My oil is disappearing!

:
MSP
I checked my oil just by chance yesterday when getting gas and the dipstick was dry! I knew it had lost some oil before but i thought i had fixed that problem. I havent been able to find any sign of a leak and i do not see any or smell any burning up. I pulled off the intake side piping of the turbo and didnt find any oil residue.....So where is it going? Is it getting sucked out the exhaust side of the turbo? Bad Seal... This is rediculous.. When i checked my oil it was 90 deg... and my car had only been turned off for a few minutes but there still should have been some oil.

burning oil.. ? you wouldnt be able to smell it if was burning it internally, it'd just go straight out the exhaust, but the guy behind you can tell ;)

It would be the exhaust seal on the turbo correct?

*** Forged Internals... I need a forged CAR!!! (lol2)

Last edited:
Check the oil filter.. If its loose it could leak.
Do you have an o/p gauge? I do, and dripped out about 2 qts of oil from loose fittings over a 3000 mile period. The dipstick read full anyways, but it was still really low.

I went back and resealed them with thread sealent instead of teflon tape and it doesnt drip a bit now.
This was a fairly obvious leak though, since the oil spot under my car got bigger and bigger each night.

Its possible it could be burning oil.. or you could just check it after letting the car sit at least 15 minutes..

Not sure if the mazdaspeed pcv & protege pvc are the same...

but you might what to do a quick search on PVC.

It helped me with some oil loss issues

Did you check your radiator? Maybe a leaky head gasket?

Could be burning it, could be a bad turbo seal- if that's the case, isn't it puking oil into your cats? That can't be good.

rocketspeed said:
Did you check your radiator? Maybe a leaky head gasket?

Could be burning it, could be a bad turbo seal- if that's the case, isn't it puking oil into your cats? That can't be good.
You will be able to tell if the seal is bad..

You will see white smoke in exhuasts..as well as some oil in your coolant over flow tank!

Chas(naughty)

If it's synthetic oil and hot out you prob. burned it up this happened to me also. Synthetic oil is thinner, just check the oil little more often.

is it true the turbo eats out oil?..i had almost same problem when i first got my car last jan and never check the oil...it was branknew so i figure its ok..then few months after i check the oil..it was almost gone...the dealership told me the turbo use a lot of oil..but the dipstick shows it was almost gone...i asked if it was bad.he never answered..but i told him to have it on my concern list..

On a related note...I took my car in for an oil change today, and being the salesmen they all are, they pulled my air filter out and showed it to me, asking if I wanted a new one. It was all black on one side of the bottom, and almost looked like it had oil on it! Also, on the back side of the airbox, by the battery, there's a liquid-looking substance on the little lip. Could this stuff be oil being spit into the intake by the turbo? Or does the air filter just get dirty that fast?

Thanks for the help -

Alex

Well i do use Synthetic but i am losing a lot of damn oil it seems like. Im going to check my overflow tank and see if i notice anything. I hope its not a head gasket. I cant afford anymore internal s***. I lost almost a half quart driving 40 miles and letting it sit. At least it appears to have lost it.

KyRaceFan....I have no signs of leaking so this is internal. Im praying its the turbo seal... That would be so much cheaper than internals.

Acid.... What is PVC? And why would a turbo seal cause oil in the radiator?

MazdaSpeeder00 said:
Well i do use Synthetic but i am losing a lot of damn oil it seems like. Im going to check my overflow tank and see if i notice anything. I hope its not a head gasket. I cant afford anymore internal s***. I lost almost a half quart driving 40 miles and letting it sit. At least it appears to have lost it.

KyRaceFan....I have no signs of leaking so this is internal. Im praying its the turbo seal... That would be so much cheaper than internals.

Acid.... What is PVC? And why would a turbo seal cause oil in the radiator?
well if the turbo seal goes bad..than the coolant & oil mix..

Do a search on PVC it's been discussed many times!

Chas

Ok one more question... Where and what is the PVC??? It makes more sense after reading that thread. Once someone hooks me up with an answer...Im gonna go try to fix this crap.. I hopefully will have good news...for those who care (2thumbs)

Last edited:
For the PCV you need to take off the black engine cover. And it should be on top of the valve cover towards the intake manifold, on the top middle. You cant miss it, it looks like a black plug and it has a little clamp on it. And basically it sends back any excess oil blow by and throws it back into the IM, then to the engine where it gets burned up again.

Ljspeed said:
For the PCV you need to take off the black engine cover. And it should be on top of the valve cover towards the intake manifold, on the top middle. You cant miss it, it looks like a black plug and it has a little clamp on it. And basically it sends back any excess oil blow by and throws it back into the IM, then to the engine where it gets burned up again.
So what exactly do i need to do to clean it? just shake it around? lol... sorry

and thanks

Back