2nd to 3rd gear shift

Ryoga28

I noticed recently that about one third of the time the 2nd to 3rd gear shift is noy smooth. I could feel a bump or hiccup before it goes into the 3rd gear. Is this a common problem? I have the kartboy bushings and the redline mt90 oil.

I have the same problems, you should try a lesser weight fluid maybe GM syncromesh

or just ATF. I dont know if it will "fix" the problem but it should help a little.

I have the same problem!
I have a B&M SS and kartboy bushings...
Everytime i power shift from 2nd to 3rd gear i get this awful sound from the tranny...
Now i wanna go to the dealer and make them change the synchros but i'm afraid they'll blame the problem on the SS and bushings...

any advice?

Hmm...did this happen after the kartboy switch? If so, there's your answer. Go back to stock or live with it till the clutch or tranny blow.

Qidan said:
No can do !!!

Any realistic advice?
Realistic advice? I'm on my third transmission and third clutch.

Realistic advice *is* don't power shift. Trust me.

mspdfreak said:
Hmm...did this happen after the kartboy switch? If so, there's your answer. Go back to stock or live with it till the clutch or tranny blow.
Actually it did happend after i installed the Kartboy's bushings... not like right after, but i cant recall having this problems with stock bushings...

Any other member have this problem with the Kartboy's????

Qidan said:
Actually it did happend after i installed the Kartboy's bushings... not like right after, but i cant recall having this problems with stock bushings...

Any other member have this problem with the Kartboy's????
KB bushings actually made my shifting *much* smoother, throughout the gears.

I don't think I power shift though (scratch) , but I do shift a bit fast some of the time...

thanks for your advice. I'll try to be more gentle with it.

Eh, that reply was mainly for the other guy but yeah, please be gentle with the transmission. Synthetic fluid made a huge difference for me, check it out.

Edit: Just re-read and realized you have Redline. Try some GM Syncromesh or Royal Purple Max-Gear. I've used both of those and loved 'em.

Shifting advice...this technique works. I just started using it recently, and I haven't had any problems getting into any gear at all.

This whole thing takes may be two fifths to three fifths a second, depending on what gear you are going to next. The idea is to unload the drive train just before you de-clutch, then load it back up when the clutch is hooked up again. Roll out of the gas and as the nose sinks, de-clutch hard, move the lever to neutral very quickly with a soft touch. This is where you wait on the machinery. Go into gear with mild, but firm pressure. You are now going to cause the synchro clutch (yes each synchro is a mini type of clutch) to slow its gear down so the synchro ring teeth can fit over the teeth on the side of the gear. You're in the next gear, but in going to second gear the engine may not have slowed down enough yet. (Heavier than race car flywheel, remember?) Wait on the machinery again. Let the clutch out without hardly any gas at all until you know it is hooked up, then mash the gas. Think smooth, be smooth. Worry about speed when you get the motions down.

Luckly it's not grinding, yet. I don't have much luck with transmissions (vw gti-two replaced due to grinding before). I'll try the royal purple soon.

Stupid question coming up...When you shift to a upper gear, do you give it some gas (little) before you totally engage the clutch...I notice I may have done that a lot...

Last edited:
Ryoga28 said:
Luckly it's not grinding, yet. I don't have much luck with transmissions (vw gti-two replaced due to grinding before). I'll try the royal purple soon.

Stupid question coming up...When you shift to a upper gear, do you give it some gas (little) before you totally engage the clutch...I notice I may have done that a lot...

I give it a little gas before the clutch is re-engaged when I am shifting slower...just because it helps you feel more "smooth"...if you don't give it gas before totally letting out the clutch, it engine brakes a little bit and doesn't feel smooth. I guess it's because our revs drop pretty quick.

Alex

I'm having trouble getting into all the gears smoothly lately. I feels a lot like the throwout bearing/clutch is not disingaging all the way and is soon gonna die.

Back