten the nut and hold the spring in place so it wouldn't fall out the seat, just take a close look.

Did you do the washer trick on the top of the strut when you changed them ? Also, check out your sway bar links. I didn't get mine tight enough when I changed springs and it was clunking a bit too. Tightened em up a bit and it's all good now.

Washer trick?

Not sure what that is. Could you explain or direct me to a link.

Thanks,

Just went back and read that you are having the problem on the front.......I think the washer trick was just for the rear. Anyway, if you have any problems with the rear you might need to add some washers on top of the big ass bowl shaped washer on the top of the rear strut to avoid bottoming out on the threads of the strut piston. I'm not in the same state as my car or I would shoot you some pics. Maybe if anybody reads this and has any pics they can post them. I will also try to find the thread I was reading and link it for you.

For the front clunk, I would check 2 things, both of which have been mentioned above. Make sure the spring is seated in the rubber boots correctly and make double sure the sway bar link bolts are tight. I had one in the rear of my car that I didn't get tightened enough and after a mile or two down the road it started to clunk. Tightened her up and all is well now.

Good luck.

Be11ydawg said:
Not sure what that is. Could you explain or direct me to a link.

Thanks,

Fixed

I wanted to thank everyone that responded. Just got finished with fixing the problem. The nut from the front driver's side end link on the strut had come off completely. Don't know how it happened. Thought I had tightened it correctly. Got it fixed and now no noise.

Thanks again,

Back