Changing Tires on Wheels Equipped with TPMS Wheel Units

dajiggalo

:
Mazda3s, strato blue
CHANGING TIRES ON WHEELS EQUIPPED WITH TPMS WHEEL UNITS

1. Remove the wheel from the vehicle.

2. Remove the valve stem cap.

3. Remove schrader valve.

4. Un-bolt the TPMS wheel unit ( 11mm deep socket). Allow the sensor to fall into the wheel (This will prevent damage to the sensor while the tire is removed from the wheel with a tire removal machine).

5. Remove the tire from the wheel. Recover the TPMS wheel unit and store it in a safe place.

6. Place the TPMS wheel unit into the wheel, make sure the seal is fully seated.

7. Install the TPMS wheel unit nut by hand and turn at least 2- full revolutions by hand. Torque the wheel unit nut slowly (approximately 1-turn in 10-seconds) to 7 to 8 NM (62 to 70 in lb).

8. Install the tire to the wheel. CAUTION: Use care when installing the tire to the wheel with the bar, place the bar on the rim in a location that will not contact the sensor.

9. Seat the tire bead.

10. Install the schrader valve.
11. Inflate the tire to specifications (see label on driver door).

12. Install the valve stem cap.

13. Balance the wheel.

14. Install the wheel to the vehicle.

15. Torque all wheel nuts to 88 to 118 NM (65 to 87 ft lb) in a criss-cross pattern.

16. Verify that the TPMS system operates properly. Drive vehicle over 25 km/h (16 mph) to verify TPMS warning buzzer and light remain off.

I just had my sensors moved from my OEM 17s to my OEM RX8 wheels and wonder if the tire shop performed this procedure correctly. My TPM indicator is off but to my knowledge if it is not functioning it will stay off and never come on. I guess I could let air out of one of my tires and see if the warning indicator comes on.

Since they were moved and placed on, they're probably working just fine. I always thought if there was a problem, that light would light up if one was not working.

funnylittlman said:
Since they were moved and placed on, they're probably working just fine. I always thought if there was a problem, that light would light up if one was not working.
I believe the circut is normally open so in the event that you get aftermarket wheels that the TPM stems wont fit on you wouldn't have the light on all the time. Just a hunch but makes sence in my mind. :)

I don't recall having the option for tpms. What models have it and is it standard on any of the models.

It comes with models that get Xenon headlamps.

If the sensors are broke or missing, the light will come on as well. There's no way to disable the system once it's installed either from what I have learned. suxx0r.

Back