40-50 Extra Hp

Hey Guys

I just bought a 04 mazda 3s and im looking to get 40 - 50 extra hp out of it with out skrewin with my warrenty. this is my winter car and my daily drive my summer car is a SC camaro w/ 436whp so im not looking to go ape s*** on the 3. i was thinking a intake maybe some pcm work not sure hopeing you guys can help thanks - TOT

40-50 extra hp will be hard to come by on this car since breathing mods don't do too much on a small naturally aspirated engine. it would take a considerable amount of time and money to squeeze out that extra hp, and your warranty would probably be out the window by the time that's done

damn i was hoping a couple hundred bucks would give this thing a lil kick in the ass :/ o well was a nice thought. if anyone else has any ideas let me know - TOT

no way you will get that much with a couple hundred bucks though, if thats what you are looking to spend, you may be able to get 10whp... and keep the warranty..

well a couple hundred ussually turns into a grand lol u know how it it "while im in there"

the hoe has a ATI D1SC with twin intercoolers feeding a 97 lt1 with ported lt4 heads and intake, with a 30#hr injectors and 255gph fuel pump. misc stuff like frame conectors, 6 point cage, seats, harness. the list keeps going, oh ya forgot to mention that 436 hp / 502tq was with a 8lb pulley the guys at ATI say i can easily do 10-12 psi and be safe! so ill be lookin at close to 600 ponys beginning next year! :) o ya the car itself is a 91 z28 ( LOVE the IROC style).

im still looking for some horses for the 3!! - TOT

You have a Camaro with 436 hp and you think you can add 40-50 hp to a Mazda3 for a couple hundred bucks? Are you joking (braindead Something isn't adding up here....

Sir. SpeedALot said:
You have a Camaro with 436 hp and you think you can add 40-50 hp to a Mazda3 for a couple hundred bucks? Are you joking (braindead Something isn't adding up here....
he doesn't think that, he wants to know how

BTW, nice camaro specs

well if you want to do the math i ported my intake and heads for 28 bucks (tooling) bought a new cam $220 and then dialed it all in with my laptop and it netted me 63hp on the dyno. so it is possible to get 40-50 for under 500 buck depending on the vehicle. all i was asking is if its possible with this car and what are my options. ive never owned anything with this small of an engine, a small block chevy you can rebuild the entire engine including new rods pistons crank and mill the heads for $800 so help a newbe out and learn a little about domestic hp/$. thanks for the help guys - TOT

the chevy small block is the cheapest engine in the world to modify. there will be small blcok parts around until the year 3000.

well, some things you could do to give it some umph, is go to a muffler or performance shop, and have them fab you a full exhaust system, then get an intake, and you'd have a few horsepower...but you gotta realize, on cars like these that start off kinda small...a few horsepower, can make a noticeable difference. Due to the lack of a giant driveshaft that leads to the rear wheels...lol:p

Cheapest way to 50 extra WHP is nitrous oxide...in short controlled bursts.
Best way to 50 extra WHP sustained is Forced Induction...which will set you back a few thousand dollars (3-4k), and smack you around 210-240 WHP.

Intake, headers, and exhaust will probably net you around 15-20 WHP for under 1k.

Maybe not as much as you want, but I'd second the CAI and exhaust system. If an inexpensive ECU flash/upgrade becomes available, I'd be looking at that too. Also lightweight wheels and max performance summer tires won't hurt the overall experience one bit :)

I remember a post talking about how to get the 180hp numbers like the J-spec motor. We have exact same bottom end, just lower compression cylinder heads and crappy ecu. I remember something about the high compression heads are on the 6i (has a 2.3L motor, but high comp heads).
I'd prob call some local junk yards and see if you can get away with one around 50-60 bucks, Port/polish it, and wait for ecu reflash or something similar.
But anyways, fastest way to get 50hp is with a wet nitrous system. It's very risky right now, as no one really knows how well/badly the motor responds this mod, particularily the fuel system. I've heard it runs super rich, then leans out at high rpm......... This is where some Dyno pulls with A/F ratios would be very helpful *HINT.... HINT*

Safest bet right now, is custom exhaust and CAI.

Everything stated is just personal opinion, and the first paragraph MAY be downright wrong, so beat me down while you can (spank)

Back