Hi,

Does anyone have either of these tires?
If so how do you like them? I don't know if I can justify
spending $100.00 more for Michelin. And from reviews it
appears that the KDW's have a longer thread life can anyone
confirm?

Thanks

well, i have the dunlop sp901s

but goto tirerack.com and read about them. i wasnt joking- they are the best tire around imo

Michelin is a big name, but I've had them twice (although not high performance models) and I think they're only average and not worth the extra money. Like BMW cars.

SciFiMan said:
Michelin is a big name, but I've had them twice (although not high performance models) and I think they're only average and not worth the extra money. Like BMW cars.

so what you're saying is you really have no factual evidence to support your opinion?

I have pilot sports that came stock on my 03 srt-4. Best tire I've ever owned, but at $200 per tire, I will not be replacing with the same. They are relatively soft in that I have 25k on the clock and mine are shot (actually they'll be replaced this afternoon). KDW2's came stock on the 04's. They are a cheaper tire at $140 each, but a good choice also. I've seen them at a few track days on srt's and they seem to perform well, although they tend to chunk and break off under hard driving (more so than Pilot Sports). Anytime you go UHP, tread life takes a back seat to more important things like grip (which is increased thru a softer rubber compound).

i've got the bf goodrich g force and they cost 670$ with 4 wheel alignment, by far the most expensive set i've had....but also the very best tire i've ever had...i used to roast third now i can only chirp 2nd:) will go to track to see my new 60' times

i used to have pilots .... they suck ... they wore out WAY to fast ... and the handling just was not up to par with there cost ...

I have bridgestone s-03 pole positions, which you might want to consider because they're right up there with the tires you mentioned. Dry grip is supposed to be better than the pilot sport ps2's, but the wet grip on the ps2's is supposed to be better. I dunno how they compare to the ps's though. I love these tires though, they're amazing. I like them even better than the azenis I autox on. I drive very very hard and they've held up well, but I don't have that many miles on them yet (>4k.)

~brian

I have the KDs on the SRT and I think they suck. I will be replacing them with Toyo 4s like on the Speed.

Britt

122 Vega said:
I have the KDs on the SRT and I think they suck. I will be replacing them with Toyo 4s like on the Speed.

Britt
What specifically don't you like about them? I am getting ready to order some new tires and these seem to be my favorite so far. I just want to know the negatives with the positives, thanks.

ATL-SRT said:
so what you're saying is you really have no factual evidence to support your opinion?

I have pilot sports that came stock on my 03 srt-4. Best tire I've ever owned, but at $200 per tire, I will not be replacing with the same. They are relatively soft in that I have 25k on the clock and mine are shot (actually they'll be replaced this afternoon). KDW2's came stock on the 04's. They are a cheaper tire at $140 each, but a good choice also. I've seen them at a few track days on srt's and they seem to perform well, although they tend to chunk and break off under hard driving (more so than Pilot Sports). Anytime you go UHP, tread life takes a back seat to more important things like grip (which is increased thru a softer rubber compound).

So, what's your complaint? You're saying you agree with me. You have them now, but you don't like them enough to spend the money on the same tire no matter how great they are. The Michelin isn't a good value in your opinion, which is what I said. Research online and you'll find than at any given performance level there is a comparable or better tire for less (often much less) cost. Michelin's come with many new cars, but I personally haven't met anyone that gets them a second time. Either because they cost to much, or in my case (twice), performed less than average. Most of their sales must be OEM or through consumer shops like Sears Auto when mom&pop need new tires for the station wagon and they have no concern about the price/performance ratio.

I'm running the Goodyear F1 DS-G3 on the '5. Excellent dry/wet performance, very predictable turn-in, no tramlining and quiet for an extreme performance tire. I drive the car aggressively, including corners, and after 5K on the tires I see a little measured treadwear. I expect 2-3 seasons out of them--20-25K max--less if I see more track days.

Cost was $583 the set of four 205/40/17s, M&B, out the door at Discount Tire.

Re: Michelins, Bridgestones, Goodrich and other max performance summer tires, the following Tire Rack survey should be of value:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP

Tire Rack also has posted their in-house reviews of most of the tires listed in the survey. Suggested reading.

Back