Protege5 bra, pros/cons

clownphish

Legacy TLT Member
Contributor
:
2018 CX-5 GT
I'm considering a bra for my 02 Black Mica P5 b/c it is so grossly messed up from road debris. I wanted opinions from those who've had them regarding upkeep, what effect they may have had on paint and ease of removal/installation. Any tips would be helpful. I am just sick of the friggin' knicks that it really can't be much worse at this point to put a bra on it, besides, it's a black car. Thanks in advance for your responses! :D

clownphish said:
I'm considering a bra for my 02 Black Mica P5...
If the bumper/hood is el crappo, get them resprayed and put a 3M clear bra on them--kits are available for both. Those vinyl bras with the hooks do more damage to paint than rox when moisture gets under the backing. Besides, they come apart when stitching lets ago. Had both. No comparo.

Vinly ones w/hooks are also butt-ugly... (notcool)

Are the vinyl ones w/hooks the ones that the dealers sell? That's what I was looking at.

pro : protects, hides fuckups / dents / chips, some of them have that wind deflector that keeps bugs from hitting your windshield (creates an updraft).

con : looks ******* retarded.

While it protects against chips, most people I know who has had one says it rubs the finish somewhat...I'd go w/the 3M as well.

I have the bra for my P5 and have had zero issues.

Like everything else, your experience with the bra depends on how you care for your car. If you take the bra off before it rains, you'll have no problems. People complain about cooked paint and rubbing etc...and that's basically because they run the bra after it rains or run it for long periods of time without thorough cleaning.

The vinyl factory bra has excellent fit, is removable, offers effective protection, and is cheap. I recommend it.

Last edited:
I've thought about getting one, but only for long-distance trips. They look kinda dumb.

So where can a fellah get that 3M clear bra installed? Anyone here have it?

+ friction said:
Wow, seems like a PITA to remove it after every rain. :(
It's four buttons and two hooks....maybe two minutes out of your day. The hood protector is slide on with 4 more little hooks, another 30 seconds of precious oxygen wasted at most. That hardly amounts to a pain in the ass.

I make it a practice to take it off if I know it's gonna rain, or shortly after I get home after a rain. You can choose to take it off or not. If it's to much trouble to do the things necessary to take care of the car, then you're responsible for the scratching, rubbing, paint baking that occurs.

Anyone contemplating the vinyl bra shouldn't be discouraged because it seems like a PITA...we're not talking about changing the rear engine mount for God's sake! It's really a thoughtless process.

Last edited:
I had bought the LeBra one cause its the only one available other then the Mazda one but then I returned it cause I knew I wouldn't be able to use it if I modified the front. The most important thing to remember is that when you put it on you have to put a good layer of wax to prevent any scratches. Its very easy to put on and the good thing is that for the P5 they're only 2 pieces instead of millions of pieces like LeBra is known for. I found one thing that bothered me when I had it, over the fog lights the LeBra has a mesh while the Mazda one does not. When the fogs are on at night you could see the pattern of the mesh on the road which bugged me. Other then that its a very good protection for the car for long trips. Keep in mind its only meant for trips your not suppose to leave it on all the time.

I had a car bra on my car for a long time. The dealer didn't tell me you are supposed to take it off when it gets wet. Dirt gets trapped under it and it will rub off your paint in some areas. If you don't want that to happen take it off regularly and clean it, and be sure to take it off everytime it rains too. That's what I learned from my experience.

Pretzellogic said:
So where can a fellah get that 3M clear bra installed? Anyone here have it?
Your local window tint shops usually do 3M bras. Have 'em on all three cars.
Also have headlight covers.

i bought one a year ago -- used it once so far for a trip i made -- i was glad i had it on --- all i can say is HOLY CRAP there was soooo many bugs and s*** on it -- i was glad it was on the Bra and not the car :)

I agree with SeminoleMan. I use mine for long highway trips only. It has saved the front from sustained chipping. I first used the factory bra, but this year switched to the Colgan bra, which is better made and easier to put on and take off. I do not leave it on all the time.

SeminoleMan said:
I have the bra for my P5 and have had zero issues.

Like everything else, your experience with the bra depends on how you care for your car. If you take the bra off before it rains, you'll have no problems. People complain about cooked paint and rubbing etc...and that's basically because they run the bra after it rains or run it for long periods of time without thorough cleaning.

The vinyl factory bra has excellent fit, is removable, offers effective protection, and is cheap. I recommend it.

Back