Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) FAQ

dajiggalo

:
Mazda3s, strato blue
I recently bought some aftermarket wheels and was curious as to whether the TPMS will be compatible with my new wheels. After spending the past week doing some research on the topic (resulting sometimes in more questions than answers), I decided to post this FAQ for those interested in this over-looked option. Some of the information posted might be way off in left field so for the more well-informed members, please feel free to correct me or contribute to this faq.

What is TPMS? It is a system of sensors and an annoying dash light that warns you of any drastic change in tire pressure in any one of wheels. I believe it goes off when the pressure is below 22 PSI or above 42 PSI. The TPMS does not eliminate the need to check the tire pressure yourself on a regular basis! The TPMS does not indicate specifically which tire is going bad.

How do I know I have TPMS? On the 2004 vehicles, it came with the Xenon headlight option package. Supposedly, the Feds are making it a mandatory feature on all passenger cars starting in 2006.

Where is it located? The actual sensor is located on the wheel valve stem. The warning light is located on your dash (obviously) with the rest of the 'idiot' lights. See the owners manual for more details.

Is it transferable to my aftermarket wheels? Yes, it can be transfered as long as the actual sensor/valve stem actually fits valve stem opening in your aftermarket wheels. Just as a word of caution, it would be wise to replace the rubber grommet on the sensor if your transferring the sensor from your old wheels to your new ones, to ensure that there is a solid air-tight seal. Also, the sensors on the Mazda3 might be calibrated for 17 inch wheels only (will somebody confirm this...). If you get wheels that are larger or smaller, the sensors might go off regardless of tire pressure. The RX8 has the TPMS, so those owners who bought 18's, you might want to use the sensors from that car.

What is the part number? 37-140a

How much does it cost? $120 per sensor (according to Byers Mazda of Columbus, Ohio)!!!!

How do I install it on my aftermarket wheels? Don't know.... yet. I'm sure somebody on the forum knows and will post it to this faq (2thumbs)

Here's an update:
The TPMS goes off under these conditions, Pressure is below 26 PSI or above 49 PSI.

CHANGING TIRES ON WHEELS EQUIPPED WITH TPMS WHEEL UNITS

1. Remove the wheel from the vehicle.

2. Remove the valve stem cap.

3. Remove schrader valve.

4. Un-bolt the TPMS wheel unit ( 11mm deep socket). Allow the sensor to fall into the wheel (This will prevent damage to the sensor while the tire is removed from the wheel with a tire removal machine).

5. Remove the tire from the wheel. Recover the TPMS wheel unit and store it in a safe place.

6. Place the TPMS wheel unit into the wheel, make sure the seal is fully seated.

7. Install the TPMS wheel unit nut by hand and turn at least 2- full revolutions by hand. Torque the wheel unit nut slowly (approximately 1-turn in 10-seconds) to 7 to 8 NM (62 to 70 in lb).

8. Install the tire to the wheel.

9. Seat the tire bead.

10. Install the schrader valve.

11. Inflate the tire to specifications (see label on driver door).

12. Install the valve stem cap.

13. Install the wheel to the vehicle.

14. Torque all wheel nuts to 88 to 118 NM (65 to 87 ft lb) in a criss-cross pattern.

15. Verify that the TPMS system operates properly. Drive vehicle over 25 km/h (16 mph) to verify TPMS warning buzzer and light remain off.

I took this off of a TSB. Here's the link http://web2.iadfw.net/theman/protegefaq/tsb/02-002-03.html

why would you pay for this, if you just check your tire pressure like right before or right after its time to change your oil then you will be fine

Dajiggalo,

dajiggalo said:
CHANGING TIRES ON WHEELS EQUIPPED WITH TPMS WHEEL UNITS

1. Remove the wheel from the vehicle.

2. Remove the valve stem cap.

3. Remove schrader valve.

4. Un-bolt the TPMS wheel unit ( 11mm deep socket). Allow the sensor to fall into the wheel (This will prevent damage to the sensor while the tire is removed from the wheel with a tire removal machine).

5. Remove the tire from the wheel. Recover the TPMS wheel unit and store it in a safe place.

6. Place the TPMS wheel unit into the wheel, make sure the seal is fully seated.

7. Install the TPMS wheel unit nut by hand and turn at least 2- full revolutions by hand. Torque the wheel unit nut slowly (approximately 1-turn in 10-seconds) to 7 to 8 NM (62 to 70 in lb).

8. Install the tire to the wheel.

9. Seat the tire bead.

10. Install the schrader valve.

11. Inflate the tire to specifications (see label on driver door).

12. Install the valve stem cap.

13. Install the wheel to the vehicle.

14. Torque all wheel nuts to 88 to 118 NM (65 to 87 ft lb) in a criss-cross pattern.

15. Verify that the TPMS system operates properly. Drive vehicle over 25 km/h (16 mph) to verify TPMS warning buzzer and light remain off.

I took this off of a TSB. Here's the link http://web2.iadfw.net/theman/protegefaq/tsb/02-002-03.html

You should post this in the "how to" section. Thanks for the info.

AbsoluteSwed said:
why would you pay for this, if you just check your tire pressure like right before or right after its time to change your oil then you will be fine

It's not for maintainance, it's for emergencies. If you're driving around and you pick up a nail and develop a leak, the system will warn you when the tire is low instead of you figuring it out when it's completely flat (and have a greater chance of losing control and/or completely destroying the tire).

well to run over a nail thats standing on its head will never happen and if you get a falt whcih i have gotten a few times the air rushes out like crazy and you can feel it cuz the streering is all messed up so basiclly if you get a flat it takes like 3 sec. for tire become really really flat therefore this unit is useless but i guess its just another gadet you can buy to make your car unique

Thank god you did this Dajiggalo, I was getting tired of explaining how to remove it on every "I got new wheels" post Only a few nitpicks and I'll leave ya alone (lol2)
On step 8 and 9, might want to put a warning for installers to be carefull when installing the tire as the bead could possibly damage the TPS box on the wheel.
In between step 12 and 13 need to balance the wheel, DUH!
Also now would be a good time to put the tire in a tank of water and check to make sure the valve doesn't have a "slow leak".

To absolute swed, A nail, or random object does NOT have to be on it's sharpest edge to even penetrate a tire.... Imagine if you will a triangle shaped piece of metal on the ground and a tire runs over it with approx 1200ish pounds of force. Yay got a slow leak now! IMO TPS is both a waste of money and a godsend. It's a waste if you are a tuner like most on this site more than likely and you regularly inspect your vehicle. It's a godsend if you are like every other dumbass on the road that doesn't check thier tires/vehicle and just gets in and drives. It's also good for those times you get a slow leak or maybe even a sudden loss of air pressure. It WILL save your tires if you pull over as soon as the tps alarm goes off and get your tire inspected. You won't believe how many tires we change daily at my job due to Heatrings/runflat damage.

Other than that Props to ya Goldwing! (2thumbs)

Last edited:
AbsoluteSwed said:
how can you get a slow leak

Dude. Read the post right before yours.

Rock said:
To absolute swed, A nail, or random object does NOT have to be on it's sharpest edge to even penetrate a tire.... Imagine if you will a triangle shaped piece of metal on the ground and a tire runs over it with approx 1200ish pounds of force. Yay got a slow leak now!

woha s***, i have never experinced a slow leak before and dont know anyone who has, sorry for my lack of knowledge in this field (dunno)

Back