bump formed on my tire

badboyeee

:
2002 mazda protege5 upgrading to a 2003
I ran over a big block of wood a few nights ago on the freeway. It was probably almost as big as a curb. But anyway the next morning I found that a bump/bubble has formed on the sidewall of my tire of my left front wheel. It's not super noticeable or anything. I still drove the next couple days (prob 40 miles total). I think my alignment is kinda off too now. So is this tire repairable? Should I get them replaced? How soon should I take care of it? I could get pics up tomorrow, its night time right now.

Thanks

its usually bubbled out because of seam separation meaning you are riding on borrowed time. I would get a new tire asap because the next 'bump' may actually cause you rim damage.

Replace it while it's still a 'bump' and not a "BOOMflap-flap-flap-flap-flap"

I replaced the stockers somewhere around 22,000, I think. From the pic, it looks like your tread is okay, but you're gonna end up replacing them sooner than you think. Just get new tires,

badboyeee said:
here's a pic: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/badboyeee/P1070880edited.jpg

damn these tires are like 140 bucks. should i get the same exact tire? or get a different brand? i was planning to change all tires at the same when the time came. how long does the stock tires last? i jus passed the 20k mark and drive spirited at times.
For $140 a piece for those dumblops, u could get 2 Kumho ASXs. U do the math. :)

Personally, I'm not so thrilled about the wet performance of those stock tires.

BTW, you need to take those turns/corners a bit more agressively (your tire edges are really NOT torn at all!) :D

Last edited:
I'd go to the alignment shop as well if you think it's necessary. As far as the tire goes, you could always swap both the fronts for new tires, and keep the one good one as an emergency tire in case this type of thing happens again. Just a thought...

I found someone that has extra stock tires but used. Would it be a bad idea if I just change one? He says he has one tire that is "pretty new." Well, I plan on just doing that and then have more fun with these tires (influenced by Douggie's comment =D). Then change all tires to ASX's when the time comes..

It's good to have matching pairs in the front and back, so I'd say get 2 used tires and continue the rotation keeping the pairs together. Keep the spare as, well, a spare.

badboyeee said:
here's a pic: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/badboyeee/P1070880edited.jpg

damn these tires are like 140 bucks. should i get the same exact tire? or get a different brand? i was planning to change all tires at the same when the time came. how long does the stock tires last? i just passed the 20k mark and drive spirited at times.

$140? where? tire rack has them for $110 each. my first set of stockers lasted 25k, but that included an entire season of autoX and a trip to the Dragon. your tread looks fine...you'll probably get much more than 25k out of them. don't stick some other brand of tire on just one or two wheels. keep them matched.

badboyeee said:
I found someone that has extra stock tires but used. Would it be a bad idea if I just change one? He says he has one tire that is "pretty new." Well, I plan on just doing that and then have more fun with these tires (influenced by Douggie's comment =D). Then change all tires to ASX's when the time comes..
LOL. Just don't come looking for me if you break your car. :D

Just realized that you're in CA, so you could also look at summer tires (ASX's are all season).

Douggie said:
LOL. Just don't come looking for me if you break your car. :D

Just realized that you're in CA, so you could also look at summer tires (ASX's are all season).
haha... actually i always wanted to take more road trips with my car... maybe to Utah to go snowboarding.. but ya even the mountains here in SoCal may rain / snow.. so I'll stick to all seasons

change all tires?

I need another opinion :)

I just checked out my back tires and they are more worn out than my front. The back tires used to be at the front for a goof 10k miles before I rotated them.

Here's pics of my back left tire:
rearlefttirethread.jpg

rearlefttirethread2.jpg

So I probably should change all tires afterall, right?? :D

Last edited:
Well, it's hard to tell from the pictures, but they do seem okay. Check the wear bars.

But sure, it's always nice to change new tires :D

Here's my front right tire (will be changing them soon)
P1010027.jpg

Oh wow, those look way more worn out than mine. Are they Dumblops? How many miles u got on those puppies?

Douggie said:
Well, it's hard to tell from the pictures, but they do seem okay. Check the wear bars.

But sure, it's always nice to change new tires :D

Here's my front right tire (will be changing them soon)

well, for starters, rotate the tires at least every 5-6000 miles

I actually rotate mine every 5000 kms.

badboyeee said:
Oh wow, those look way more worn out than mine. Are they Dumblops? How many miles u got on those puppies?
Yep, those are the stock Dumblops. 30K miles. Almost to the wear bars.

That's why I said yours still look okay and u should drive harder :D

tires at the front wear out more than the back right? how exactly does tires get rotated?

badboyeee said:
tires at the front wear out more than the back right? how exactly does tires get rotated?
Yes.
Simple, just switch front right with rear right and front left with rear left.

I always rotate my tires whenever I do an oil change, keeps the whole set very even.

Back